Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Best case for Gaming as a higher medium?

:iconpaulprb:
paulprb Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I always supported that video games are the highest, most immersive form of media. Pictures let us see art. Music lets us hear art. Film does both. But only games let us feel it, in the strictest sense of the word. Meaning can be embedded into the visuals, the sound and most importantly the mechanics.

If you agree, tell me what you think the best case for gaming as a higher medium is?

My vote goes out to Spec Ops: The Line.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
I vote the same. Spec Ops: The Line is a fantastic example. So is the Walking Dead.

I'd also try to argue Dead Space, as it's almost like performance art in how well its scenarios play out and are handled (not all art has to have an overt message. sometimes it's just nice to look at/experience).
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I would say Bastion, but I wouldn't be able to back up that claim since I don't really understand.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The story is narrated as you play it versus narrating then the player having to do it? (Almost) no cutscenes?
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Sure!
:iconthethirdcartel:
theThirdCartel Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Spec Ops: The Line is a pretty good candidate, though the ME trilogy is a better example. Max Payne 1 is also an example of good immersive story-telling.
I just liked Spec Ops because it made you hurt along side Walker, since you started to realize what you were doing was so terrible but at the same time the only way to progress was to keep doing it. Interesting POV. And ME is my favourite trilogy :D so I definitely support that being on the list.
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Photographer
I'm fixing to trade in a game for Spec Ops: The Line! Watched a little bit of gameplay and I'm baited. Can't wait to play it!

I know I talk a lot about Red Dead Redemption but it is seriously my favorite game. You're playing an ex outlaw who's trying to fix his life but as usual the government likes to screw things up and he gets caught in the middle of it. It's an awesome experience and I've played it so much.
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Mother 3 is a good example of gaming as a means of telling a story.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I wouldn't argue that it is the best medium as it has a hard time conveying the inner thoughts of a person very well and cannot pull certain tricks that movie/tv shows and books can pull off. Music can say something much faster and leave a stronger impact.

As for if games are a form of art, I would say yes, but not in the way of "oh look how realistic I can make this!" or pointing to some character animation as proof (while games like Ookami and Skyrim has impressive feets themselves, what they do visually doesn't show what games can do.) The games that best express the experience in a story includes Journey (obvious reasons,) any Animal Crossing game (just the fact that you are part of a world that you can understand but is so different that the first one can really make an impression,) Halo Reach (a storyline that is almost meant to solely torture Halo fans,) as well as plenty of other games.

And I would argue that games rub off to people in different ways the same way a painting or a movie does. Some say that there is nothing much to it, while others took it pretty deeply. Then there is always the crap, but this has happened for every form of media.
With gaming though, you can allow a viewer to experience the inner workings of a character in a way that non-interactive media cannot. Take Spec Ops again, as the narrative forces the character to make more morally reprehensible decisions it has a stronger impact because it's ultimately the player that has to wrestle with their own moral judgements.

I'm curious as to know what tricks that can be displayed graphically or aurally in a movie/tv show that can't be done in games? Also if games incorporate music with higher context than music by themselves, couldn't it be said that games use music more effectively?
Add a Comment: