Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 104

Is realism that important?

:iconcodepurpleyedrawings:
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
People keep saying games need to be more realistic. I'm not just talking abpout graphics. I'm talking about in gameplay and characterization, blah blah blah. (for instance needing to take a poo after a couple hours, or realistic abilities in normal human characters, a slip/fall, etc.)

So, does making things realistic in a video game necessarily make a game better and benefit the industry as a whole?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-bigmouth-502:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
I prefer unrealistic games myself. Nothing quite like playing low-gravity CTF on Unreal Tournament. :la:
:iconmumitomoe:
MumiTomoe Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I think realism in games depends on the game.

With Mario, there is little gravity to jump high into the air and free, anti-gravity money on floating bricks, also bashing those bricks with your cranium won't give you head trauma.
:iconsirmeta:
SirMeta Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Personally, I like a good balance between realism and fantasy. I don't necessarily want it to throw realism out the window, but at the same time, I don't want it to be something like, get hit and die. People typically play games to be something the're not, to get out of the boundaries of the normal world.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
no, it isn't
being realistic does not make a game better and neither does being fantastical

the degree of realism a game has nothing to do with the quality of a game, it's a neutral quality, stop thinking so simplistically
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
You still need to keep acceptable breaks from reality.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
no
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
What an insightful, intelligent answer, you must be a genius, here's 80,000 dollars.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Thanks. I put great effort into that. You have NO clue how hard it is to hit "n" and "o". Thank you for the handsome reciprocation my good sir.
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconhahaplz:
That sounded really funny:B
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I loved veiled sarcasm.
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I admit it can sound amusing:nod:
:iconbrennanba:
BrennanBA Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Gravity! That's the only element of realism in Tron Bonne.
I'm really getting bored of modern games, so much so that I've went back to my PS1 and computer games from the 80s and 90s. I'm currently playing the Misadventures of Tron Bonne, which is about a airship pirate named Tron, whose brothers have been kidnapped, one of which is an adopted robot, by a man with a piece of rock for a nose. You run around in a giant robot, everything from lampposts to cats explode and you also have an army of cute, blue and yellow, robots called Servbots whose main attributes involve crying, falling over and saying YAY. It is honestly better than half of the games which have came out in the last two years and the only element of realism in the game is... ... ... welp nothing comes to mind.

Look at the final fantasy series as well, the most popular ones are seven and nine (Seven of nine) the modern ones barely get rated for anything other than graphics. And the ones I'm talking about had cats and other talking animals.

Mass Effect worked well with realism but that was because it took itself seriously and was trying to make aliens seem probable otherwise the whole narrative would have been impossible to believe.

But in other games which are designed for fun over story, like GTA, realism is pointless. Especially if they're trying to get us to believe in a world of extreme violence and massive damage where people simply go, "Hey, remember that Russian guy who rolled down the street in a tank destroyed six other tanks, three thousand people and a few helicopters?" "Oh yeah, he walked into a building and I instantly forgot about him..."
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Man, computer games are the best. There's something about them that makes you smile like an idiot.
BrennanBA Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, that is true in a lot of cases.
:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Depends on the game and the world that the game displays. The most important factor is immersion, if you feel that everything is natural according to the world you play in then you will enjoy the game more.
:iconlittlemissaries:
LittleMissAries Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think that some elements should be realistic in games. Like one example that REALLY pisses me off would have to be female armor in rpgs. When I was looking into playing TERA online the female armor design was basically the less they wear the more stats they have. I loath that so much. When I brought it up on the forums people just said "well casting fireballs from your hands aren't realistic either." The world has it's own lore and science. There could be something in the lore that explains why magic would be possible. There really is nothing to explain why a metal bikinis are better than a full body suit when death by stabbing is entirely possible in that world.
:iconshadowyeclipse:
ShadowyEclipse Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Only if it's necessary or improves the overall performance.

I can hardly say that games like Age of Empires or even ARMA 2, (Which is by far, the MOST realistic shooter ever created,) Are even remotely close to TRULY realistic in their genres or timeframes.

If you want true realism, especially in a 'war' type game, go enlist, dumbfuck. Because you likely bitch about graphics as well, setting aside gorgeous gameplay or the like.
:iconchaosvolt:
chaosvolt Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
If it adds to a player's ability to enjoy the game, sure. What realistic elements might be desirable would depend on the player, though.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think games need to be realistic, but I do prefer it if they have well developed characters and characterizations. I think the art of a video game really brings out the story and sets the town. I think by video game developers limiting the kinds of games they create to realistic ones, they are effectively limiting themselves.
:iconnaariel:
Naariel Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That completely depends on what kind of game it is and how complete the realism is.

I would've totally loved a 100% realistic first person roleplaying game. Imagine all the shit you can do there that you can't do irl.

I suppose it's very individual.

IT WOULD BE SO DAMN FUNNY TO PLAY SKYRIM AND THEN HE HAD TO TAKE A RANDOM SHIT EVERYWHERe oh my god. having to hide in the bushes before going on a raid because you're afraid you're gonna shit yourself while fighting. and then random people commenting on the smell if you do. ooh my god, precious.
:iconpltnm06ghost:
Pltnm06Ghost Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Realism in gaming is stupid. I play games to get away from reality, not immerse myself into a different aspect of reality where I shoot people's heads off into a gory mess all day long. Graphics are great and all, but there's little to no originality for games that try to be super realistic all the time as the mainstream consumer eats it up. So my answer is no. In the meantime, I'll go turn on my PS3 and play some good old fashioned Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, and 3 :B
:iconkagamika:
Kagamika Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Making games too realistic takes away from the fun. Especially when you get really into it. As for graphics, I don't really mind semi-realism, but total realism is kind of weird to me. I prefer graphics somewhat like Final Fantasy or Zelda games.
:icondragunov-ex:
Dragunov-EX Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Absolutely not. That's just an excuse mainstream VG companies and little kids that play COD all day use as an excuse to say a game sucks.
:iconmagnifulouschicken:
magnifulouschicken Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I would actually find that annoying XD.
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
the best game ever is mario 3 for the nes....its cartoony as hell
:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
depends. if you advertise your game as "its super realistic!" then it shuld be realistic. but if your not advertising it as realistic, then it really doesnt matter. take halo for example, great game with an amazing story and great gameplay, and it is a sci fi game and doesnt need to be very realistic. but then games like battlefield that do advertise themselves as realistic need to be realistic and deliver great graphics, big maps and realistic gun play. it depends on the game really.
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013   General Artist
No.
:icontobitguren:
tobitguren Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm guessing you mean like more 3-d? I'm going to be honest, I'm not that much of a gamer but I am an artist who does observer video game art a lot,my guess is that the reason for the whole wanting to be more realistic bit in gaming is so the players can actually feel like their more apart of the game or something like that.
I personally don't think realism makes the game at all, I think it's more about the storyline and game play.
But I guess to an over all crowd who judges things by how they look at first hand, I think that's why realistic gaming gets a better rep because of how it looks.
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
That's not exactly what I meant. I meant more realistic gameplay. Not more 3-D graphics, like you seem to be describing. Like say, characters scream and couple over when shot with one bullet, or the character is very scared and freaked out all the time. I'm talking about realistic abilities in a playable character. Which is not bad, but is it necessarily better to you?
:iconjdarnold2:
JDArnold2 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013   Digital Artist
No, of course not. If they were more realistic, we would see the following in the future:
First-person-shooter: You can't respawn... ever! One hit, you're dead, and you can't ever play the game again!
Role-playing games: Playable characters can't exactly cope well with major injuries after a critical hit and will likely bleed to death and not be able to fight back.
Nintendo: Mario is ambushed by PETA for abusing turtles. Meanwhile, Link can only carry a limited amount of items at a time wherever he goes, so he can't carry everything with him. (Actually, that sounds like an interesting twist)
Movie-based games: So faithful to the movie, you might as well have bought the DVD or streamed it on Netflix. Also, your next objective is realizing what that guy meant by "Rosebud."
Sports: Especially with soccer/football, one of the players can feign injury and waste a minute or two so they can have a higher chance of winning before time runs out.
*spoilers*

It was his sled!
He's actually dead!
Life is worth living after all.

*spoilers*
:iconblargen69:
BLARGEN69 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   General Artist
It's all about context man, depends on the game in question. That said I personally much prefer escapist and more artistic approaches toward games.
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
But not too artistic, we don't want another Mas Effect 3 ending! *bad um tish*

...I'll let myself out.
:iconneonila:
Neonila Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I'll pass on realism and any other useless poo type things that have no meaning to me, I just wan't them to go hire some better writers and give me a good story.
:iconthe-vibeke:
The-Vibeke Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Mario is probably the greatest game of all time. Does Mario have any realism??
:iconnarcisistwaffle:
NarcisistWaffle Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
As the person whom posted just before I just said; it depends on the game. I love MilSims and those need to be realistic, since, pretty much, it's a Military Simulator and it has to stay true to reality. On the other hand, far-out like Sci-fi and Fantasy games don't need realism, since it's not even a part of any sort of real world.
:iconshadowlycan39:
ShadowLycan39 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Lots of people are saying it depends on the game, and I kind of agree. Games like Borderlands don't need to be more realistic. Games like Call of Duty could probably be a little closer.
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
We sure don't need anymore realistic violence in video games.
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
To a certain extent. In The Last Story you could actually trip on things and hit your head on signs while wandering the city, but it was a nice touch and didn't interfere with the game (I would say one of its best, if subtle points was the degree of interaction with the enviornment compared to other JRPGs). But I don't want to have to eat and poo and repair this and that every few hours, and I like being able to swan dive into haystacks from the top of an absurdly tall building and hop out completely intact. Sure beats climbing down. Video games should imitate life to a certain extent but they should still be more entertaining than tedious.
:iconnashiro:
Nashiro Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Realism is a high secondary to gameplay. The most important aspect of realism has to be how the game interacts with itself and the overall consistency within the game's logic.
Bad logic is when your sword of infinity +1 can summon an asteroid to crush one enemy while leaving the entire area intact- and after that battle finding out that swinging your sword of infinity +1 can't cut down a tree.
Graphical realism on the other hand is a meh. Give me Cel shaded any day.
:iconitt0ryu:
itt0ryu Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
No, i think that is lame. Or the one who want realistic games is physically challenged.
:iconmonstrocker:
Monstrocker Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:damphyr::bulletgreen: Idk, maybe.
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hell no. Why would you want to do real things in a video game? I'd just live my normal life if that's what I wanted. Lol, at the same time no video game is ever really realistic. Closest maybe is Heavy Rain. Even Battlefield isn't realistic.
CodePurpleyedrawings Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
It seemed like it was the way the industry is heading. Do you agree?
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
For me it depends entirely on the game. I don not expect games like Kingdoms of Amalur or most JRPGs to be realistic, while other games, like GTA, I hope they at least try to make it somewhat realistic.
:iconakiratang:
Akiratang Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
We are going closer to realism i think, but it depends on the type of game of course.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I would hate if the Zelda series became more realistic (small eyes, realistic proportions)
:iconpillowsledder:
pillowsledder Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
Actually, I think that the fact that games do not support perfect realism is great. It is just interesting to talk about and it brings up a lot of funny moments. :)
Add a Comment: