Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Character designs in fantasy RPGs

:iconbluegoldwarrior12:
BlueGoldWarrior12 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I was wondering, why do most female characters in fantasy RPGs get usually the worst and more unpracticar armour designs? Being realistic nobody would ever fight comfortably with designs like these :/
Why do male characters always have to wear comfortable and realistic clothes? :roll:

Examples of what I mean to say:

[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Seriously, these aren't very realistic armours, someone would get seriously hurt in those :hmm:
So, does anyone have a good answer/explanation for it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlilylindsey:
LilyLindsey Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
It all started with early designs for females and males when graphics weren't so great.
If you didn't explicitly show a female as a female, then it was very easy to mistake them for a male.
This sentiment just happened to carry on across various generations.
:iconultimaodin:
Ultimaodin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Artist
I must play a tonne of messed up games, because I see women in proper clothing and armour all the time as well as men in clothes that look bloody ridiculous. Take a number of Tales games. I mean, just looking at the most recent - what the heck is Hubert wearing!? O_o
Now yes, you get games like Mugan Souls that just trashes any sense of 'protection' for what is effectively ecchi (I know I spelled that incorrectly).

People always seem to forget games like God of War where the male 'protagonist' is effectively close to nude. The difference is that for a woman character it is oft considered sexualized, while for a man it's simply being manly. Why must I walk around in SMT:LC wearing only a pair of shorts and my tattoo adorned body? Okay, tattoos are cool - but that is beside the point.

A big reason (other than sex appeal)for many characters, both male and female, being dressed down is because of emotion. Armour is emotionless. You can add personality and style to armour with ornaments, but cold hard steel will always be cold hard steel - regardless if it's pink.
:iconultramewmewfan:
Ultramewmewfan Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I would really like to see an RPG with the woman fully clothed and the men wearing next to nothing. But as most here have pointed out, many are aimed solely at men and any women that play are merely bonus audience. I suppose in the terms of the game, Women are the more agile ones and armour would be heavy and distracting but that's no excuse for breast strips and thongs. Light clothing that is modest is very easy. Also Armour means only protection not power, a man in armour only means he is in battle for long periods of time, true it does a certain amount of physical strength to carry it but if you properly research Medieval-Tudor armour you will find that it was relatively flexible due to the need of getting on and off horses and that is couldn't be too weighty because they would have to sleep in it.

Sorry if I seem a little over analytical here but I do know that these games are fantasy but as a writer and artist with a deep fascination with Fantasy and as a Goth with heavy fantasy imput, sometimes more is better than less when it comes to clothing and Practical clothing can be very attractive too.
:iconkatcygnus:
KatCygnus Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
(ahora tengo que comentar doble Q_Q)

[link]

Esta si es la señora del fanservice xDUUU su armadura es buena pero con el top y la mini matan todo e_e un pequeño error del diseñador... la mujer es util pero lo modosita y descubierta matan todo el encanto

Lastimosamente me gusta el personaje en cierto modo asdghasdf xDU

Cambiando lo de abajo seria realmente bueno el diesño sin ponerla en una posicion de "parte fanservice del juego"

a mmi opion yo creo que las chicas tienen que andar a modo medio -ni como latas de sardina ni como strippers- hay que tener en cuenta que nosotras tenemos una fuerza inferior a la del hombre -fisica fisicia antes de que empiecen- si quieres ser realista hay que empezar por ese punto. Buenas, Bonitas y femeninas -porque antes muerta que sencilla :music:
:iconkatcygnus:
KatCygnus Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
[link]

bueno xD te respondo en español porque tengo flojera (?)

Si, tienes razon, ser "realistas" a buen punto en un juego de fantasia es valido, te digo que en los juegos como el de la imagen (a pesar de qu no es rpg pero es fantasioso, magia y toda esa cosa) son realistas al menos con el sistema de daño, en el primero la chica no portaba nada de armadura pero su salud era mas delicada (recibia mas daño) por eso mismo, y bueno, puede ser una armadura practica y bonita (como la de la imagen de arriba) sin andar casi desnua porai :3
:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
its because most of the developers cant seem to make a set of armor for a girl that looks like girls armor, but doesnt look like a slut would only use it.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student General Artist
HUUURRRR BOOOOBS MY PENIS OVERPEOWERS MY BRAAAINNN

I fucking hate that shit. I want interesting female designs, dammit, not eye candy! I don't even like boobs!
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Endeavor-To-Freefall Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
[link] is all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm assuming sex appeal is the major reason, but as a male I personally prefer full plate even on female chars so meh :shrug:
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
ooh, practical and appealing.

Japan could learn from them (which is stupid, seeing as historically, Samurai armor was gorgeous and useful)
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Endeavor-To-Freefall Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Also I've noticed that generally games where you can pick either gender have more balanced armour sets, because they design them primarily for males and simply cut to fit female frames.
That's true too :nod:
Yes, full plates are REAL armours :D
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Stereotypical D&Ders are the chubby dudes who live in mom's basement, too socially awkward to even consider asking a pretty lady out. So they get their pleasures playing fantasy RPGs.
I see :hmm:
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
As others have said, sex appeal and nothing more for about 99.9% of the time. Now, there is one case in Dragon Age: Origins in which it was actually for having the character look a certain part (and I think there is only one piece of armor that is rather revealing.)
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Because Japan is the land of fetishes.
Speaking of which, you'd think full plate armor on females would make it much harder for the tentacles to slip through.

Be practical, people!
:iconcederbom:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Nah, tentacles always finds a way through. They abandon armor and protection for maximum agility and evasion. :iconteheplz:
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Because it's a fantasy RPG, and many players must fantasize about boobs. :shrug:

Though, the one fantasy game that comes to my mind with decent female armour is Skyrim.
All of the Elder Scrolls games do a good job with their female clothing.

Though Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall (and maybe even Arena) had bare tits and see-through clothing in the character menu screen. But at least it wasn't pretending to be armor.
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
They do.

Exactly. It didn't give you outrageous armour stats for a bikini with spikes.
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
'realism' isn't the one and everything in games...
Those warhammer-armors aren't any less unrealistic, neither are the armor-designs in Halo or Oblivion...
That being said, it doesn't make the characters in FF-Games look any less stupid.
I'm actually stuck on the character design rather than their clothing.
Overly cliched stereotypes, and just awefully stupid haircuts.
I mean come on, a wacky black man with a giant afro that has a chicken in it? Or the cooky little girl, who's actions are so unrelared to the whole other things that it's close to creating a singularity?
Thats the stuff that irks me the most...
:iconinnocent-malice:
Innocent-malice Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Its mainly for sex appeal. Which, I wouldn't necessarily call it sexist because its not like there arent plenty of pretty boys that appeal to girls but would probably have no place in war(else they would be too worried about their hair and be killed off quickly.) And trust me, I would rather have girls in bikini armor than to have all super gruff characters.

I also think it depends on the body of work we are looking at. If we were to play one of the elder scrolls series, because it often takes a logical approach to things, coming across bikini armor would be awkward. However, if we look at a final fantasy, its basic aim with design is usually to make it attractive, in that case, you know what to expect so its not a problem if you come across something so unrealistic.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
Different story universes have different rules. Some just don't have realism in their "ruleset". Game wise I think its silly when in online games dudes get full armor and ladies gets a metal g-string. Things should be balanced. I have no problem with it though as long as the storys logic doesn't clash with itself or mismatches in themes makes certain details awkward or in bad taste.
Because Chainmail Bikinis: Sometimes less is more!

But seriously, the answer is "Sex Appeal". Or in the case of Nomura and other cliche Square art styles, "because the artist doesn't know SHIT about fashion or clothing functionality". Even Rob Liefeld's pouches make more sense than all those belts. Pouches can at least hold your severed body parts for you. What, are 4 extra belts going to keep your pants up better? Or did your shirt, socks and bra feel left out, so you had to get a belt for them as well?

Seriously, that's the worst when it comes to RPG fashion sense. Suddenly, Red Sonja doesn't seem so bad.

And here's a nice little parody on the whole subject:

[link]

And what happens when you don't put on that practical armor?

[link]

Whoopsy!

I used to like Mr Fashion Disaster Nomura long ago but since I learnt more about fashion functionality by seeing at more designs around the net I don't I consider Nomura-san my number one artist XD
Yeah, the other extreme, excessive equipment is bad too :nod:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
*sigh* The fashion disaster master Nomura. Does he fear a lack of detail and zippers and belts are his only solution to the empty space?
It's because of that asshole that looking like a jackass became "cool".

Leave that to people like DEVO who actually know what they're doing with the look and don't rely on cheap zipper shit all the time. Devo good, Nomura bad.
:icondarktubes:
DarkTubes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Fanservice pure and simple which is why I'm more realistic with my own designs
Only other things that would make sense is the 20-30% more body muscle men have
Interesting point of view :nod: . I also know it sounds pretty contradictory to ask at least for a bit of realism in a fantasy game but I guess for armour designs it's a bit required (in a "real" battle with that kind of armours someone would get seriusly hurt, don't you think so?)
:icondarktubes:
DarkTubes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
It could also be the fact that heroines are generally shown to be more agile so need less armour and the more powerful amazon or Fable 2 Hanna/Hammer wear light clothing so there not even slower than they would be otherwise
:iconhydris:
hydris Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Being realistic nobody would ever fight comfortably....

...fantasy RPGs...

The realistically unpractical armor could have +200 to armor, -1% to all damage taken, and +75% to cold resistance enchantments. You can ask the people who drew those, you'd likely get better answers behind the reasons for design.
And good points you've made :wow: . Yeah, I've noticed that tendency in most fantasy RPG female designs (around 80%)
I meant to say... being unrealistic >.< typo...
:iconhydris:
hydris Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Point being:

Being [un]realistic nobody would ever fight comfortably....

...fantasy RPGs...
yeah, I've realized of that typo I've made ^^;^^;^^;
He's talking about the paradox of asking for realism in a fantasy game, not about your typo.
Yeah, I understand your point :nod: . Fantasy is meant to have a lot of freedom inside (I know that) but (personal point of view here ;)) I consider it also needs a bit of "realism" (I know it sounds pretty contradictory) I mean, in context of what I said... with certain armour designs someone would get seriusly damaged, see what I meant to say now? :)
Yes, people can't stretch their suspension of disbelief too far. There needs to be a fraction of logic behind it for it to be acceptable.
When it comes to fantasy rpgs in general, practicality takes a back seat most of the time, though. A great example are the size of the swords.
:nod: a small and basic amout logics, that's exactly what I meant to say ;)
And yes, speaking of size of the swords, large ones maybe should be made of a light material (generally some variety of steel) that exists only in that fantasy universe or the character being "magically" strong enough to pick it up without looking real-strong :nod:
:iconkarmageddin:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Here's a female fantasy RPG character in full plate armor.[link]
Except for her thighs... :lol: Still not quite a practical armor in that regard.
It's not any less practical then the armor medieval knights would wear not that I'm trying to say there is anything realistic about that armor.
It's not any less practical then the armor medieval knights would wear

It kinda is. Look at this: [link] See how the thighs aren't peeking through the armor? Quite handy against stabbing things. :B
Okay she could use a helmet but I still don't the problem none of her bits are sticking out or anything all you can see are her things and armpits.
Ok, I guess I can't blame you for not seeing it, I mean her skin is as bleak as the armor after all.
Here's a better picture. [link] See how the hips are just glaring through the armor? There is no reason they would do that except to play on her sexuality. Admittedly, it's harmless compared to the norm, but sure as hell not "full plate armor." :lol:
Also, the official figurine goes a step further for some reason. [link] Can't imagine why. :lol:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I have seen all the stuff before I own that game and still don't see the big seal about being able to see her thighs it's like not people sport any cleavage on there thighs.
Alright, so to you it might be an armor relieved of all sex appeal.
:nod: It's true in both POVS (yours and ~Karmageddin's) but at least it's not a fanservice armour ;)
Eh, if it wasn't for fanservice though, I don't know why they couldn't have made it a full protective armor. It might be not much, but the armor still plays on her sexuality.
Add a Comment: