Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Questions

:iconnokapiplz:
Have you ever seen someone get harassed for simply not liking videogames? I saw that happen in public recently and it did not go down well.

It seems some people think that disliking videogames in general is equivalent to supporting the censors. And yes, that was part of the argument.

Furthermore, I'd like to ask if you had ever done this to someone. I really want to know how common this is out of selfish curiosity.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkarmageddin:
I am big gamer myself so of coarse I don't oppose the. The people guilty for this kind of negative thinking towards games are school teachers in my experience anyway.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I figure there's a fairly big difference between disliking videogames because they don't appeal to you or whatever and actively opposing them purely because of what they are. I don't have a problem with people disliking videogames but opposing them is an outdated and stupid way to be... Mostly because almost everything they think/claim about videogames is bullshit.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Jan 7, 2013  Student Interface Designer
I don't think I've ever seen anyone get harassed , but I have seen a discussion revolving around the "merits" of video games as a hobby. Fortunately, I surround myself with people that acknowledge that they are a waste of time as much as any entertainment medium, but also see the artistic integrity and pure fun that can be found in games.
That's an interesting perspective I rarely see in people.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Jan 7, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Well me and my friends are all avid gamers, but it's silly to think that video games are less of a "waste of time" than watching a movie or reading a book. All entertainment medias can be considered a waste of time, but I think if it enriches your mind and life, who's anyone to judge?
It depends from person to person and how they'd rather spend their time.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No and no.

Most people I've met who dislike video games use the excuse of it being a "waste of time", though the majority also watch movies and engage in other pointless hobbies. When it comes to arguments, I usually like to point out at their "waste of time" argument. As for being a supporter of the censors, that usually has nothing to do with anything. I vaguely remember a time when people thought gamers were the equivalent of losers. What did that have to do with supporting censorship? People disliked videogames before SOPA, ACTA and all other equivalent bills. This is just my opinion, though. :shrug:
Thanks for the input.
Add a Comment: