Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Connecticut town collecting and destroying games

:iconblackheart6004:
Blackheart6004 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"In the wake of deadly school shooting, Southington group encouraging families to get rid of violent games in exchange for gift certificates."

[link]

Like this is going to solve anything.......

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnightchildmoonchild:
nightchildmoonchild Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
:iconheaddeskplz:Oh great, it's like when records and pinball machines were smashed back in the day. That did jack shit.
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Blaming games again?:unimpressed:
They have little to nothing to do in this :/
I mean... I played Burnout for 5 years, and that doesn't mean that, as soon as I get a car, I'm going to crash other vehicles and blow my car up just for fun:facepalm: Of course it's bad and suicidal, so why do it?
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I figure it helps them through something unthinkably horrible so why not. It's not like they're calling for censorship or something.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A bunch of other posters said it before be, but this won't solve anything. You can't take someone's video games because of a massacre that someone else committed. If Lanza was influenced by a horror story, would there be book burnings, and/or banning said books from libraries and bookshops??

And is it concrete truth that the shooter was influenced by video games? What about his mental health?
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
This is my response to them:

*Quadruple facepalm*

or

That thing you're doing, it doesn't mean what you think it means.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Thankfully, I had no plans to visit Connecticut. Seeing as this was sponsored by their chamber of commerce, its a pretty obvious stunt. I'd reach down and thank them for burning plastics by raising all commercial taxes by the minimum amount possible for 'showing you aren't above being immature apes'.
:iconairiaen:
Airiaen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
..they shuldn't be playing them in the first place. Parents are evil... evilll. Get them Ben 10 for Christmas not Call of Duty, or heck Final Fantasy but its no surprise all I ever see in stores is games with soldiers holding guns. At least Borderlands and Far Cry 3 bring effort. They should play those.
:iconsmattila:
Smattila Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013   General Artist
Very very disturbing
:iconsilver-shadowoni:
Silver-ShadowOni Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student General Artist
Awesome that it's biscuit. This is a stupid event and it should be stopped so help me by signing my petition please. Here is the link for it. [link]
:iconzedasiria-derazz:
Zedasiria-DeRazz Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Wow this wont solve anything at all >:(
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
That's progress. :)
:iconphantasmastriker:
PhantasmaStriker Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
They did something similar for firearms(seriously surprised to see many people willingly give up their 2nd Amendment rights), and now video games -_-
:iconrobertthem:
Robertthem Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Violence didn't exist before video games, everybody knows that.
Or movies and comics. :roll:
Robertthem Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah, it was all peace and love before that.
Totally.

I know that the people of Connecticut are still grieving for the deceased and injured, but taking violent video games is a misguided attempt. They really need to focus on handling mental health treatment and counseling.

Personally, I think it's annoying and naive to think that removing violent video games, movies, music, stories, etc. from society will improve it.
Robertthem Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Digital Artist
As edwardo69 said, the hunt for violent games, movies, etc is taking away attention from the real cause of this. I've been playing violent games since I was a child and I never even PUNCHED anyone.
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Correct. Mental health and gun issues must be examined.

In regards to violent video games- I did not become aggressive because of them, either. I have 3 mental disorders, but I wouldn't even think of going on a killing spree or hurting someone. That's truly horrible, to say the least.

While there have been crimes that were influenced by a video game (like GTA or Doom), they are rare.

Lanza's motive is more than just gaming (if he even played a lot of games). There was his parents' divorce, his deficiency with proper communication (and his mental health in general), I'm not sure- then again, not many of us are.
:iconedwardo69:
edwardo69 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
My thoughts are that the games have relatively little to do with acts of violence, this whole "its the game's fault" deal takes attention away from the main issue. Which is how did an emotionally and mentally disturbed person get three military firearms and military grade "Hollow Point Ball" ammunition? As long as there have been people some have "lost it" the thing we should be focusing on is minimizing the damage they can do, not going on a irrational crusade against a entertainment medium. That's not to say video games are way to violent, but its not the issue in this tragic incident. I remember a case (Dawson College shooting) where a guy killed several people and himself a few years back, there was a large anti game issue raised after. The part that stood out the most in that case is the guy didn't play violent video games.
:iconslutgirl08:
Slutgirl08 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
It's fucking ridiculous, faith in humanity is being lost more and more, every single fucking day.
I couldn't imagine you living in the 1940s, or even the 1960s :roll:
:iconslutgirl08:
Slutgirl08 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Indeed.
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I honestly don't know what to say. I guess we have to burn DVDs, TVs, radios, and books now.

Also, fuck the corporate NRA.
:iconvic-viper-001:
vic-viper-001 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconfacepalmplz:
All this is going to do is encourage kids to buy MORE violent videogames. They'll buy a bunch of crappy m-rated bargain-bin games for five bucks, then use the gift certificates for more expensive m-rated games. I don't wanna be disrespectful but c'mon, this solves nothing!
Correct.
:iconmarvelouschester:
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
My thoughts to the scared people of Connecticut
[link]
Seriously, a pistol can be just as dangerous as a assault rifle. A gun is a gun, 2nd ammendment says sup, and I am PRETTY SURE guns can't magically float around and shoot people.
:iconmarvelouschester:
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
As for video games...if you are thinking that is the problem, there is obviously something mental going on if that is a cause, maybe get better health care for the mentally insane?
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Virtual guns are more deadly than real guns. Everyone in Connecticut knows that.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Let's get rid of violent games by using violent force against them

Iiiiiironiiiiieeee!
:iconmeliadhor:
Meliadhor Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Thanks goodness it's still OK to watch Rambo movies and Matrix. :meow:
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Reminds me how books were burned not too long ago. :/
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nothing surprises me anymore.
:iconcometcolt:
CometColt Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That pissed me off to no end when I read that story earlier today! It's one thing to blame violent video games for violent behavior, but now they're DESTROYING said games?! It's just book-burning in the modern age. Also, I love how those people say that they don't believe violent games are completely to blame when in fact, their behavior implies that's EXACTLY what they think! :lol:
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Can't we just get rid of military shooters and just call it a day? :unimpressed:
No, because that would mean the NRA would have to admit they also made a game with guns, as would the DoD.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I guess that never occurred to Connecticut or the other "misguided" censorship groups.:B
Hey, if the WBC hasn't been arrested yet as a hategroup, what are we gonna do about these bigger fish?
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Dump all the military shooters in the lake and be the video game equivalent of the real Tea Party.:aww:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I think that'd be even less friendly to the environment than a mass burning.

How about we dump all the people in a pile and then burn them instead? Only lightly.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Where will the pile of dump go? All the GameStops are taken.:B
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
New Jersey shore, where all the trash ends up.
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Are you patriots?

If you said yes and engaged in this, then please reconsider your opinion: Right before that second amendment there was "Freedom of Speech".
:iconbarbaroshima:
barbaroshima Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Jay Rockefeller introduced a bill to Congress that would direct the National Academy of Sciences to investigate how violent games and other such programming affect children.

Hasn't there already been like a million studies into this?

I read this article on the positive and negative effects of games on kids. Pretty much everything in the negative column could be taken care of by active parent involvement.
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Photographer
My friend studies psychology in school and there have been studies on this already and there is no link between playing violent games and actual violent behavior.
barbaroshima Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Well let it be said that politicians never let something like scientific proof influence their opinion.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
You know we'll never see the results of the study if the results aren't favorable to the "violent media is the cause of violence" camp.
barbaroshima Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Maybe. Definitely doubt it'd make it to air time on the news. :|
:iconmorthax:
Morthax Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconfacepalmplz:
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Really people? REALLY?
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They need to do a mandatory version of this in Ruckersville, Virginia. :icontrollface:
Add a Comment: