Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

Nvidia has it's own handheld game device now.

:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Now there are three new devices this year that will feature the Android OS. I know, I know, you're so excited you just shit your pants.

Check this out:
[link]

It's going by the name of 'Shield' right now, I'm sure it'll change.

Basically the device is an X-Box controller with a built in flip-up screen.
The screen is 5 inches and apparently touch.

The system can play games from Nvidia’s TegraZone Android game store as well as games stored on a compatible PC or in the cloud. Nvidia plans to manufacture and sell the Shield itself, according to VentureBeat.

The system is expected to go on sale as early as this spring in the U.S. and Canada, with other regions to follow.

I'm starting to think there are too many Android 'consoles' coming out too soon and too close to each other.

It's not like Ouya came out first and then was followed by GameStick, and then the 'Shield', they're all dropping in the same small release window.

Hopefully the people at NVidia have paid attention to Ouya and GameStick when it comes to pricing. If NVidia is dumb and prices the thing over $150 USD I think they're begging for failure.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I wonder how long until it flops? The open source/alternate console bubble is probably going to burst considering how many have been coming along.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Two months
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Good luck to them, I guess, but I can't see this going anywhere. :lol: The other handhelds succeed because they have games people want that can't be played on anything else. I doubt many people are gonna buy this thing just to play games they can probably already play on their phone or their PC.

I honestly have no idea how anyone else could elbow their way into the handheld market right now.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I know. After further review this Nvidia thing is looking like a sure fire bust.
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
It seems like no one ever learns. =P
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Yay! More consoles! Because history has shown us that's what the industry needed!:la:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Indeed
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Artist
The Nvidia one is just downright stupid. Bad timing, lack of real uniqueness (there are already dedicated android gaming devices and controllers to use with them), and general lack of forethought. Plus by limiting streaming to Nvidia cards, it means that everyone with a perfectly fine AMD card that should be applicable isn't. PC Gamers with an Nvidia or high class AMD GPU are already a niche, and they're forcing the handheld to work with a niche of a niche. The PS Vita is more likely to sell than this thing...
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Reading more into it, it's a niche product for a very small market within a small market.

I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome failure.
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Artist
...wasn't that what I just said?
I concurred
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Artist
Ah, k.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
And here is an article with a lot more hand-on experience as well as some details:
[link]

First, the good:
-Streaming is actually good, people who played the Borderlands 2 demo could not notice any lag and it seemed like the game was rendered by the controller itself.
-The games that were on the controller seemed to be competitive to current gen consoles graphics wise (but this was with a short demo, so it is only an estimate.)

Now the bad:
-Streaming from the PC requires a 600 series graphics card (the current market is now having the 400 series be the standard.) So you must have a very high end PC to even do it.
-Streaming only works for when the Shield and said computer are on the same network, can't do it over online or in any manner that would make one consider using a 720p, 5" screen over a 1080p 24" screen for general needs.
-Your wallet will be non-existent after buying the Shield.
Yeah, cool link. Thanks!

Yeah I saw that streaming requirement.

The price needs to be low to be successful and I do not think we'll see a good price.
:iconhydris:
hydris Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Here's a clip from the stream of CES 2013 which the article cites:
[link]

Much more information there.
Nice! Thanks

Too bad I cannot edit in the new links to my article
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Is it okay if I'm both skeptical and indifferent to this?
As long as you're okay with me being naked while I reply to you.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Okay. :dummy:
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I doubt that very many people outside of the PC gaming market know what NVidia is, while those who are PC gamers will lap it up. As such, I'd expect it to be absurdly expensive.
Remember the Ngage?:rofl:
That lasted like a week.
I have never seen one of those in person.
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I forgot it even existed after day one :p
I remember the ad in like Maxim or FHM or something.
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Almost the same song and dance as the Ouya, save that this one is true mobile (if the battery holds up) and such, except two things:
-It has its own store instead of Google Play. Said store is already online for tablets and is rather lacking. Now, there is the advantage of people who put anything in this store have a limit on device that will be playing it, all of which use the Nvidia Tegra graphics chip. So it might as well be considered a new system all together.
-The PC connection sounds like trouble. Are we limited to small, certain games or can I play Skyrim or any other game on this device? Is it a form of remote PC or something else like what the PSVita and PS3 does? Not a lot of details to really make me all that interested.

As for the PSVita or 3DS killer, very unlikely as we are talking about two giant systems with years of game libraries sitting around just for them, compared to a system that will have a small library at launch (assuming that you can even access games like Princess Putt) and will have to convience users and consumers to support it over readily available smart phone devices (like, I don't know, an Asus Tablet Eee Pad that runs off of a Nivida Tegra chip and just go buy a controller or use a Wii Remote controller mod.)
"We also got a chance to see Project Shield's PC game streaming functionality — arguably one of its most alluring features. When combined with a gaming PC on a shared local network, Project Shield can remotely access any game you own, allowing you to stream and play HD games directly on the device. The company demoed Borderlands 2 running in realtime on the Shield from alongside a PC in the same room, demonstrating the low-latency streaming between the two devices. The game ran as if it was being processed and rendered right on the handheld. There was no recognizable lag between when commands were entered on the device and when they were reflected on the screen."

Yes, you can play Skyrim if you have the right stuff.
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Through streaming, which leads to the problem that it is only for those with the 600 series graphics cards (at the moment, this is mainly people who have just built a new game rig, though prices vary from $50 to $500 at a quick glance) as well as you can only do it on the same network as the computer, which leads to the question, "why can't I just play my computer instead?"
I think, if given the chance to sit on your porch and play a game in nice weather on a quality handheld, I think a lot of people would.
You're not going to play SkyRim on this thing as far as I know. That's asking for a lot.
Did you watch the CES 2013 stream yesterday?
IIRC they were playing Hawken (streamed).
Yeah it did look like Hawken, and that's awesome
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've only read articles on it, that's it. If they were streaming, then it still leaves more questions. Obviously, it looks like those who use Nvidia will get the advantage with streaming games, but it still doesn't solve two problems: how exactly does the streaming work? (big difference between going through Wi-Fi, online, or some kind of device) and why should I care about portability for my PC games meant for long play sprints when I have my phone with games designed for short play sprints? (not including screen sizes and full keyboard + mouse, 360 controller, and steering wheel support.)
At the conference, they plugged in an ethernet cable but Wi-Fi was mentioned.

Second question is pretty much up to you.
and accessing Steam.

Well, crap for no edit button.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
When will this "handheld gaming device" phase end already?
When we no longer have hands
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Or when people for some reason stop realizing that their fancy $400 smartphones can already play a plethora of games. :bucktooth:
Phones are for phone calls.
It's 2013. ;)
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Lies:P
:iconnervene:
nervene Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I think after about 10 years we can assume something is more than a phase, let alone 30+
Ok, fair enough. I'm talking about the modern handheld gaming phase. PSP > 3DS > Vita and so on.
nervene Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Why would it end any sooner than traditional consoles, though?
Because they inherently suck and sell very badly compared to consoles. Instead of developers focusing resources on improving quality games for actual gamers, they cater to these gimmicks and are actually surprised when they completely bomb. This isn't 1997 anymore.
[link]

"Prior to its launch, Amazon UK announced that the system was their most pre-ordered video game system ever.[148] Nintendo of America announced that the number of Nintendo 3DS pre-orders were double the number of pre-orders for the Wii.[149] The 3DS is also the fastest selling console in Australia, with 200,000 units sold through 37 weeks of availability. The 3DS overtook sales of all other consoles, handheld and home, to claim this record.[150]"

"Nintendo announced that first day sales for the Nintendo 3DS in the US were the largest of any Nintendo handheld device in history.[52]"

And regarding the original DS:

"As of September 30, 2012, all Nintendo DS models combined have sold 152.50 million units,[1] making it the best selling handheld game console to date, and the second best selling video game console overall behind Sony's PlayStation 2."

I'm not really seeing the grounds to view it as a phase when a handheld has out-sold every console ever created except one, including all of the current-generation non-mobile consoles; beating the Wii by over 50%, and selling more units than the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined.
Ok?? Doesn't mean the games for it are good compared to consoles. Also, for future reference, Wikipedia isn't really a valid source for supporting an argument. :pat:
Sales are the best way to determine whether the population finds a product to be good. You can do the rest of the work in checking the citations rather than me spoon-feeding you everything that you obviously didn't look up before making broad statements, and unnecessarily (and confusingly) topping it off with a smarmy emoticon because I took all of 20 seconds to actually check up what you were saying. In doing so, I found several articles showing sales figures as reported by the manufacturers themselves which revealed nearly the complete opposite of what you had said with "sell very badly compared to consoles".

The most significant piece of supporting evidence from you for your statements, as far as I can tell, is this one: "Because they inherently suck". The source was yourself, which, for future reference, I'm not sure is really a valid source for supporting an argument.
(1 Reply)
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
When Nintendo pulls out of the handheld market, then we can declare the phrase dead. Since 197X.
Eh, I personally think the glory days died around the launch of the DS, maybe even the SP. I was referring to the more modern devices like the PSP, 3DS, Vita, etc.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I can partially agree, the SP was a pinnacle of portability design, and sound.
Oh man, that backlight was revolutionary in my mind back then. I had a shitty little light/cover thingy for my GBA that would drain my battery and wouldn't even light the entire screen, only the top part.
Add a Comment: