Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 69

Sony files patent to lock out used games on system!

:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
[link]

what this pretty much means with this, games bought can only be used once on a single console and nowhere else-effectively killing any used/pre-owned games from being used. needless to say,I'm pretty wary of how this will work out. what are your thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbryosgirl:
bryosgirl Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know alot of people with PS3s, nor do I know alot of folks who play the games I do, so I'm really not at all concerned about resale, and the case would probably remain the same with a PS4. What I do worry about is owning hundreds of dollars worth of games that can't be played because the only system they're allowed on was damaged beyond repair in some freak accident.

But that's if they get the patent, and if they actually implement it. They have a few other patents under their belt that would displease the general gaming public, but have wisely opted not to implement them. There has been nothing but backlash on this particular patent, so I'd be pretty surprised if it actually went through. Their commercials-in-video-games patent is far more likely to make it onto a system. Until the system is ready to release, though, I wouldn't put too much thought towards it.

In the end, it's their perogative. If they want to flush their business down the toilet, let them. I can think of plenty of other things I'd be happy to spend the console/game money on. :)
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Wait, people still pay attention to Sony?

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they don't go bankrupt by 2015.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Its like this, if sony locks out used games i wont buy the next playstation.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well, conveniently I wasn't planning on getting a PS4 anyway. Glad to see my faith in the PC was well founded. Now Linux just needs to start making itself user friendly. *begins laughing very hard at the last sentence*
:iconrocmegamanx:
RocMegamanX Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, I'm glad you were able to afford "making your own PC from scratch". Most of us sure can't.
You could afford a $600 console when it came out, but you can't afford to spend $600 on PC parts? I'm skeptical.
There are exclusives on those consoles.

Also, I don't have to risk breaking any parts putting them together as much as on a PC.
Not many; the only consoles with sizeable libraries of exlusives anymore are made by Nintendo.
And besides, I'm not sure what I want to play on PC anyway. Most of the popular ones, i.e. Dead Space or Left 4 Dead, are too "grim and gritty" for my taste.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
TF2, Counterstrike, Starcraft, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Amnesia, STALKER, Crysis, the Witcher, Total War, Civilization 5, ARMA2, The Old Republic, Penumbra, War Game: European Escalation, just to name a few. Then you get the best multi-plats at generally higher quality than they are on consoles.

I personally suggest you get a PC, since 99% of XBox/PS3 games can be plaid on it, and Nintendo systems so you can get their exclusives too.
Add a Comment: