Sony files patent to lock out used games on system!

[link]

what this pretty much means with this, games bought can only be used once on a single console and nowhere else-effectively killing any used/pre-owned games from being used. needless to say,I'm pretty wary of how this will work out. what are your thoughts?
Comments70
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I don't know alot of people with PS3s, nor do I know alot of folks who play the games I do, so I'm really not at all concerned about resale, and the case would probably remain the same with a PS4. What I do worry about is owning hundreds of dollars worth of games that can't be played because the only system they're allowed on was damaged beyond repair in some freak accident.

But that's if they get the patent, and if they actually implement it. They have a few other patents under their belt that would displease the general gaming public, but have wisely opted not to implement them. There has been nothing but backlash on this particular patent, so I'd be pretty surprised if it actually went through. Their commercials-in-video-games patent is far more likely to make it onto a system. Until the system is ready to release, though, I wouldn't put too much thought towards it.

In the end, it's their perogative. If they want to flush their business down the toilet, let them. I can think of plenty of other things I'd be happy to spend the console/game money on. :)
Wait, people still pay attention to Sony?

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they don't go bankrupt by 2015.
Its like this, if sony locks out used games i wont buy the next playstation.
Well, conveniently I wasn't planning on getting a PS4 anyway. Glad to see my faith in the PC was well founded. Now Linux just needs to start making itself user friendly. *begins laughing very hard at the last sentence*
Well, I'm glad you were able to afford "making your own PC from scratch". Most of us sure can't.
You could afford a $600 console when it came out, but you can't afford to spend $600 on PC parts? I'm skeptical.
There are exclusives on those consoles.

Also, I don't have to risk breaking any parts putting them together as much as on a PC.
Not many; the only consoles with sizeable libraries of exlusives anymore are made by Nintendo.
And besides, I'm not sure what I want to play on PC anyway. Most of the popular ones, i.e. Dead Space or Left 4 Dead, are too "grim and gritty" for my taste.
TF2, Counterstrike, Starcraft, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Amnesia, STALKER, Crysis, the Witcher, Total War, Civilization 5, ARMA2, The Old Republic, Penumbra, War Game: European Escalation, just to name a few. Then you get the best multi-plats at generally higher quality than they are on consoles.

I personally suggest you get a PC, since 99% of XBox/PS3 games can be plaid on it, and Nintendo systems so you can get their exclusives too.
View all replies
...I got a basic PC on sale, got some ram, upgraded the GPU twice. In comparison to buying two consoles at launch, it was cheaper.
LOL I love this. It will never work mind you because SONY will make that one mistake that EA made with Origin and forget that Valve do not charge the gamer the earth for what is basiclly 1's and 0's. They understand that you as the gamer do not want to be or may not be able to be online all the time and that paying for a game more than once is a stupid concept. And the most important point of all that makes Steam (and emulation) so appealing is that some discontinued games are still as popular as they were on release.

DRM for such games is pointless as they have little to no market value by the industry's own idiotic rules. Look at the original Halo for example (not anniversary). If you buy it now and your charged more than £2 then you my friend are an idiot and have been conned. And how many of you would still pay money to play street figher II or Ghouls N' Ghosts? Or Pitfall? Would anyone actuall pay to play PONG or Space Invaders? That's why when they bring out some of the older games, they do it as a compilation because it is the only way to trick a hapless gamer into thinking it's still worth money.

Games and by extention code has no real world value because it doesn't cost anything to make other than the time of the development team to write it. Ask yourself what does a persons time cost and then try to give it a market value and you start getting into some scary shit. Don't believe me? Then have a look online and see how many games you can find that are made by people in their spare time. How many of them have you already played and possably liked? How many of those have you paid for? Even recent games like Plants v's Zombies can cost less than a fiver.

No this announcement is nothing to worry about. When they come out with shit like, your no longer allowed to own your own computer/concole, only rent it; then you can start to panic.
There are laws to deal with this kind of thing.

I forget where I read about it, but it says somewhere that by law, if you purchase something you need to be allowed to resell it. That's an outdated law, of course, from before the digital age - but it's being brought up as these sort of DRM systems come into place as well as markets like Steam.

If it becomes commonplace, it will become a legal problem. They'll either have to drop their prices or it'll be a paradigm shift the likes of which we haven't seen in quite a while...
On one hand, physical media is slowly fading away anyway. On the other hand, this is highly questionable in terms of ethics. But when you have to choose this or the Kinect possibly tracking how many people are in a room and throwing up warnings/refusing to work if there are too many or little Jimmy wonders into the room while you're playing Saints Row IV or whatever...honestly, Nintendo seems to be the only one who as screwed things up the least and they're still screwing things up majorly.
This is a dumb dumb move on sony's part. In this case the RF tags in question are physical anti-piracy measures. In other words Sony is issuing a worldwide challenge to hackers and pirates to see who crack this tech first. And believe you me, it will get hacked sooner or later.

If Sony wants to control second hand sales then they have to go the steam route with always online DRM.
Eh, it's been a long time coming thought who knows if they'll actually pull the trigger this time?
Yeah, this floated around before the PS3 launched. Old news. Nothing to see here.
i can understand why there doing it. preowned games on older consoles get more sales then some current games and consoles. but its a terrible idea.

if they want there situation to improve then make good games. people will buy them if you do! if you make crap games then we will obviously turn to older stuff we know is good.
Seems like a terrible idea.
It's a stupid idea. Too stupid to elaborate on.
They've actually talked about using this kind of technology before, a couple years ago, but it obviously never went through. And a correction that a lot of journalists don't seem to be understanding is that they filed for a patent, meaning that they are trying to own this technology before Microsoft or even Apple thinks of the same thing. Do I think they'll implement it on the PS4? I'd hope not, and I honestly doubt they will. If they know anything about anything, they'll realize that this will alienate customers even more than the gaming industry already has to the point where Microsoft can just pick up the slack (because if the patent goes through, then the Xbox will literally not able to use this kind of technology to deter used game sales).

What I think these corporations fail to realize is that without used game sales, these new games would not nearly be selling as well as they are. Not everyone can afford a new $60 game every week or even month, but they are able to with systems like trading in and selling old games. Unless they prevent used game sales while lowering the price of new games at the same time (which is extremely doubtful), I foresee that the gaming industry and PS3 exclusives will go into a permanent dark age. And trying to remedy it by saying "oh, well you can let your friend borrow the game (ssshhh but only for 5 hours)" is just shameful because they KNOW that gamers are going to be upset, and yet think we are absolutely fucking retarded.
Not to mention that they would indirectly be working against first sale rights. I am not much of a law buff (as in, not at all), but I think they would probably be sued to hell and back, at least in Europe where first sale rights are still protected by law.