Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

When playing RPG's, do you role play?

:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
When you're playing RPG's, do you create a character, and make choices based on what they'd do, or do you just do what you feel is most beneficial to your goal (IE, making the game easier)?

I've usually play as a character. For example, in skyrim I'm currently playing a female Imperial. She's slightly naive, and for the most part a 'good' character. She does not pick pocket, but she has no problems stealing from dead people/dungeons/random shrines.

She only attacks 'evil people' and people who attack her. If possible, she tries to persuade people, but she's not against trying to intimidate people either, if need be.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjontaguse:
jontaguse Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
I found this awesome idéa
[link]
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Both. If I make a character based on me I just make whatever choices I'd make. If I make a character, I try to play it out like she/he does.
:iconzaradyna:
Zaradyna Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I do both depending on my mood. I try to make characters and do that but usually can only do it for a day or two before it gets in the way of meh lvling :P
:iconnirvanagenesis:
NirvanaGenesis Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I don't really roleplay characters. I just do whatever I think would be the most fun or beneficial.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
I always role play in RPG's, and that's part of the reason why I've never actually finished an RPG (I have too many characters.)

The character I usually end up with in most RPG's is a rogue female. In Skyrim, when it still worked on my PC :cry:, I went with a wood elf Nightblade, what her class would be with Oblivion's class system. She's very much an anti-hero, willing to do the right thing if it benefits her. She prefers persuasion over intimidation. She is predatory, preferring to watch her marks unseen from a distance, picking them off one by one with either her marksmanship or manipulating them with Illusion spells.
:iconanimperfectdream:
AnImperfectDream Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I tend to try and roleplay my written characters in RPGs whenever possible.

Building the game's character to resemble them as best I can, and making sure their actions and decisions are in tune with that particular character. Weapons, armour, companions, housing, the lot.

This has become more difficult for me recently though. Not just because most character creators don't offer enough freedom, or are unwieldy, but because I'm not seeing that many blank-slate style RPGs around. Most RPGs are trying to go for a more structured and directed style, offering the player less freedom in favour of an experience the devs can more easily construct and control. When they give the character a voice (and no additional voice options) it kind of falls flat for me as well.

I like having as much freedom as possible over my character and while I like being able to make choices in a game that's a little more directed and contained, if you're calling yourself an RPG, don't slap me with a name I don't want, with a voice I can't stand, in a role that offers no flexibility. Customisation and player freedom are the key to an enjoyable RPG for me. There are plenty of games that already make the choices for me, I don't need my RPGs to do the same.

I enjoy JRPGs because I'm following someone else's characters, because that's what I want from those experiences. (Even if I wouldn't mind being able to create my own every now and then) Western RPGs have typically always offered larger, more expansive worlds and more player freedom over character identity and appearance. When you take that freedom away, it just kills it.

One of the reasons I can't seem to get into Mass Effect and absolutely despised Dragon Age 2 was because you are stuck being a particular character, rather than you're own. Sure you can decide to be the whitiest knight in all the land, or the biggest prick, but dancing between shades of grey is difficult because there's this obsession with labelling morality as opposed to letting it be defined by the player.

Oh dear, I seem to have overdone it...
:iconraikairan:
RaikaiRan Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I play Monster Hunter Freedom unite I roleplay. My charakter Kelan is a stupid jerk. He is a loner, because I hunt all the Monsters alone. I gave him a history. When I take a quest I think about it, from where it is, or why Kelan kill the Monster.
:iconxenofirex:
XenofireX Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In my first playthough I always play me, what I would do according to my morals, not what would make everything easier.
On my second playthrough I play the other way, often a female (opposite gender for hidden dialogue) with a 100% friendly stance.
On my third playthrough I play completely evil and (if the game allows) slaughter every village and city I encounter... often with a two-handed sword.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
:lol:
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
More or less, yeah. In Fallout 3/New Vegas I tend to make the most pragmatic or profitable choices regardless of the morality or whatever since... Pragmatism keeps you alive in the Fallout world :shrug: whereas in games like Skyrim I tend to make choices that will benefit The Empire in the long-run. For instance, killing off all of the Dark Brotherhood so they can't be a problem later. It varies depending on the game and the character I'm playing, really.
:icondecolesse:
decolesse Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Hmm depends on the game partially, but typically my first play-through is as I would decide, which usually leans toward the "good" but could also be chaotic good - so makes good moral decisions but don't really obey the laws or rules. Most games earn a second or third play-through though, on the second I usually do a chaotic evil style - you really don't get to see the whole of the game if you don't go total yin-yang in at least two plays, it makes you see some very interesting different options. My first character if it can be physically similar to myself I try to get a similar appearance, unless I can be something unusual and awesome like a khajiit. A couple of games that I do roleplay in: Mass Effect 1, 2, 3, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim.

My Skyrim play-through is kind of all over the place though, considering the khajiit are supposed to be a sneaky etc race - heavy armor, two-hand sword, stormcloak, werewolf (though i temporarily swapped to lord vampire.. achievements and stuff :P), dragonborn, thieves guild master, dark brotherhood leader (listener), archmage, mother, wife, homeowner (3 manors), dragonkiller, daedric worshipper, thane (multiple), rich, explorer and more, I didn't really stick to one type there since I wasn't intending to do more play-throughs (it's bigger and less linear than most RPGs). It annoyed me that both khajiit and wood elf can't be married to their own species though, so I married an annoying dark elf that I now regret xD. However with World of Warcraft I never roleplayed, I found it more like a scenario of walking around the real world but with an avatar of sorts, so I'd feel weird roleplaying in it.
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah I do to some degree. Although I find it hard in games with a 'morality' system to go against what I do, hence why most of my characters in games tend to be 'lightsided' XD

But I do often start creating backstories and such like in Skyrim, I've been playing SWTOR alot and have really got into my characters on there even if I don't ingame rp I write about them.

Although my first Skyrim character was my 'do all the things!' one, any I've rolled since tend to be more taliored to certain storlines like my Nord is the Dovahkiin and a Companion, but an Imperial I rolled is only a thief and not the Dovahkiin
:iconsevmd:
SEVMD Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Usually I would make a 'profile' for that character that I keep in my mind, so when I play as that person I sort of put myself in the characters shoe,understand the situation and see the best move my character will do. Its my character is an idiot I do the worst stuff etc (e.g In Diablo III I play as a guy and I say little words when I roam about, quick answers. When I fight, I stay very far back when long range and mostly keep an eye on other partners if they are pairing with me)
:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I am quite capable to shut off my 'real' self in games, movies, larps and such. So, when I play an RPG - I never make the choices. Character does.
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I generally like to get into character, especially in story heavy games. In action games, I tend to just scream at the tv.
:iconneonila:
Neonila Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I play a character, for example no opening drawers in peoples houses or pick pocketing even if allowed by the game if I'm playing a good guy. Its a bit sad that you can't roleplay in mmorpgs anymore, they should just remove the rp from it :(

Miss the games where "Brb getting coffee" would get you a warning :hmm:
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
I first do the character authentically. Then usually by the third or forth playthrough, I stop caring and start seeing how far I can push the game. For instance, I've managed to take out all the police in Detroit in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, yet still have managed to so far accomplish all the side quests, and am not being hunted by them. It's fun and challenging, but not what I would have ever done on my first playthrough.
:iconairiaen:
Airiaen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
..I don't know, I'm kind of a crazy maniac in Skyrim. I have nothing too do so I randomly attack guards and use unrelentling force on unexpecting folk. I'm a evil character I suppose and I like randomly killing Imperials and fellow Stormcloak... I don't know why.

I heard of people roleplaying in MMO's like Champions Online... intriguing.
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
In Dragon Age: Origins, I played as a dwarf noble that wanted to go out to see the world instead of being the ruler of her kingdom, loves to pickpocket things from people, is a smart ass at times and adores her Mabari war hound, Draco. HATES dragons with a passion more that her hatred towards her brother, Bhelen.
:iconthefoxxeh:
TheFoxxeh Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
When possible, I play through as my character would.
:iconalakdilion:
Alakdilion Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd say I do. My first character is usually the one that does all the quests just to get an overall feel of the game. If I have to make decisions, then I'll make them based on myself. Afterwards, I'll make multiple characters who will act/dress certain ways and take on missions only befitting that of said character. Skyrim is probably the best example of a game that I can actually do this.
:iconangelsinspiration:
AngelsInspiration Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013   General Artist
Playing a RPG without role playing is like playing a FPS as a pacifist.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Some RPG's don't allow for role playing. everything is preset.
AngelsInspiration Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013   General Artist
such as?
:iconazamraharjo:
AzamRaharjo Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
most JRPGs
AngelsInspiration Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   General Artist
fair enough
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
anything that has a linear storyline without any choices.
Your vagueness is so enlightening :aww: you must know your stuff.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Because describing the overall type, which allows you to apply it to games you know is SO much less helpful than telling you specific games you may or may know :slow:
Yeah, I may or may, guess you have to chance it chum. I doubt it though, because, as stated I play RPGs for the role playing so naturally I'd be a tad unaware.

So are you going to continue humoring me :date: I'm rather enjoying it.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Final Fantasy, Zelda, All pokemon games, infamous

To be able to roleplay in a game, in my opinion, you need to be able to do three things:
Create your own character ( not physically, necessarily, but personality/quirks/background, at least to some extent.)
Create your own way to play to suit that character.(of course, there will always be limits, but there should be some choice)
Act out the story as your character would

Take my example of InFamous, You're 'Cole', and he has a set detailed personality, set very detailed background, set quirks,you have to use your powers. No physical fighting, no weapons. However, you do get some choice in regards to the storyline.
(1 Reply)
:iconpaulprb:
paulprb Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
When I play any sort of RPG with friends, I always full RP. It's so much fun to develop a character and really let them run wild among your friends. My traitorous and brutal party leader in NWN can agree to that. lol
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I do stuff like that with my Pokemon games. My SoulSilver version names all her non-main Pokemon "frog", my Black 2 names them based on events going on while catching them, some characters like to scope the entire game and others just like to get through the storyline and train Pokemon, etc.

I used to do this all the time with MapleStory, I'd name my character after an OC and say it's them playing. I've made so many MapleStory characters because of this. MS won't load on my laptop any more though and I don't know why.
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Of course it depends on the RPG. Quite a few won't let you choose the things I would do if I were to play a certain character. Dragon Age II is the very infamous example for that: When it came to the final big decision, I wanted to punch them both, not side with one. *shrugs*
At least the Hawke I played till then would have done that.
Sadly, it was not an option.

J-RPGs normally give you - at max - one or two decisions you can make yourself. So, the question does not really arise there. It's more like reading a good book, where you have little influence on the character but you still wish to know what will happen on the next few pages.

If given the choice I will stay In-Character of my Head-Cannon. Though so far I only saw the chances to do so in P&P-RPGs. :D
:iconronin356:
Ronin356 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Rogue, in a Pathfinder Game.
:iconblasian89:
Blasian89 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I role play as myself...does that count? lol I find games like Far Cry 3 and Dead island to be much more entertaining when you really put yourself in the player's shoes and pretend you really are in that world. Like Dead Island for example, I take my time, I put my shoulder against the walls and walk slowly, pretending to be scared and whatnot. When I enter a house, I close the doors behind me and stand against it while I survey the room before moving anywhere lol
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
it's called self-insertion
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yes, it's part of the fun. Kinda looking forward to playing each character whenever I turn the game on.

It's just, no matter what I do in the Fallout series, my character always turns out to be a assole. :iconsadtardplz:
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
*asshole

Fuck.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Skyrim- A khajit a good guy who kills bunnys.
Fallout 3- A a combat heavy
Bioshock- A good guy
System Shock- A marine
:iconkarmageddin:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Bioshock isn't an RPG
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, your right. But I did some role playing.
:iconkarmageddin:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Okay I see
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student General Artist
Yes, in Skyrim. That game is so devoid of it's own personality that I have to give it some. Of course, I still love that game, and it's way of portraying the Dragonborn makes it so that it's easy to project anything you want on him/her. Now I just want a game like that where you aren't some mythological superman.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Usually. The character tends to resemble myself, but still, sometimes I'll do something interesting. I'll set limits for myself and guidelines to follow.

...Sometimes I get bored though and mess everything up. In Morrowind, I'd sometimes just go "whatever" and immediately steal everything from the Redoran treasury. Or I'll just get pickpocket training, steal my money back, and get more training...
:iconenuocale:
EnuoCale Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Depends on the game. In SMT games, I certainly pick the ending that I would in real life. (same with any other games that give different paths to take.) I'd feel very guilt ridden doing elsewise, even though it's fictional. And each individual decision is usually what would be the closest to what I would realistically do. I see no point when given a choice to do elsewise, unless you're trying to live out an "evil" fantasy or something. Which I really don't find very appealing.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
Depends on the game. I remember I did that for Bioshock 2, although there's only like 3 or 4 decisions to make there. Most of the time I end up playing like the character is insane and their only goal is to fuck as much shit up as possible, even if it makes no sense.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Generally yes, but only due to a small habit of text roleplaying in the past as well as being a writer. For example, my last character on Skyrim generally prefers more peaceful routes, does not want to be involved with major events nor cares much about the dragons or war (though this changes as they begin to love the land as well as being dragged into things) but wants to help behind the scenes, and is actively looking for someone in Skyrim who does not exist in the game. It has actually made the gameplay experience feel more unique compared to previous run throughs (especially when actually taking different routes.) Still, I have the character study blacksmithing despite that it makes no sense for them to do but only because it is convient for me.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yea :3 In neverwinter nights I've been both a druid-in-shining-armor (I was neutral good, and I was always on the verge of turning legal D:) and an evil sorcerer. >:3
:icond-bandersnatch:
D-bandersnatch Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
my first character is just a character to get use to the game and get an understanding on the leveling process, then i make a characters that have personalities and such. in skyrim i am playing a character based of a hero i made.
Add a Comment: