Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

How to write a video game review?

:iconcreativity-squared:
Creativity-Squared Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
I just finished playing what I believe is a very good game (Amnesia: The Dark Descent). I really would like to write a review of this game for my blog, but I don't really know how to start. Does anyone have any good tips on how to write a decent game review? What are your methods?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
You see those reviewers on Metacritic. They're the what not to do.:aww:
Creativity-Squared Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I haven't, but I will. Thanks! :la:
:iconlouiseugeniojr:
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I usually put around 20 or so hours of game play into a game, just to understand all of its features, take a hard look at its graphical quality, understand its mechanics, adapt to the controls, get a feel of its game play...I can go on forever.

But more importantly, I play a game about 5 or so times before I write a review.

I hope this advice is helpful.
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Five times as in sitting down to play a few hours for five times or five times through the whole game? Especially RPGs would make the latter rather hard to accomplish.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
Five times is a bit extraneous. As someone who often writes reviews as more of a hobby than anything else -- just try to give an honest opinion about the game. Try to cover what is good and what is bad, and explain how the various mechanics of the game work together. If there's something particularly mindboggling good or bad, then you can focus on that, but still try to take everything into consideration. And don't worry about review scores.
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Depends on the game. Quite a few games are rather short and do require multiple playthroughs to see and do everything you can see and do in the game. Most shooters are only a few hours long, so you can easily play through them twice in one day. I know some of my games here are only about 1h long.

And I guess you replied to the wrong person. ;) While I do write reviews, I did that for a few years already, I know how I like to write them and I have no questions about it. :)
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
For RPG's, I would try putting as many hours as possible.
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Not many do. ^^
I really like you for that.
Keep rocking.
Creativity-Squared Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
It is helpful, but I am curious. Why do you play the game over and over? Just to get a real feel for the game?
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Pretty much.
Add a Comment: