Nvidia has it's own handheld game device now.

Now there are three new devices this year that will feature the Android OS. I know, I know, you're so excited you just shit your pants.

Check this out:
[link]

It's going by the name of 'Shield' right now, I'm sure it'll change.

Basically the device is an X-Box controller with a built in flip-up screen.
The screen is 5 inches and apparently touch.

The system can play games from Nvidia’s TegraZone Android game store as well as games stored on a compatible PC or in the cloud. Nvidia plans to manufacture and sell the Shield itself, according to VentureBeat.

The system is expected to go on sale as early as this spring in the U.S. and Canada, with other regions to follow.

I'm starting to think there are too many Android 'consoles' coming out too soon and too close to each other.

It's not like Ouya came out first and then was followed by GameStick, and then the 'Shield', they're all dropping in the same small release window.

Hopefully the people at NVidia have paid attention to Ouya and GameStick when it comes to pricing. If NVidia is dumb and prices the thing over $150 USD I think they're begging for failure.

Comments73
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I wonder how long until it flops? The open source/alternate console bubble is probably going to burst considering how many have been coming along.
Good luck to them, I guess, but I can't see this going anywhere. :lol: The other handhelds succeed because they have games people want that can't be played on anything else. I doubt many people are gonna buy this thing just to play games they can probably already play on their phone or their PC.

I honestly have no idea how anyone else could elbow their way into the handheld market right now.
I know. After further review this Nvidia thing is looking like a sure fire bust.
It seems like no one ever learns. =P
Yay! More consoles! Because history has shown us that's what the industry needed!:la:
The Nvidia one is just downright stupid. Bad timing, lack of real uniqueness (there are already dedicated android gaming devices and controllers to use with them), and general lack of forethought. Plus by limiting streaming to Nvidia cards, it means that everyone with a perfectly fine AMD card that should be applicable isn't. PC Gamers with an Nvidia or high class AMD GPU are already a niche, and they're forcing the handheld to work with a niche of a niche. The PS Vita is more likely to sell than this thing...
Reading more into it, it's a niche product for a very small market within a small market.

I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome failure.
...wasn't that what I just said?
And here is an article with a lot more hand-on experience as well as some details:
[link]

First, the good:
-Streaming is actually good, people who played the Borderlands 2 demo could not notice any lag and it seemed like the game was rendered by the controller itself.
-The games that were on the controller seemed to be competitive to current gen consoles graphics wise (but this was with a short demo, so it is only an estimate.)

Now the bad:
-Streaming from the PC requires a 600 series graphics card (the current market is now having the 400 series be the standard.) So you must have a very high end PC to even do it.
-Streaming only works for when the Shield and said computer are on the same network, can't do it over online or in any manner that would make one consider using a 720p, 5" screen over a 1080p 24" screen for general needs.
-Your wallet will be non-existent after buying the Shield.
Yeah, cool link. Thanks!

Yeah I saw that streaming requirement.

The price needs to be low to be successful and I do not think we'll see a good price.
Here's a clip from the stream of CES 2013 which the article cites:
[link]

Much more information there.
Nice! Thanks

Too bad I cannot edit in the new links to my article
Is it okay if I'm both skeptical and indifferent to this?
As long as you're okay with me being naked while I reply to you.
I doubt that very many people outside of the PC gaming market know what NVidia is, while those who are PC gamers will lap it up. As such, I'd expect it to be absurdly expensive.
Remember the Ngage?:rofl:
That lasted like a week.
I have never seen one of those in person.
I forgot it even existed after day one :p
I remember the ad in like Maxim or FHM or something.
Almost the same song and dance as the Ouya, save that this one is true mobile (if the battery holds up) and such, except two things:
-It has its own store instead of Google Play. Said store is already online for tablets and is rather lacking. Now, there is the advantage of people who put anything in this store have a limit on device that will be playing it, all of which use the Nvidia Tegra graphics chip. So it might as well be considered a new system all together.
-The PC connection sounds like trouble. Are we limited to small, certain games or can I play Skyrim or any other game on this device? Is it a form of remote PC or something else like what the PSVita and PS3 does? Not a lot of details to really make me all that interested.

As for the PSVita or 3DS killer, very unlikely as we are talking about two giant systems with years of game libraries sitting around just for them, compared to a system that will have a small library at launch (assuming that you can even access games like Princess Putt) and will have to convience users and consumers to support it over readily available smart phone devices (like, I don't know, an Asus Tablet Eee Pad that runs off of a Nivida Tegra chip and just go buy a controller or use a Wii Remote controller mod.)