Giant Arcade Machine Idea

Alright, so I've always loved arcades. They have a way of almost pulling you into a game that few games can achieve these days, all poor graphics aside. I'd been formulating this idea for some time but was recently inspired by the movie Wreck it Ralph and the machine for Heroes Duty.

My idea is a giant 16 player machine with game play similar to most arcade shooter games and also a bit of Halo. The machine would have 4 large screens, close to the size of theater screens, on which four players would each play. The game would be in a large circular room divided into 4 smaller rooms with a large platform which leads from one room to the next. Each room would have 4 seats that the players would sit in to play.

The rooms would each be themed as a space ships, strange planets, and other sci fi based... stuff. The rooms would also have lights around the room which would mark the walkway as well as flashing when hit. The seats would vibrate when your character takes damage. I'm not sure on the controls yet, either it would be the guns you use on most arcade games or it would be similar to those on most other arcade games(buttons and a joystick).

Each round would cost between $5 and $10 and last between 15 and 20 minutes. The levels would be selected by arcade employees based on the number of players.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of the idea and if you had any ideas to add. Thanks!
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's not a bad idea mate. Whilst you are still coming up with ideas I would not worry about money or anything like that, just start sketching some plans.

I like the idea of an immersive gaming experience, having large scale screens and huge sound systems would be great. The themed rooms are a nice idea, it would be good to have interchangable scenery for different themed games.

What Arcades have that home gaming does not is that sense of immersion and occasion, the sights sounds smells and touch all contribute to an almost theatrical event. You could possibly do that with your idea.

I know you are just shooting ideas into the wind, but why not? Start yourself a little local gaming community, start small, keep it focused on the atmosphere and experience of playing games and expand slowly. The only rule is trying everything and not being afraid to make mistakes.
Thanks! I appreciate your input. I like your way of putting things as well. I'll be sure to take your advice especially on that last part. Thanks again!
It was just an idea... I'm sort of a broke 20 year old so I highly doubt this will ever happen.
No one is paying $5 to play anything.
Already done.

The US military has, for recruiting purposes, made a sniper game in which players are in a small room with a 360 degree screen and handed an arcade sniper rifle. This was for free in a mall.

Then an individual company that makes stuff like this went a step further and did exactly what the military did, except without a sniper rifle, a rolling floor (only capable of pushing you to the center) to simulate movement, and being shot at by paintballs in the correct direction. The game lasts for roughly one mission of a Halo game.

As for your idea, you're missing as to why theaters are big to begin with. When it comes to screen sizes, you actually want to be in the right porportion of screen size to distance from the screen. So if you are literally right in front of the screen, you want it to be small. Whereas if you are far away from the screen, you want it to be bigger. If you have too big of a screen, it becomes noticeably harder to look at everything quickly which is considered annoying. For the controls, it should be holdings something that feels like a gun or just go home and play Halo.
Well the idea was to have the screens farther away. I just forgot to write that I guess O.o That's pretty sweet though that they already have something like that.
Who the hell would want to pay 15 dollars to play for 15 minutes? :confused:
At the only arcades that still operate in the states, I can take 15 bucks, get a HUGE cocktail for $4, and use the rest to play games for an hour drunk :lol: Maybe 2 hours!

Yeah, they saved arcades by adding bars to them.
what is this I don't... :iconreactionplz:
Dave and Buster's. That's what.
Too bad the only decent stuff there is L.A. Guns, Ghost Squad, Mario Kart GP 2, and Super Monkey Ball. Food and overall atmosphere is damn nice though. Best burger you will ever eat.
Reminds me of Border Break and that game that came out last year in Japan(Gunslinger Stratos I believe?). Games that require money like that are usually with a rank system and a sense of speed in the game. If it presents itself as fun, you should add a weapons system you can save onto a card, so when you go to play the game all of your settings would be ready before the game will start.

Customizable gear is favorable as well.