Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Character designs in fantasy RPGs

:iconbluegoldwarrior12:
BlueGoldWarrior12 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I was wondering, why do most female characters in fantasy RPGs get usually the worst and more unpracticar armour designs? Being realistic nobody would ever fight comfortably with designs like these :/
Why do male characters always have to wear comfortable and realistic clothes? :roll:

Examples of what I mean to say:

[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Seriously, these aren't very realistic armours, someone would get seriously hurt in those :hmm:
So, does anyone have a good answer/explanation for it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlilylindsey:
LilyLindsey Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
It all started with early designs for females and males when graphics weren't so great.
If you didn't explicitly show a female as a female, then it was very easy to mistake them for a male.
This sentiment just happened to carry on across various generations.
:iconultimaodin:
Ultimaodin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Artist
I must play a tonne of messed up games, because I see women in proper clothing and armour all the time as well as men in clothes that look bloody ridiculous. Take a number of Tales games. I mean, just looking at the most recent - what the heck is Hubert wearing!? O_o
Now yes, you get games like Mugan Souls that just trashes any sense of 'protection' for what is effectively ecchi (I know I spelled that incorrectly).

People always seem to forget games like God of War where the male 'protagonist' is effectively close to nude. The difference is that for a woman character it is oft considered sexualized, while for a man it's simply being manly. Why must I walk around in SMT:LC wearing only a pair of shorts and my tattoo adorned body? Okay, tattoos are cool - but that is beside the point.

A big reason (other than sex appeal)for many characters, both male and female, being dressed down is because of emotion. Armour is emotionless. You can add personality and style to armour with ornaments, but cold hard steel will always be cold hard steel - regardless if it's pink.
:iconultramewmewfan:
Ultramewmewfan Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I would really like to see an RPG with the woman fully clothed and the men wearing next to nothing. But as most here have pointed out, many are aimed solely at men and any women that play are merely bonus audience. I suppose in the terms of the game, Women are the more agile ones and armour would be heavy and distracting but that's no excuse for breast strips and thongs. Light clothing that is modest is very easy. Also Armour means only protection not power, a man in armour only means he is in battle for long periods of time, true it does a certain amount of physical strength to carry it but if you properly research Medieval-Tudor armour you will find that it was relatively flexible due to the need of getting on and off horses and that is couldn't be too weighty because they would have to sleep in it.

Sorry if I seem a little over analytical here but I do know that these games are fantasy but as a writer and artist with a deep fascination with Fantasy and as a Goth with heavy fantasy imput, sometimes more is better than less when it comes to clothing and Practical clothing can be very attractive too.
:iconkatcygnus:
KatCygnus Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
(ahora tengo que comentar doble Q_Q)

[link]

Esta si es la señora del fanservice xDUUU su armadura es buena pero con el top y la mini matan todo e_e un pequeño error del diseñador... la mujer es util pero lo modosita y descubierta matan todo el encanto

Lastimosamente me gusta el personaje en cierto modo asdghasdf xDU

Cambiando lo de abajo seria realmente bueno el diesño sin ponerla en una posicion de "parte fanservice del juego"

a mmi opion yo creo que las chicas tienen que andar a modo medio -ni como latas de sardina ni como strippers- hay que tener en cuenta que nosotras tenemos una fuerza inferior a la del hombre -fisica fisicia antes de que empiecen- si quieres ser realista hay que empezar por ese punto. Buenas, Bonitas y femeninas -porque antes muerta que sencilla :music:
:iconkatcygnus:
KatCygnus Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
[link]

bueno xD te respondo en español porque tengo flojera (?)

Si, tienes razon, ser "realistas" a buen punto en un juego de fantasia es valido, te digo que en los juegos como el de la imagen (a pesar de qu no es rpg pero es fantasioso, magia y toda esa cosa) son realistas al menos con el sistema de daño, en el primero la chica no portaba nada de armadura pero su salud era mas delicada (recibia mas daño) por eso mismo, y bueno, puede ser una armadura practica y bonita (como la de la imagen de arriba) sin andar casi desnua porai :3
:icongator1949:
gator1949 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
its because most of the developers cant seem to make a set of armor for a girl that looks like girls armor, but doesnt look like a slut would only use it.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student General Artist
HUUURRRR BOOOOBS MY PENIS OVERPEOWERS MY BRAAAINNN

I fucking hate that shit. I want interesting female designs, dammit, not eye candy! I don't even like boobs!
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Endeavor-To-Freefall Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
[link] is all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm assuming sex appeal is the major reason, but as a male I personally prefer full plate even on female chars so meh :shrug:
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
ooh, practical and appealing.

Japan could learn from them (which is stupid, seeing as historically, Samurai armor was gorgeous and useful)
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
Endeavor-To-Freefall Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Also I've noticed that generally games where you can pick either gender have more balanced armour sets, because they design them primarily for males and simply cut to fit female frames.
Add a Comment: