Starving for a good RPG HELP

As the title says ive been STARVING for a good RPG game, dark souls is pretty fun but i want something different for a change can you help me, i dont care how old the game is, so far ive played

Dragon Age Origins
DragonAge2
Skyrim
DungeonSiege3
Witcher2
Fable3
soon Dragons dogma(but my sis is bringing it to me so itl take about 2 weeks)
Thanx already :D
And dear cyberbully, dont bother ill just lock you out immedietly
Comments51
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.
Wha? Dark Souls IS different haha. But I feel you. Try Mass Effect, if you start from the first game it really gets immersive when you carry your save-data to the second and third games. Deux Ex Machina: Human Revolution was really good!
The World Ends with You for the DS. Awesome soundtrack, great gameplay, and a interesting story. The only thing I would say is bad about it is that some of the controls are not so good, but nothing that will kick the game below a 'alright'.
You seem to be more focused on WRPGs, which I don't really have much experience with. If you're willing to venture into JRPG's, then Persona 4 is a standout example. It has an engaging plot, deep characters and a challenging but rewarding battle system. It also has a wonderful soundtrack, if you don't mind the occasional J-pop. Do note that it is turn-based and very text-heavy, which may understandably turn you off. If you can get past that, though, you'll see why it's been called "the PS2's last great game." (There was recently a PS Vita port released that added extra content, and there's also a sequel that's a fighting game)

If you want something not turn-based, there is the ubiquitous Kingdom Hearts series and the various Tales games, which are both more-or-less action-based. Kingdom Hearts has some good fast-paced gameplay and has some great music, but the character designs are JRPG cliches to the point of parody, and the story has long stopped making any sense. Still, a lot of fun. Meanwhile, Tales games are a bit more "deep" and utilize a sort of "field" of combat when you encounter monsters. They're also known for playing up JRPG cliches and then subverting them rather brutally.

There's also the classic suggestions like Final Fantasy, etc. Be careful of modern JRPGs, though, because nowadays more and more of them pander rather blatantly to otaku fanboys. Imagine bringing this game up to the Gamestop counter...

I've read that the Diablo series is great, although 3 is divisive. If you want something more "modern," I've heard great things about the Fallout series. Nethack and Dwarf Fortress are more esoteric (and very old), but have devoted fanbases.

Finally a special mention has to go to Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, a freeware RPG that stars former basketball great Charles Barkley in a post-cyperpocalypse of Neo New York, where b-ball has been banned after Barkley performed a "Chaos Dunk" that destroyed half of New York. It's a hilarious parody of JRPGs, but also strangely engaging at the same time. Also, Space Jam is canon in this game.
Argh, I wish I could find a copy of Xenoblade for less than $100. =P If you're willing to go as old school as some of these other RPGs mentioned (which are fantastic, btw), you could also try Xenogears. Gotta love the Japanese mind-boink, and the characters are wonderful. So was the music, for its time--I still keep some of it on my computer!
Mass Effect. Mass Effect. Mass Effect.
Sheperd sheperd sheperd :D
Look at earlier comments - he said he's played all of them already, just forgot to mention ;o
If you don't mind JRPG try Lost Odyssey and ofc FF games (some of the more recent are a bit meh) and Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Also with your previously played games (I've played all of them except Witcher and DungeonSiege) you will LOVE Dragon's Dogma, so it's great you're getting that, an excellent and underrated game. I was going to suggest ME but I noted in your comments you'd played it already ;]
Yea ı tried playing my friends dragons dogma backup but the game wouldnt let me go beyond the chimerra, i must have ALMOST killed it about 10 times now TT-TT Alas i have to wait for my sis *sigh*. I played fallout but i didnt like the general setting, got bored after a week.
It'll be worth the wait, just be patient ;] the whole "pawns" idea is really unique to the game and I love it! I know what you mean with Fallout, it's not to everyone's tastes (admittedly, I didn't ever finish it xD). It's a shame I'm actually at a loss to more good western RPGs, the market is more tailored to shooters these days sadly :c
Have you tried Torchlight? by the way
Any system in particular you looking for RPG's on?
PC, Xbox, SNES, PSX, etc?
I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but Neverwinter Nights is worth a try. It's a lot like Dragon Age, but pretty old (it's also from Bioware) :) Arx Fatalis is good too, and so is the Thief-series (I'm not sure if it's rpg though...) aaaaand then there's Deus Ex, where your dialogue options can have affect on the game, I'm not sure if it's rpg either though. But you can basically choose your personality, so it's kinda like rpg. You just can't make your own character or choose his combat style (like in DA). And of course there's always RenPy-games ([link]) if 2D is your cup of tea or it doesn't matter if it isn't in 3D ^^
I've always wanted to play Neverwinter Nights but I can never find it anywhere. wish it was on steam :(
Yea, I've played Arx Fatalis too. Got into playing it because of X-play showing how you had to eat to survive, including eating a dog.
Not that really appealed to me haha
[link] Here's a link for download if you're interested ^-^
Haha, that's one of the reasons why Arx Fatalis seemed so interesting x3
Wow! Thanks for the link! :nod:
Definitely want to Download Neverwinter nights.
Yea too bad I never got to finish it though.
Might reconsider playing it on PC this time ^_^
:) You're welcome!
Check the website www.gog.com They have NWN and other old RPG classics. Also deus ex etc.
they sell many old (legal) games and DRM-free! The site is owned by creators of the Witcher.
Whoa! thanks!:nod:
So many classics I couldn't play back then.
Dragon's Dogma is worth the wait. I got to try the extended Adventure demo on the PSN and it's fantastic. Think of Skyrim, now make fighting with anything besides stealth and magic actually fun for once.

Kingdoms of Amalur (kind of like Fable 3 but without Molyneux's broken promises)

Mass Effect 1-3 (they're worth it if you just mute the speakers and turn off your screen in the last five minutes)

Dungeons and Dragons Online (seriously, it's got a good balance between RPG mechanics of old and some action gameplay)

Neverwinter (releasing soon, with user generated content being a key feature)

KotOR 2 (yes you should play the first one to get the back story but oh my gosh is 2 better once you have the restored content mod)

Fallout series (including the Bethesda/Obsidian entires)
Like =AzamFox13 said, if you dont mind dated (but still beautiful imo) graphics then Baldurs Gate 1&2 with their expansions are probably some of the best games you can find. Combat is quite strategic and the story unfolds slowly but its really great overall. I wouldnt compare them directly, but DA: O occasionally feels like an updated version, just with a more generic setting.

If you dont mind even more text (almost one million words, i read somewhere) and enjoy a somewhat strange and morbid setting then Planescape: Torment is just as good. Some of the 3d generated visuals havent aged well though, but it doesnt really matter.

Both can be modded quite extensively, there are community made bug fixes, widescreen mods/high res interface fixes and add ons available that really help to improve the playability nowadays.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.
It's about vampire societies and how vampires would blend in in modern-day life with humans without being discovered. You play as a vampire (create your own character) and experience an amazing main quest storyline, and some of the side quests are SO goofy. It has a lot of replay ability; it has 5 different endings and everything you say or do has consequences.
I wholeheartedly recommend this. The gameplay and overall execution is fantastic. One of my favorite RPGs! It really deserves more fame.

Indigo Prophecy is a weird one. But very good.
It's very story-based. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm working on it. If you're a PC gamer, be prepared to want to smash your keyboard; the controls are really weird. But beside that, if you're looking for a memorable game with unique gameplay, this is for you.

And you probably already know of Fallout 3 and Oblivion (or any Bethesda game). If you haven't played those, you should. Definitely.
I'd say Fallout 3 and Bloodlines are tied of my favorite games.
Wow, that was a long post.
Indigo Prophecy is a very nice game but it doesn't count as RPG speaking of the gameplay.
Hmm. I stand corrected.