January 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 66

Sonic Games

:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I'm curious to know:

What is your favorite/least favorite Sonic games...

in 2D?
in 3D?
Spin-offs?

For me, it's
2D: Fave: Sonic 2 (Sonic Jam), Least Fave: Sonic Genesis GBA
3D: Fave: Sonic Generations (PS3), Least Fave: Sonic 2006
Spin-offs: Fave: Sonic Rush Adventure, Least Fave: Tails' Sky Patrol

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconelectraamy:
ElectraAmy Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
For Sonic game's in my opinion I like most except for a few recent ones. My favorites are Sonic Heros and all the Sonic Adventure games, my least favorites are Unleashed,Colors and Black Knight seemed okay but it looked like SEGA giving a rip off version of the Legend of Zelda series. Personally they should put the new Sonic games on Gamecube and Dreamcast because they have WAY BETTER CONTROLS THAN WII.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Pfft. You're just saying that because you're a Wii hater.:iconsnobplz:
:iconelectraamy:
ElectraAmy Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Not really.. I have both a Wii and Wiiu and personally the normal Wii is crap, and Wiiu games are a rip off, only thing I like is the little cheap tablet board that comes with it. The only problem I had with GameCube was it would overheat sometimes if i'm like playing for 7hours or more when I first got a game.
I was joking.:B
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Favorite 2-D: Sonic 3 and Knuckles (the combined one). Nothing's quite as satisfying as going Hyper Sonic and kicking everyone's ass.
3-D: SA2 battle - because Chao garden.
Spinoff - Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure - these games were very well-polished and fun to play.

Least favorite 2-D: I don't really have one.
3-D: Unleashed - I never played '06 (I always really wanted to though! This video got me hyped for it: [link] And to this day I'm shocked that people say it's a bad game.)
Spinoff: Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood - this game was boring as hell. Boring.
Agree with both 2D and Spin-off entries.:nod:

As for 2006, that game will make Unleashed look like a masterpiece.:no:
:iconseth2012chaos:
seth2012chaos Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Favourite, sonic and knuckles I used play on my sega mega drive II, and was the only sonic game I actually enjoyed playing.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
What about attaching it with Sonic 3?
:iconseth2012chaos:
seth2012chaos Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess I played that too but don't remember it much.
:iconviluvector:
ViluVector Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
The BEST Sonic games are the classics :) My favs are Sonic 2, 3, & Knuckles. And my other favorites are SA and Sonic heroes! :D
No arguments from me on the classics.:D
:iconmrgamer01:
MRGamer01 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
With 2D, I loved Sonic 3&K to death. The first six zones were great, the music was wonderful (my favorite is still Hydrocity Zone Act 2). Carnival Night zone was another great zone and was pretty fun to catch up on emeralds if you had missed your chances in the other zones prior, or an easy bonus of mayb3 150 rings to 250.

3D game? This is sort of a tough call. I'm going to disregard Generations for the obvious reasons. Considering all, I think what really takes the cake as my favorite was Adventure 2. That Chao garden. That really drew me back in when it was implemented again from the first Adventure game. Much better too imo.

Spin off game...Hmmm, didn't really play them too much, and still pretty much haven't, but I'll say Spinball. Can be pretty frustrating at points but was still pretty interesting.

Might as well leave a lest favorite too. Sonic Chronicles. It pretty much took the majority away from what the games were, and the fact that I was never much for RPG games.
2D: Can't disagree much. Those are great zone.:nod:

3D: Are those obvious reasons being that it was made from levels from other games? As for Adventure 2, I'm surprised how many people love that Chao garden.

Spinball is very addictive.

To be fair, RPG fans in general don't seem to like this title. Although it would be hard to mix RPG with speed-based platforming.
:iconmrgamer01:
MRGamer01 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
For the 3D, yeah. It was just a quick nostalgia/refresher game on the past games in short, so I wouldn't necessarily cal it it's own game.
As much as I love generations, I do have to agree with you on that.
:iconsuper-john-doe:
SUPER-JOHN-DOE Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
By 2D you mean the Genesis games?

3D: Sonic Adventure(one of the first games I played)/ Sonic 2006

Spin-offs? Since The 2D DS games count...
Favorite: Sonic Rush/ Least Favorite: Sonic Rush Adventure
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
2D can be any 2D Sonic game. You can choose the same answer for both if you wish.:nod:
:iconsuper-john-doe:
SUPER-JOHN-DOE Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Oh, okay! In that case Sonic Advance 3 is my favorite 2D Sonic game! Rush Adventure is definately my least favorite.

By the way, least favorite spin-off is that Sonic RPG game for the DS, not Rush Adventure. I completely forgot about that game!
:iconfaster-by-choice:
faster-by-choice Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
2D: Sonic the Hedgehog 3. So much :heart: Sonic CD and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, too. I enjoy their awesome music just as much as the gameplay, which is why I can't stop playing them. XD
3D: Love Sonic Adventure 2: Battle :heart: That's my most favorite game of the series, mostly for the story, the music and the Chao Garden. I also enjoy Sonic Riders, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Unleashed. And I know Sonic Unleashed gets a lot of flak because of the Werehog factor, but that's actually one thing I like about it. I love platformers, so that gave me a good fix for that. :) I REALLY want to play Sonic Generations though. I heard that game was fantastic :o
Spin-off: Sonic R is one of my favorites ^^ Tails Adventure is good, too, though I haven't played it in quite a long time.

As for one I don't like: Sonic and the Secret Rings. As much as I love Sonic, the controls for that game just pissed me off so hard :U But that's about it. I haven't really played Sonic '06, the one everyone hates with a passion, so I have no opinion on it :XD:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
3D: You're certainly some of the very few people who only liked the Werehog. Truth be told, I wish the game had more daytime stages, but the Werehog is probably the least annoying gimmick. And yes, play Sonic Generations-on PS3 or Xbox. PC's lags and the 3DS is watered down. It's one the best 3D Sonic games.:D

Spin-off: You know, I've seen people say they like Sonic R but I never saw the appeal. Do you wish to tell me what made it click for you?

Another dislike for Secret Rings, but Sonic 2006 is definitely one of the worst games that existed. Everything about that game is downright unpleasant.
:iconfaster-by-choice:
faster-by-choice Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I think what appeals to me most about Sonic R is its music for one. It's very unique for songs in the Sonic series, and they're all so upbeat and colorful. The graphics, though blocky, make the game seem so... cute, for lack of a better word? The only thing I really don't like about it is that it's short and has only five levels and few modes.

I used to be so obsessed with Sonic '06 when it first came out. Just watching the cutscenes, though, but granted, I was a kid and this was before I actually knew what was bad about it XD I'd still like to play it anyway just because I love Sonic like that. And poke fun at it for the lulz.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I love the Sonic Adventure games and the original 'Sonic the Hedgehog'. The only other one I remember playing is Sonic the Hedgehog on the PS3, which was horrendous... Unless you count Shadow the Hedgehog, which I was also not impressed with.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
You not being impressed with Shadow the Hedgehog is the nicest thing I heard anybody say about that game.:lol: Good to see the first game get some love.:nod:
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
That is hard.
I think everyone's least favorite is 06.

I can't fight between the 2D and 3D ones though. I have fond memories of Sonic 2, but I'm no nostalgia fag so I don't judge games based on how long I've played them. I think Sonic CD may have to be my favorite 2D game.

And favorite 3D...fuck that's tough. Either Adventure 1 or Generations. Transformed is damn good though. I don't give a shit if it's a spinoff.
To be fair, some would rather choose Shadow the Hedgehog.:B

It's possible to be objective enough to judge games you grew up on. I think Sonic 2 still holds up. Which version of Sonic CD are you referring to? The remake or the original?

You can count Transformed in the spin-off category.;) I'm curious to know. How does Transformed compare to Mario Kart Wii?
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Sonic Transformed blows any Mario Kart out of the water. Especially Wii. It's the tracks that make it such an incredible game. Everything Mario Kart does well, Sega took and tweaked to make it better while leaving the main problems of Mario Kart out the equation. The game is stellar. I'd even say it's better than Diddy Kong Racing in most areas, but that game is a little more balanced than Transformed.

And the remake is kinda the same to me, so I guess I just like both Sonic CD's. I'm glad they allowed you to switch the spindashes because the original one was garbage.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Guess I'll give Transformed a spin then.:nod: I like Mario Kart: Double Dash! the most out of all the Mario Karts, and the Wii one felt lacking.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Because the Wii one was lacking...
I highly recommend this to even non Sonic fans. It was one of the top played games at a LAN party I went to.

You can play as a character that's a Dreamcast controller (boat), Afterburner hornet (plane), and the Daytona USA car (...car).
That game is relentlessly difficult though. But not for the wrong reasons.
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Filmographer
I haven't really taken the time to play all of them, even though I have some of those collector sets for GameCube.

I liked Sonic Adventure 2 over Sonic Adventure. Sonic Heroes was okay, but kind-of repetitive and obnoxious too because of how there were FOUR "stories" going on that went through almost the same levels (whereas Sonic Adventure 2 didn't have level overlap, really, just story overlap). Sonic Advance was better than its sequels. Sonic Rush and Sonic and the Secret Rings I didn't play much of, but I didn't like the latter game much at all. Shadow the Hedgehog was crap. Sonic Battle was a decent game.

I have a soft spot for Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, even though they're not spectacular. :lol:
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I forgot about Mean Bean Machine. I enjoy that more than actual tetris :lol: Plus I love the hilarious/cool/cute looking robot designs :D
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Filmographer
I wish they would make a portable version of it, though I question the profitability of it. I love Tetris-like games as long as they have a creative twist about them. Pokemon Puzzle League was another favorite of mine.
I like the way you wrote that paragraph. You have a bit of assertiveness in your tone.:B

Anyhoo, I'm not too big on either Adventures but if I had to choose one, it'll be the first one. It had more enjoyable Sonic-like levels. Then again, there's Big.:grump: I personally like Sonic Advance 2 out of the Advance series the most but I can see the appeal for the first Advance. I personally love the Sonic Rush series, but somehow, I picture you liking Rush Adventure more. Didn't play Sonic and the Secret Rings or Battle.

Sonic Spinball is very addictive though.
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Filmographer
The paragraph was more of what comes to mind when I recall the games I've played (or remember playing). :lol: I tried to be concise, since I haven't really been into Sonic for a while so I don't have much to go on.

I didn't like the controls in Secret Rings, but I think that's one of my gripes with the Wii overall - a lot of the time, it felt awkward to play on no matter what game it was or how much I played. I like the feel of a controller better. Battle's got a lot different of a tone and gameplay than the other games, if I recall. I do remember liking the different art style of it.
:iconvic-viper-001:
vic-viper-001 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm, lets see

Sonic CD is my favorite 2D sonic game, and I haven't really played any 2d Sonic games that I found to be particularly crappy.
My favorite 3D Sonic was Sonic Colors, and least favorite was Sonic 2006.
My favorite spinoff was Tails Adventure for being an awesome metroidvania... but don't even get started on me least favorite spinoff, Shadow the Hedgehog *shudder*.
2D: Never play Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. It's wretched.:B Also which version of CD did you like?
Spin-off: I keep hearing good things about Tails' Adventure. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.:nod:
:iconvic-viper-001:
vic-viper-001 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was never one of those rich kids who could afford a Sega CD, so I played Sonic CD on my old iPod Touch... I guess it really clicked with me! I actually found Sonic 2 on the Game Gear to be a pretty decent game... though it IS harder than hell. I wish Sega would've made more games like Tails' Adventure.
:iconawesomeblossompossum:
AwesomeBlossomPossum Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
2D: S3&K
3D: Sonic Adventure
Spin-off: Sonic 3D Blast

Least favorite games would be Sonic 06 for obvious reasons, Sonic Chronicles, and Unleashed.
Similar choices as a lot of people except for 3D Blast. Most folks find that to be so-so. Never played Sonic Chronicles though.
:iconawesomeblossompossum:
AwesomeBlossomPossum Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know why, I just fine 3D Blast addicting. :lol:
Chronicles was garbage, just youtube it and you'll see.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Not a terribly big fan of Sonic, but I must say, I really enjoyed myself while playing 3.

I've also been playing Sonic Colours resently (Got it for cheap!), and I'm suprised at how good it is!
Ever played 3 with Knuckles lock-on? Or are you one of those people who prefer 3 over 3&K?

That's because Colors is the first home console Sonic game to not have any Were-hog, team gimmick, or any other bs in it.:nod: Played Generations?
I have, but to be honest I've never really played it long enough for it to truly take effect. :lol: Maybe some day...

I haven't, although now that I know Colours is good, maybe I'll give it a go soon.
If you get Sonic Generations, get the PS3 or 360 version. PC's lags and 3DS' is an inferior version.
I was thinking that anyway. :nod: After all, the handheld version of anything usually sucks.
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I HATED Sonic Generations. It moved too fast through all levels with a stupid hard boss.
Dunno, it just didn't suit well with me.

I like those old computer games that they stuffed into a DS cartridge. Namely Sonic& Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Those were always my favorites. I had them on my first computer back when I was a kid. And now I have the DS version. :la:
Um, you could just slow down/not use boost if it's too fast.
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
That's not what I meant. I mean you progress through the storyline too fast and the zones are too easy. The controls are just fine.
Ah, I see. I can agree with you on that.:nod:
:iconmikethemerciless:
Mikethemerciless Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
2D: Sonic 3 and Knuckles
3D: Sonic Colors
2D: Usual choice.:nod:
3D: Colors is a 3D game?:P
Add a Comment: