Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 104

Is realism that important?

:iconcodepurpleyedrawings:
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
People keep saying games need to be more realistic. I'm not just talking abpout graphics. I'm talking about in gameplay and characterization, blah blah blah. (for instance needing to take a poo after a couple hours, or realistic abilities in normal human characters, a slip/fall, etc.)

So, does making things realistic in a video game necessarily make a game better and benefit the industry as a whole?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-bigmouth-502:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
I prefer unrealistic games myself. Nothing quite like playing low-gravity CTF on Unreal Tournament. :la:
:iconmumitomoe:
MumiTomoe Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I think realism in games depends on the game.

With Mario, there is little gravity to jump high into the air and free, anti-gravity money on floating bricks, also bashing those bricks with your cranium won't give you head trauma.
:iconsirmeta:
SirMeta Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Personally, I like a good balance between realism and fantasy. I don't necessarily want it to throw realism out the window, but at the same time, I don't want it to be something like, get hit and die. People typically play games to be something the're not, to get out of the boundaries of the normal world.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
no, it isn't
being realistic does not make a game better and neither does being fantastical

the degree of realism a game has nothing to do with the quality of a game, it's a neutral quality, stop thinking so simplistically
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
You still need to keep acceptable breaks from reality.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
no
:iconcodepurpleyedrawings:
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
What an insightful, intelligent answer, you must be a genius, here's 80,000 dollars.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Thanks. I put great effort into that. You have NO clue how hard it is to hit "n" and "o". Thank you for the handsome reciprocation my good sir.
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconhahaplz:
That sounded really funny:B
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I loved veiled sarcasm.
Add a Comment: