Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 136

Biggest challenge facing game devs/publishers for 2013

:iconsuitandarmour:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
So, what are some of the hurdles and challenges facing our favourite titles and devs, i would say new ips because were nearing the end of a cycle so nobody wants to take a risk. also games being delayed wich can be difficult.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Capcom: Making a game that's actually complete without disc-locked DLC. Or bringing back Breath of Fire or Power Stone.
Konami: Actually making a game for once that doesn't have the words "Metal Gear" or "Silent Hill" on it.
Obsidian: Making a complete, functional game and not blaming their game's shoddy quality on the publisher. (IE blaming Lucas Arts for KotOR 2, Bethesda for Fallout: New Vegas, or Sega for Alpha Protocol)
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I think all the devs have got alot to do to try keep fans happy in next gen gaming.
:iconlilylindsey:
LilyLindsey Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Writer
Development costs are going to be the main issue. With AAA games having absolutely insane budgets, it's hard to justify low-budget games being sold at comparable prices.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Good point, the strength over all is probably in mobile gaming atm so AAA will be having to decide how much more they spend on there titles.
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Production costs.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Yes, they got bigger than ever, for most devs though it seems to be down scalling as the decline of the mega publisher's has happened.
realistically the major players are minute in numbers compared to smaller devs and with the boom in moblie gaming wich shall take care of it's self as the devices get better i think.
:iconowlbuddy:
owlbuddy Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As far as western game companies are concerned, I think the main challenge is pulling themselves out of the giant holes of mediocrity they've been digging themselves into for the past 10 years or so.

I fucking miss the early 90s. :grump:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Certaily alot of changes happening now and into the future.
:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Filmographer
Keeping THQ alive! Boy I really hope stuff goes okay for those guys...
Yes please do well.
:icontheautisticonenamedm:
Theautisticonenamedm Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Competition from tge App Store
It will take care of it self as technology progresses for the better imo.
:iconairiaen:
Airiaen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Another Call of Duty to haunt there souls...

but srz, I hope some Japanese games released in the west find more success and that Yakuza 5 is great as usual. Also.. No Online features taking most of the experience if the game isn't well known.
..and the biggest challenge. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate better be worth buying a Wii U, I already see it has a great system so I hope it finds success too.
Yeah i hope MH3 does well, i'd almost buy a wii u for that games, who knows.
:iconazamraharjo:
AzamRaharjo Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Making good gameplay, balancing, replayability, AND VERY VERY great story.
Yeah, still many challenges and things for the devs to learn.
:iconporkkish:
Porkkish Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Digital Artist
The whole "graphics vs. gameplay vs. people's expectation."
Well i guess there will always be graphical improvements untill we can't tell the difference anymore between games and realife.
expectation's will always be there and always staggerinly high for games.
Porkkish Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Digital Artist
Yes, but the biggest problem is that the excellent real-life-like graphics also take a lot of space in memory, so sacrifices must be done. For example, Square Enix had to cut a whole games worth of content from FF XIII in order to keep the visual look it had.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Ok. i really can't tell weather the continuation of the graphics improvement race will continue. maybe the games being made and the devices they are on will go in a different direction like following the social side of the tec/connectivity and always connected seem to be buzz words in the industry wich may reflect a change in what people want out of gaming.
Porkkish Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013   Digital Artist
I think it will definitely continue.

Though it would be interesting if the console devs actually stopped the "MUST HAVE MORE POWER" line of though for a second, and tried to think something complitely new to offer to the consumers. I mean, I'm eagerly waiting for the time when I'm able to have one these in my living room: [link] (starting from 09:44--->) 8D
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
The industry is always evolving, no one can tell where it will really be in 3 years for sure.
Portablitiy is here to stay for at least i think, thats one thing we know judging by the market for that stuff.
:iconcolor-freak1:
color-freak1 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Probably super high expectations, lots of hipe so people are expecting alot, and when you are expecting too much out of something it tends to be less than what you hoped for. So then you begin to have the complainers. Also, technoligy is getting better so graphics are becoming more complex and life-like so it can be challenging to accomplish that.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, we do expect alot of our games. the devs are cerainly kept hard at work for all of us.
:iconcolor-freak1:
color-freak1 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yeah, no kidding! I wish everyone knew the amount of work that goes into a new game because if they did, there would be alot less complaining! Oh wel:D
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
also* which*

And it's not so much a matter of games being delayed as they are being delayed -repeatedly-. Game cancellations are also getting worse, especially in the case of the Avengers movie videogame (which actually was looking incredibly promising and was going to create a whole new type of action game hybrid).

On PC, it's still easy to release new IP, so long as you can get the attention necessary to sell. And you can still sell new IP on a console, as Dishonored has proven. The insistence that new IP can't succeed is based on old mentalities believed by companies like EA and Activision.
Fair point. with just a handfull of big pulishers left, new ip is left up to smaller devs more and more. with the lower risk model they work on often times.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
The biggest challenge today for game developers now has to be to get the game to appear different from all the others.

Roll on bioshock infinate.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Yeah, i think theres still plaenty of new ides in the industry and bio shock will show that for sure.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Unfortunately ideas have to make it past the boardroom first.
And boardrooms are really only concerned with already proven formulas.
Yeah, it can be tough when people only think about the bottom line to try cool things.
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
In the twilight hours of this console generation the main challenge will be staying original with developers knowing the oncoming rapture to new platforms approacheth. If history is anything to go by we can expect some incredible games this year as developers are extremely comfortable with their tools and can make full use of the machines they are building for; both playstation and xbox in the last generation had some mind blowing games in their final years. (Anyone remember Psychonauts?) A major challenge is the sequel virus and established titles milking their names. Many developers will be holding out on releasing a new IP in favour of the new Xbox. For Wii U the primary goal will be to spread awareness and encourage people to try something new. It will need some killer games, no doubt the emergence of Nintendos finest will help, but there will need to be siginificant support from third parties to really kick it off the back bench. It is something different and the potential for some really fun titles is ready. Alot of people doubted the Wii when it first came out, but other consoles quickly borrowed the movement controls. The trick is keeping a game from being a one-play gimic to being a full deep immersive game in its own right. IOS. Could be make or break. Personally I really don't like micro-transactions but if it is the only way for smaller companies to build up funds, so be it. It really isnt much different from the people of the 80's pushing coins into an arcade machine.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Yeah taking risks now is not waht they want to do.
The later stages has seen some great games, maybe the best.
The wii u is still getting up and going, maybe too early to judge.
I totally think micro transactions can help small devs and we so need that.
Games like hawken can be the future if where lucky.
Thanks.
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am quite excited about the wiiU. It usually takes about a year for a console to get into its stride. Early 360/PS3 games were very dull indeed with brown/grey environments.
Yeah, i think already the wii u's line up is promising with the launch window being prtty good, third party colud be the make or break and i think nintendo have done better on that.
Agreed, both Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City work fantastically on the console. Although they are fairly rudimentary uses of the new controller, it shows that gameplay is not restricted to gimic movement controls.
Yeah, it's the standard capabilities of the console for games like tekken, soul claibur etc.. that i like. who knows maybe they can get series like Final Fantasy and others too. could have been a master stroke and nintendo have had alot of sucess with there console for sure.
Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story were unexpected successes on the Wii. There is plenty of evidence to expect that exclusive titles such as this could pull over the hard core RPG addicts that have wandered away from Nintendo since the Gamecube days.
Yeah totally, games like secret of mana and it obscure sequels 2-3 on the snes. nintendo use to do some awsome rpgs.
(1 Reply)
:iconmarvelouschester:
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Being unique, innovative, or being able to get known...kind of like how IGN decided to help give Dark Souls recognition by bashing Skyrim. Most games will either tend to try and be CoD or Skyrim and lose the sense of unique or innovation from their devs or publishers. Especially though, going back to the recognition thing, this year we got The Last of Us, the next CoD(What are you doing? Stop this Treyarch, don't let another dev soil your good name even though you fail at connection!), Metro: Last Light, and others where it is going to be pretty damn hard to get recognition. 2012 may have been a weak year with the exception of a few games but this year is lined with, for the most part, a small but strong set of games. Maybe we will see new IPs spur up and gain popularity?
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
"Maybe we will see new IPs spur up and gain popularity?"

The problem with that is that gamers seem to be averse to new IPs these days. Nintendo has published a good ten plus IPs over the past twelve years. (More if you include spinoffs and acquired ones like Glory of Heracles.)

Nobody buys them. Or even acknowledges their existence. Instead they go and bitch about how Nintendo's only sticking to the same IPs while going "Trace Memory? Drill Dozer? Room 215? Geist? WTF you talking about? MAKE ANOTHER F-ZERO!!"
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Or ANOTHER METROID and then NOOOOO, I WILL NEVER SEE OTHER M AS A TRUE METROID GAME. While Nintendo produced games in pretty much most of their main franchises. But no, even that is not enough. WE WANT A ZELDA GAME! Nintendo makes a Zelda game for the DS. WE WANT A TRUE ZELDA GAME. Nintendo brings out Skyward Sword. IT SUCKS, WORST ZELDA EVER! WE WANT A HD ZELDA GAME! That's not to mention the bits where they bitch and moan about things staying same too much and then bitch and moan when things change.

Sometimes I wish we were allowed to shoot these people. :stare:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Agreed on originality for sure. We can probably expect to see some genre blending with games giving us an almost 'best of the generation' approach borrowing from different sources. Personally I would be delighted to see a Dark Souls/Skyrim/Amalur mash up going on.
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Mmm perhaps, some good points. Maybe the hesitation from big devs to try new ip this late into the console cycle will open the door for some others to get in on the bigger market.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
The challenge isn't new IPs.

It's getting players to notice the new IPs is the challenge. Because they'll happily step over brand new IPs trying to establish themselves to get their hands on the next sequel...while asking where all those IPs are. For every Borderlands that catches on, there's a NieR, Radiant Historia, and a Pikmin that fly under the radar.
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Then again, IPs have always had a history of flying under the radar, with the obvious onslaught of gamers complaining about lack of new IPs. And still, the only way the industry knows how to deal with it is simply not making them in the first place.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
IPs always have - or they only do so, and then suddenly hop back up after half the devs have moved on. Remember EarthBound? It actually did not sell very well in the day...in fact Game Stores used to put it in the bargain section with games that were a dime a dozen or that nobody wanted.

You would not know this by looking at the people who talk about it now. I bet when people started demanding a Mother 3, HAL must have been "...where the hell did you guys come from? And where were you in 1995 when we could have used your support?" Course, not like that game wasn't doomed from the start. (Had it been a DS game it probably would have had a chance to sell in the U.S.)
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Yeah it's tough to get noticed. such big advertising dollars.
:iconultimaodin:
Ultimaodin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Artist
Biggest challenge. So called gamers that hate on genre's of games that isn't their preferred game play/style.
Now yes, I dislike a lot of games - but that doesn't mean they are dreadful abominations, it just means they aren't for me.
Example, I found Dragon Age: Origins the most ruthlessly boring game I've played since Sacred 2; however, that's my oppinion. If somebody asks me what games I dislike I will answer. Or dislike people that say 'your opinion is f***ed'. Same as if I say 'I thoroughly enjoy Tales of Graces f' I don't expect some opinionated ass to go 'That game is a piece of sh**.'
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
The inevitable bias. Yeah, that's what pisses me off about IGN is that they don't seem to understand that.

I swear some games just get hated on basis of what they are. Or, they seem to be under the belief that every game should be like another.

Guys, please don't bitch at a game for not being enough like your favourite. It's not trying to be Baldur's Gate 2: It's trying to be Dragon AGe. It's not trying to be Team Fortress 2: It's trying to be Borderlands.
Add a Comment: