Far Cry 3 discussion

I'm actually surprised at the lack of a Far cry discussion, did I miss the band wagon?
Anyways, as I have just completed the game I wanted to discuss it with others.
Also, SPOILER WARNINGs!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I'd like to hear ANY fave parts. One of mine is a pretty major spoiler so I just don't wanna ruin anything for anyone... So, yeah.

So, what I'd like to hear is what other people thought about it.

Who's your favorite character?
Which is your favorite moment?
Glitch? Cut-scene? Mission? NPC?
I'd like to know!
Comments74
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It was a pretty good game, I don't REALLY see all the fuss about Vaas, he's a great character, but not GROUNDBREAKING.

The part when you kill him, though, is chilling. That music, and that quote. "NAIL ME TO A CROSS, AND I WILL BE REBORN!" As if he was implying that he was exactly like Jason at one point, and when Jason does this, he would cross a line, falling deeper into the realm of madness, and become like the person he was trying to kill. For a simple shooter, that was a deep moment.
Yeah, I think most of his appeal came from all the promotional things they did. He was on the covers, the posters, he was in the far cry experience. Also, the actor who plays him has a lot of charisma too.
I think some people can just empathize with Vaas. He was psychotic, but it seemed like he was sorta sad, or just really unstable, also not that loyal. As if taking out Hoyt, he woulda joined you or just buggered off. But he was pretty pissed at Jason, so after a while I don't think you could avoid killing him.

Yeah, some of his monologues were great, especially that one. "The world is a diagonal and I am the straight line"(something like that, while swinging on a stripper pole no less). There were a lot of implications to Vaas being the future of Jason, I wish they pushed it more, but he would have to spend waayy too much time on the island to do that. But he was headed that way, murdering for Citra, then for himself, the drugs, and his detachment from his old life. Vaas' last scene reinforces that with having vaas and jason's forms switching places, and the things vaas says as well. I think that's also why people like the character: it was terribly easy for Jason to become him.
Some of the most fun I've had on a single player game recently, but it was far from perfect, which is frustrating:

Pros:
Great shootouts/fire dynamics
Great landscape
Nice selection of weapons ( best .44 magnum I've seen on an fps )
Decent, varied missions ( though a few more vehicle based ones would have been nice )

Cons:
Mediocre characters ( 'cept Vaas of course ),
Poor pacing.
Crass, borderline offensive storyline.
Reprehensible save system
Abysmal music.

Plus I reckon they could have done more with the survival aspects- eating, sleeping, drinking should have been added, making the hostile islands even more menacing and giving more focus on hunting, once the crafting's done.

That said, the first two pros alone have me replaying the game, but not liberating the camps- just tooling around the islands getting into a random ruckus keeps me amused for a half hour.

Best glitch I've ever seen on ANY game: Shooting a pirate Charger ( machete guy ) only to have him skip the dying animation and actually keep running in one direction. I followed him for as long as I could, over hills, through rivers until he simply ran into the sea, like some drug-addled Forrest Gump. I was in hysterics.
Sorry about my late reply.
I do agree with most of your points, the characters weren't too bad but they weren't really detailed (aside from vaas). Which is a shame, because some of them were interesting, like Sam and the friends.
Any save system better than far cry 2 is a good save system in my eyes.
And while there ain't much to the music, it was using that whole "get into danger, danger music plays" thing. I didn't always notice it, but I did in quiet moments hunting in the jungle, feeling all dramatic when I chase down goats and whatnot.

Hahaha wandering around can definitely find some pretty cool things. Like the random dudes having shoot parties, just making loads of noise. Or saving random prisoners from pirates.

Bwhahahaha I've never seen that glitch! That's hilarious!
Thanks for your response hahaha.
Hey, no worries.
the adversaries were pretty cool characters and Sam was fun but Citra, Brody and chums I found increasingly annoying as the story progressed. Dennis seemed interesting but again screwed the pooch in the last couple of chapters. Given how dark and multifaceted Vaas was, it seemed a shame that most of the other characters were cardboard-cut-out Video Game fodder- I would have liked something a bit more dark and nuanced.

Personally I preferred the FC2 save system- at least it offered more than one save slot- it would be great to pick and choose parts of the FC3 story to replay and, most importantly, the ability to turn autosave off. I had the fore-thought to make sure that the manual save I did was fairly early on ( prior to liberating all of the camps )- making sure that I wasn't faced with completely safe ( thus boring ) islands once I'd completed the game.

As far as the music went, I do like that "get into danger" aspect that followed on from FC2, but I found the music itself far too abrasive and intrusive- I just can't stand Dubstep and it seemed really tacky in this environment. With no ability to turn it down ( again a failing with the menu/customisation options ) I soon found that turning it off altogether was a much more satisfying gaming experience.

Like I said, the game was almost perfect, but a few key aspects really let it down for me. I'm hoping there will be some custom mods released soon that maybe give the game that last bit of oomph I thought it needed.
Oh yeah agree. I wish there was more development of the characters. Or at least a detailed introduction to each of them. I didn't really feel much saving the friends except Riley, and that's just because of personal reasons. I mostly saved them out of a moral obligation, and in the case of Keith, to repeatedly stab the bad guy behind it.
I think Vaas turned out so well because of the actor behind him. He has a lot of charisma and put a lot of effort into his character. Doesn't seem like any of the others got that much detail.

Haha I didn't get that far into FC2. haha I did a mission that involved traveling quite a while, and then mowing down tons of baddies. Then I died and thought "hmm well, where do I spawn?". I then spawned at the place where I slept and had to get debriefed and back to the firefight again. I was all "lol. nope." and I put it away. I sometimes get flashbacks, and nightmares... ohh... the nightmares...
You could always shoot around the good guys, they get pissed pretty easy.

Haha I think the Dubstep was probably Jason's doing. It woulda been pretty dynamic if, at the start, he heard tons of dubstep and house music, and then as you play and he loses his humanity the music gets more... tribal or even more nature infused. Like birds being the tune and footsteps and gun-fire being the beat. But I don't know how that'd be possible, I don't know much about game music.
But it all ain't worth a damn if you don't like dubstep haha. I don't like dubstep that much but I did like the field burning mission. Thought that was pretty funny. Also, where would that music be coming from? Jason's head? Or did he program that phone to play it?

I hope this game starts inspiring more companies to focus on characters and story. Gameplay and visuals as well. I wouldn't mind playing far cry 3 clones.
Ahh mods. :/ I got a console version, so no such luck for me.
1.-Vass
2.-Burning weed, i almost can smell the delicious smoke.
3.-I hate when the weapon stays aimed...
4.-When you cut your GF's neck
5.-The helicopter one
6.-The wicked doc

Also: I love to go hunting.
Hahaha, thanks, and I agree with your points!
Did you know the character would get contact high from burning the weed if you stand in the smoke? I've only done it accidentally once.

What's The wicked doc? Name of a mission?
The doctor who sends you to pick mushrooms
Oh XD hahaha. for some reason I kept thinking doc was short for document!
I was surprised at how useful being a loser rich guy would be with tropical island survival.
1. You're used to using Jet-Skis, parachutes and hang-gliders.
2. Reckless driving is a bonus when in the jungle, running from pirates, and when the car isn't yours to ruin.
3. Killing foreigners is easy to a rich white guy with low moral standards.
4. You're used to heavy drug abuse.

I think my favourite character was Vaas, followed closely by Citra.
My favourite mission was the first time you get drugged under the Doctor's house.
My fave animal are those creepy bird things, Cassowaries?
Fave gun was the Bull Shotgun.

I haven't really come across any glitches.
Oh those Cassowaries with their demon screeches. I spent 5 minutes throwing stones at them first time I played the game.
I first discovered them after buying the Bull Shotgun. Cassowaries and Komodo Dragons were the only critters I killed, and only because they sounded evil.

Plus there were always millions of Dragons but like two or three of any other kind of animal.

Started getting really good and managed to take out two birds with one shot.
Hahaha yeah.
Well, apparently Jason does a lot of extreme sports. He stays fit, and while he's a photographer, it never explained what kind. He could be one of them crazy photographers that takes pics of dangerous animals, crazy scenery or maybe even while being sneaky.
I tried to avoid driving. Nothing good ever came from me getting in a vehicle. Usually just explosions, and fiery, fiery death.
Lol used to heavy drug abuse, but a lousy drinker.

Sweet faves! Almost forgot about the doctor's mission haha.
I love off-road driving in the game, I'd say I've only really died once from a car crash but I've blown up and sunk my fair share of automobiles.

Try using the Dune Buggy things, they're one of the faster cars but are far more durable and easy to control when you're tearing through the jungle.

Actually I just remembered my fave glitch. I was driving in a jeep when a boar ran out in front of the car, with a tiger on it's tail. I missed the boar, but when straight over the tiger, which caused the car to do a 360 degree spin in the air. Tough ass tigers!
Yeah, I've only driven a few vehicles, Usually I end up healing once they've stopped crashing/falling/running/burning. I imagine if I tried hard enough I could have the hang-glider burst into flames from my sheer fail.

Ooooh! Are those the ones that look like f1 racers? Those things are sweeet. But I only find them for those medical deliveries, I never run into any when I'm really needing them.

Bwhahahaha If a tiger does that, wonder if those buffaloes destroy the vehicle?
Nah buffaloes are weak little fools that just bounce off the windscreen. I prefer the wingsuit to the glider myself, since hang gliders are just so boring.

Look around the beaches for the buggies, there's also a town on a cliff on the second island.
Plus you ALWAYS have the wingsuit. When I'm bored and running over hills I'll sometimes use the wingsuit to get down faster. I don't get hurt using the wingsuit. I tend to face plant with the hang-glider.

Ahh haha will do! They're much faster vehicles, and they cling to the terrain a lot better.
Yeah, I died a few times with the wingsuit, usually when I can't be bothered with the parachute and try to land in water, water that wasn't deep enough...
View all replies
GUH, I actually need to get a hold of this game, I hear it's phenomenal! It's next on my list along with Spec Ops: The Line.
It's pretty awesome. The acting is top notch.
I've heard good things about Spec Ops, I think I'ma pick it up if it drops in price(I'm not a shooter fan, but I hear the story's great(of course I say that after playing and loving far cry 3... But that's different, okay?!))
The game looks nice from what i have seen but I dont think my pc would be able to run it, plus Im not going to spend a money on something which has this crappy Uplay shit DRM with it
Haha yeah, I don't know the specs myself, I just played it on my ps3. Apparently it's best played on the computer though.

As for Uplay, aside from asking me if I wanna sign up every time I load the game, it hasn't really interrupted me. I don't know if it's a bit more controlling on the pc or what. But if you don't mind saying "no" every time you load, it isn't too irritating. What is Uplay anyways?