Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 69

Sony files patent to lock out used games on system!

:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
[link]

what this pretty much means with this, games bought can only be used once on a single console and nowhere else-effectively killing any used/pre-owned games from being used. needless to say,I'm pretty wary of how this will work out. what are your thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbryosgirl:
bryosgirl Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know alot of people with PS3s, nor do I know alot of folks who play the games I do, so I'm really not at all concerned about resale, and the case would probably remain the same with a PS4. What I do worry about is owning hundreds of dollars worth of games that can't be played because the only system they're allowed on was damaged beyond repair in some freak accident.

But that's if they get the patent, and if they actually implement it. They have a few other patents under their belt that would displease the general gaming public, but have wisely opted not to implement them. There has been nothing but backlash on this particular patent, so I'd be pretty surprised if it actually went through. Their commercials-in-video-games patent is far more likely to make it onto a system. Until the system is ready to release, though, I wouldn't put too much thought towards it.

In the end, it's their perogative. If they want to flush their business down the toilet, let them. I can think of plenty of other things I'd be happy to spend the console/game money on. :)
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Wait, people still pay attention to Sony?

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they don't go bankrupt by 2015.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Its like this, if sony locks out used games i wont buy the next playstation.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well, conveniently I wasn't planning on getting a PS4 anyway. Glad to see my faith in the PC was well founded. Now Linux just needs to start making itself user friendly. *begins laughing very hard at the last sentence*
:iconrocmegamanx:
RocMegamanX Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Well, I'm glad you were able to afford "making your own PC from scratch". Most of us sure can't.
You could afford a $600 console when it came out, but you can't afford to spend $600 on PC parts? I'm skeptical.
There are exclusives on those consoles.

Also, I don't have to risk breaking any parts putting them together as much as on a PC.
Not many; the only consoles with sizeable libraries of exlusives anymore are made by Nintendo.
And besides, I'm not sure what I want to play on PC anyway. Most of the popular ones, i.e. Dead Space or Left 4 Dead, are too "grim and gritty" for my taste.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
TF2, Counterstrike, Starcraft, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Amnesia, STALKER, Crysis, the Witcher, Total War, Civilization 5, ARMA2, The Old Republic, Penumbra, War Game: European Escalation, just to name a few. Then you get the best multi-plats at generally higher quality than they are on consoles.

I personally suggest you get a PC, since 99% of XBox/PS3 games can be plaid on it, and Nintendo systems so you can get their exclusives too.
RocMegamanX Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I have the free-to-play version of it on this laptop, but I'm really bad at it. I haven't played it since.

Most of the games you listed, I would consider "Grim-and-gritty" though, especially The Witcher and Amnesia.

Bayonetta isn't on PC sadly.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
...I got a basic PC on sale, got some ram, upgraded the GPU twice. In comparison to buying two consoles at launch, it was cheaper.
:iconkarvick:
Karvick Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
LOL I love this. It will never work mind you because SONY will make that one mistake that EA made with Origin and forget that Valve do not charge the gamer the earth for what is basiclly 1's and 0's. They understand that you as the gamer do not want to be or may not be able to be online all the time and that paying for a game more than once is a stupid concept. And the most important point of all that makes Steam (and emulation) so appealing is that some discontinued games are still as popular as they were on release.

DRM for such games is pointless as they have little to no market value by the industry's own idiotic rules. Look at the original Halo for example (not anniversary). If you buy it now and your charged more than 2 then you my friend are an idiot and have been conned. And how many of you would still pay money to play street figher II or Ghouls N' Ghosts? Or Pitfall? Would anyone actuall pay to play PONG or Space Invaders? That's why when they bring out some of the older games, they do it as a compilation because it is the only way to trick a hapless gamer into thinking it's still worth money.

Games and by extention code has no real world value because it doesn't cost anything to make other than the time of the development team to write it. Ask yourself what does a persons time cost and then try to give it a market value and you start getting into some scary shit. Don't believe me? Then have a look online and see how many games you can find that are made by people in their spare time. How many of them have you already played and possably liked? How many of those have you paid for? Even recent games like Plants v's Zombies can cost less than a fiver.

No this announcement is nothing to worry about. When they come out with shit like, your no longer allowed to own your own computer/concole, only rent it; then you can start to panic.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
There are laws to deal with this kind of thing.

I forget where I read about it, but it says somewhere that by law, if you purchase something you need to be allowed to resell it. That's an outdated law, of course, from before the digital age - but it's being brought up as these sort of DRM systems come into place as well as markets like Steam.

If it becomes commonplace, it will become a legal problem. They'll either have to drop their prices or it'll be a paradigm shift the likes of which we haven't seen in quite a while...
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
On one hand, physical media is slowly fading away anyway. On the other hand, this is highly questionable in terms of ethics. But when you have to choose this or the Kinect possibly tracking how many people are in a room and throwing up warnings/refusing to work if there are too many or little Jimmy wonders into the room while you're playing Saints Row IV or whatever...honestly, Nintendo seems to be the only one who as screwed things up the least and they're still screwing things up majorly.
:iconchame:
Chame Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This is a dumb dumb move on sony's part. In this case the RF tags in question are physical anti-piracy measures. In other words Sony is issuing a worldwide challenge to hackers and pirates to see who crack this tech first. And believe you me, it will get hacked sooner or later.

If Sony wants to control second hand sales then they have to go the steam route with always online DRM.
:iconairiaen:
Airiaen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
...Sony why
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Eh, it's been a long time coming thought who knows if they'll actually pull the trigger this time?
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Yeah, this floated around before the PS3 launched. Old news. Nothing to see here.
:iconscorpafied:
scorpafied Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
i can understand why there doing it. preowned games on older consoles get more sales then some current games and consoles. but its a terrible idea.

if they want there situation to improve then make good games. people will buy them if you do! if you make crap games then we will obviously turn to older stuff we know is good.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Wait, Steam?
:iconlouiseugeniojr:
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Seems like a terrible idea.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a stupid idea. Too stupid to elaborate on.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
They've actually talked about using this kind of technology before, a couple years ago, but it obviously never went through. And a correction that a lot of journalists don't seem to be understanding is that they filed for a patent, meaning that they are trying to own this technology before Microsoft or even Apple thinks of the same thing. Do I think they'll implement it on the PS4? I'd hope not, and I honestly doubt they will. If they know anything about anything, they'll realize that this will alienate customers even more than the gaming industry already has to the point where Microsoft can just pick up the slack (because if the patent goes through, then the Xbox will literally not able to use this kind of technology to deter used game sales).

What I think these corporations fail to realize is that without used game sales, these new games would not nearly be selling as well as they are. Not everyone can afford a new $60 game every week or even month, but they are able to with systems like trading in and selling old games. Unless they prevent used game sales while lowering the price of new games at the same time (which is extremely doubtful), I foresee that the gaming industry and PS3 exclusives will go into a permanent dark age. And trying to remedy it by saying "oh, well you can let your friend borrow the game (ssshhh but only for 5 hours)" is just shameful because they KNOW that gamers are going to be upset, and yet think we are absolutely fucking retarded.
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Not to mention that they would indirectly be working against first sale rights. I am not much of a law buff (as in, not at all), but I think they would probably be sued to hell and back, at least in Europe where first sale rights are still protected by law.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
If they really wanted to screw people over and ignore first sale rights, they could permit the sale of used games, but force players to "unlock" the game by buying the equivalent of the prevalent atrocity that is the online pass. The day that this happens is the day that I stop supporting the video game industry.

I don't think the major corporations realize what a hindrance trying to prevent used games sales is to the developers. Like I had previously stated, not everyone can afford a $60 game. Sony would effectively alienate most of its consumers by forcing people into one mode of buying games, one mode of distribution. Word of mouth and piracy are the most effective forms of advertisement. Besides, most games aren't even worth $60. :shrug:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Do you honestly think that the bigtime developers care at this point? Or even can? I am pretty sure that in order to keep their shareholders happy they would come up with any kind of bullshit that supposedly "raises sales", even if those are only short term solutions that will backfire, or not even solutions at all. If shareholders, or whoever throws the money around, had actually any knowledge of how the industry worked, they would have given up the battle against piracy a looooong time ago. Among a shitload of other things; like those bloody prices.

No, they definitely don't realize the shit they can cause by doing something like this. And once they do? They will likely just blame something else. Like piracy!
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Haha no, I don't think they care in the slightest. I have a really bad feeling about a dark era coming down on the industry.
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I think the next generation may bring about quite some change. Especially with crowd funding and at least small time developers needing to switch business models. That being said; that could quite coincide with your bad feelings, as with change comes a lot of opposition. Take the crowd funding for instance. People still don't realise that crowd funding doesn't mean you get something tangible in return; it is just a small investment. Yet, I can guarantee you that won't stop them from demanding things and that that will eventually be crowdfundings biggest obstacle. On top of that, if more and more developers are walking away from the traditional "find publisher, get their money, do their bidding" model, I am pretty sure that even those publishers will eventually find a way to go against that. I mean, just looking at hollywood and their insistance on bringing about a copyright law shows just how well big money is not a big fan of change.

At the very least, the next generation of consoles may be an interesting one. Frankly, all the previous rumors about this "being the last console generation" and "consoles dying out" could very well be not that far from the truth.
:iconmarvelouschester:
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
And then it ends up like most patents and isn't used at all, the end, move along.
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
As if I needed more reasons to support Nintendo or PC Gaming.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Had it ever occurred to Sony that not everyone could get games at their first launch?:roll:
:iconxkirameku-lunaix:
xKirameku-Lunaix Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Wow, just wow. Their tech may be advanced but apparantly not them. -.- I did not expect them to go that far.
:iconcometcolt:
CometColt Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You never know. Sony might be patenting this just so no one else can use it. It feels like Sony's patent for in-game ads all over again; I remember being royally pissed at that. LOL
:iconscouterv:
ScouterV Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Writer
Still, I have to think that Sony would know people would pick up on this and it would likely cause some people to be deterred.
:iconjamestehgamer96:
JamesTehGamer96 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
why is sony is doing this!? They are practically shooting themselves in the foot because of this, and especially in how much trouble they are in on a financial perspective and how much their products fail lately. If you lock out used games you wouldn't be able to spread what the games can offer and thats just a load of crap. To be perfectly honest i dont believe sony will make a ps4 because of how much they reallty cannot compete and how they are too advanced for themselves that the mainstream cannot afford them their strategy has been really stupid recently (rant over) and i dont hate sony the ps2 is my favourite console of all time it is such a great piece of hardware and i do have a lot of memories with it as well
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
They have been doing it since forever. They have made their hatred of second hand material no secret; I think they were at one point even considering to battle the existence of second hand sales in court.
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Actually, now that I think of it, I would like to see them implementing that. At least in Europe first sale rights are still protected by law, as far as I know. I at least remember an instance where they tried to get rid of it, but lost their case.

If Sony implements this, I am pretty sure they can get sued to hell and back for essentially violating first sale rights. I think. I hope. :icongrinstareplz:
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
This news from Sony doesn't surprise me in the least as Sony has always been this mentally retarded.

Sony are nothing but manipulative control freaks who like going around trying to dictate what we can and cannot do.

You would have thought that after their Betamax disaster they would have learned a few thing but it doesn't look that way.

Here did you know Sony took JVC to the Japanese Ministry Of Trade to try to force their hand but JVC were having none of it and continued to develop their Video Home System and released their VHS recorders a year later.

Did you know that Sony tried to stop the video rental market and thought about creating tapes where once you watched the movie the tape was dead as it couldn't be rewound.

If Sony does bring this nonsense out sooner or later someone is going to hack it and find ways around it.
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This may not be the disaster it looks like. It is a real shame, but more and more the market is moving away from the high street and into digital sales. There are arguments for and against used game sales, but the reality is the only people that profit from this are the high street stores. Developers do not get a penny for pre-owned sales and nor do the publishers. Publishers are greedy, it is in their interest to maximise profit (boo) but more importantly developers who get a slither of sales profit already are missing out on funding with new projects. Once interesting rumour about patents for the PS4 is that they are setting up a full on Cloud service. Downloadable titles readily available to pull straight onto your consoles. PS3 already allows you to download the same single purchase from PS3 to Vita. If you register a new PS3 you can download from your account, so that initial purchase will not be lost. What Sony seem to be doing is getting ready from moving onto buying physical games on discs and into digital. This is good for us and it is good for the developer. Again, the only questionable element is the death of the high street shop and how much of a cut producers are getting from this.
:icongvcspecks:
gvcspecks Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
good old microsoft:)
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Implementation of this in the PS4 has NOT been confirmed by Sony at all, they are expected to make a clarifying statement shortly.

Bear in mind they have previously patented similar tech on more than 3 seperate occasions and not used it.
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Old news actually.
It had been discussed for a while now and last year they confirmed that it would be a "protection" they will add to the next Sony console.

The joke is: They will lose more money like that. Friends and I often exchange games to check them out, buying them later on because we liked them.
Since that won't be possible anymore... *shrugs* I'm certainly not going to buy every game I wish to try out.
scorpafied Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
sony have those demos on there store you can get to try them out. but i agree they'll lose more money this way. and what is going to happen to websites like ebay when you want to sell your games? it will all be worthless and you might as well throw it away...
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Like with CDs.
*shrugs*
Well, from the amount of games I bought and enjoyed lately, I will stick to old games anyway. And Nintendo. >:B
scorpafied Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
yeah old games usually are the best ones. they were made back when people used there brains. unlike nowdays were everything seems liek half assed decision
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There ARE some exceptions, I guess. d:
And let's not forget that they created rather stupid games in the past too.

It's just... I feel like the avilable games had been more diverse then.
scorpafied Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
yeah they did make some stupid titles. but like you said they did have some truely great or diverse stuff then to.

notice how the rebirth of the dreamcast smash hit title "jet grind/set radio" (name changed depending on were your from) was one of better games the consoles of today have. and especially the ps vita. its one of the best on the console and it was made sooooo long ago.
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm mostly RPG-gamer and love a good story, so I'm kinda starving now. There are nice new RPGs, but let's be honest, the really good ones of the last few years were all remakes. :(

Same goes for the good Jump'n'Runs or Action Adventures I played.

Thankfully there is still Nintendo, which tends to have a main focus on fun instead of big numbers of any kind. :)
scorpafied Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
ohh come on, nintendo are full of remakes. there might be an occassional title which isn't, but nintendo wouldn't of been directly responcible i dont think. it was probably made y another company or developer and released on there console.

but you are right though nintendo dont try to be compeditive. in that sense its both a blessing and a curse. there consoles are crap but less face it we do get an occassional gem from them. and as much as i love sony i cant say that for them...
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: