Mass Effect 4: Expectations and how you would make it actually good

So it isn't a secret that Bioware is going to make a 4th Mass Effect game. I haven't read up too much on it but I know that it's a thing

I fully expect them to mess it up in some way. I'm expecting the dialogue wheel to play even less of a role in the game, with combat being the sole purpose of the game. RPG elements will probably be pushed away quite harshly.

My ideal Mass Effect 4 would feature a protagonist whose race you can choose (of course Bioware would never do this because they wouldn't get multiple voice actors to do all the lines for the main character). The story would be fairly contained and the protagonist would be someone who is not known by everyone as a hero, but still has interesting things to do. The dialogue wheel will have the middle option available again and it won't break your game if you choose it multiple times. I know that the paragon/renegade meters are iconic in this series, but it's a really crap system. The dialogue options you choose will still have an impact on the story but it won't need invisible points in order to work. I have other ideas but I'm sure you guys have stopped reading by now

So tell me what you think Mass Effect 4 will be like, and how you would like it to be like
Comments79
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well seeing as they said they don't want the typical "soldier-type main protagonist" I don't know what they'll do. I imagine the game would be a little more open world now.
That would be rad. I want to be just a normal dude who gets dragged into shit and is forced to adapt
how you would make it actually good

Kill it.
I was fine with the Mass Effect 3, and I only found as a defect that it was way, way too short. If the new team who takes care now of the game manage to fix that in Mass Effect 4, and give it a gameplay time equal to Skyrim's play time, well then, it would be great. I prefer to keep seeing the RPG elements, otherwise it's gonna be boring.
Yeah I also want more sidequests that actually mean something, not stupid quests to fetch random people their socks on the citadel.

I heard the new team is the same team who worked on ME 3's multiplayer, soooooooo

Not sure if that's 100% true but that's what I heard
Well, that shouldn't turn out too bad... in the end.
i got a baaaaad feeling about this.
In short, here's what I think they should do with a future Mass Effect game, if at least from a gameplay standpoint: [link]

There. Now everyone's issues are solved and we get a new triple hybrid (RPG, turn-based strategy, shooter) genre, and user generated content to boot. It wouldn't even be that hard to accomplish.
I don't mind the shooting, I just don't like the shooting taking over and being the main point of the game
I can agree to that, but some people get to the extreme point of suggesting that Mass Effect 1's combat was better because it was basically "point in general vicinity of enemies, kill them, move on to exploration area".
I liked Mass Effect 1's combat simply because it allowed me to make a shotgun that literally spit hellfire
...and I generally was bored with it because it provided no challenge whatsoever. I want my games to be engaging -and- challenging. Mass Effect 1's mechanics were an unfinished experiment about trying to hybrid KotOR with a third person shooter. Earlier builds of the game even showed the ability to switch party members like in KotOR. However, their final product was far from substantial. I wouldn't say Mass Effect 2-3 is the solution though -- something more like Warframe or a more RPG styled version of Syndicate would make more sense for an FPS/RPG hybrid set in the Mass Effect universe.
I'm really just interested in the Mass Effect universe, so I don't think I'd really mind a genre change. It'd be quite fresh for the series
...really? Because some of your responses to other people seem to be of the rather stereotypical "grr, it's just a shooter now, grr!"

Not trying to accuse, just a bit surprised.
Mass Effect 4 should be a continuation of what happens in ME3 based around the fact Sheppard was hallucinating in ME3 and the Reapers were killed off by the combined efforts of the the alliance and/or the Leviathans.
I hope they don't really call it ME4, the fourth part to the epic three-part trilogy, doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Yes that would be pretty bad. It had better just be a working title
Every mass effect hasnt been as good as the game that came before it, i think they should give up,
This. Mass Effect has been suffering from an identity crisis since the second game. It isn't even a RPG/Shooter hybrid anymore.
I think the biggest mistake they made is that they lost the initial vision they had for the game and instead decided to try and give people what they wanted.

Makes my ire over not getting a new jade empire not seem so bad, i would hate to see the same thing happen there.
As much as I want a good Mass Effect game, I am aware that that's just probably not gonna happen. Yeah, I don't think I'd mind terribly if they stopped making them
I'm even beginning to think it would be better if we didnt get a jade empire 2,
and seeing as jade empire is probably my favourite game ever thats saying something