Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012

Replies: 12

Good fantasy RPGs

KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
So my copy of Skyrim won't work. Period. :steaming:

In order to get my fantasy RPG fix, I'd figure I'd try out Everquest since it's free. I've never played it before. and only heard about it over the years.

So while I'm waiting for the files to install, what's your guy's opinion of the game, and while were at it, what fantasy RPG's would you recommend?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Rising-Eclipse Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
if you download the visual boy advance emulator on your computer, you can emulate some good gba games.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Dragon Nest. Free high quality MMO which is rare from eastern RPG devs. Especially MMO's and ESPECIALLY Nexon brand. It's great. I'm serious.
Hakkari Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know if you're into BioWare-style games (basically tactical RPGs), but Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. It has really deep characters and story, and your first playthrough will probably take about ~50 - 60 hours. Then it also has six different origin stories so there's a lot of replayability.

If you are interested I'd just pick up the Ultimate Edition, which is $30 on Steam and comes with all of the DLC and the Awakening expansion pack (which is about ~10 - 12 hours long).
Sangrde Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Tera Dragonnest Bladeandsoul
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Tales of Vesperia. Also all the other games people are suggesting
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
GOG has all of the Ultima games on sale right now.
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Just avoid the shitty ones.

"What's a Paladin?", my god.
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Well, yes, there's a reason the map of Britannia in my gallery is set between U6 and U7, rather than being "up to date" with U9.
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
If you have a PlayStation or an Xbox your best bet is Final Fantasy ( just avoid XIII-2 due to the DLC).
0rg Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Dark Souls.
Dark Souls.
Dragon's Dogma.
Dark Souls.
The Witcher 2.
Oh yeah, and Dark Souls.
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I'm an old EQ veteran, back when they didn't even have their first expansion yet. I stopped playing in 2003 because SOE made a lot of bonehead moves and it just wasn't the same any more, and classic EQ is in fact gone forever. This September, I found out it was free to play, and my old characters were not only there, but it gave me a free Silver membership, so I figured, what the Hell? Nostalgia overcame me, but the classic game is still lost.

That being said, as I returned and re-learned my character, one of my first thoughts was "I can not imagine this game being easy for newcomers". It does have 13+ years behind it, after all.

I'm going to tell you, things will be tricky, especially with a basic membership (you'll need a Silver one for additional inventory slots alone). The game is Easy compared to the merciless olden days (death was horrific and leveling was slow as Hell), but it's going to be very "archaic" in many regards. For old farts like me who were there at the beginning, it's not so bad. Hell, my old muscle memories came back very quickly. Some things just never fade away. But again, that's me. The saddest thing in the game though is that a vast majority of the old world (and even newer world that came around after I retired) is now empty because everyone goes to the newer zones and the "Hotzones" with the experience boosts.

But hey, it's a free game now. It's always worth a shot, especially if you like older games. And EQ was the Grandfather of the modern MMORPG.

As for other fantasy RPGs, I've got quite a list.

-The Witcher 2 (very demanding though; if you can't run Skyrim, this one's probably out of the question)

-The pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls games, especially Morrowind. Oblivion is nice, but it's no Morrowind. The original 2 games (Arena and Daggerfall) are legally free and provided by Bethesda, but they are BRUTAL and have no handholding and will take some getting used to if you're not familiar with old, old DOS era games. Older games were just tough like that, but if you take a step back in time, you'll be amazed at what they could do back then, and then wonder why the Hell they aren't doing it today.

-Torchlight 1 & 2 if you want a Diablo-like game, in fact, the game was made by the original creators of Diablo. That being said, Diablo 1 & 2 also come to mind. Not 3 though, unless you get it free as a gift like I did, heh.

-Classic Final Fantasy games (the "Amano" era ones) if you're looking for that simple console play (just avoid the crappy modern ones, and don't let the mindless fans tell you otherwise. They're not known for being very...sensible, as you'll quickly learn after talking to one for a while). And of course, throw in good ol' Chrono Trigger in there.

-Although I'm sick to death of them, there are also the Bioware games. Definitely avoid Dragon Age 2 though, unless you have a raging hardon for stupidity and the color gray. Jade Empire is worth it just for the change in typical scenery (great for those who are tired of generic Japanese or European settings).

-If you want a modern taste on an oldschool style, there's Legend of Grimrock which you can get for under 4 bucks during Daily/Flash sales on Steam. This game is a love letter to pure, actual dungeon-crawling games of old, so it'll feel very archaic (especially the strafing and other maneuvering on tiles), but for less than 4 bucks, you can't go wrong...unless you're REALLY bad at basic puzzles, heh.

-And there's a whole swamp of other SNES and PS1 era RPGs. Breath of Fire 1-4, Legend of Dragoon, Mario RPG (not the wadded shit paper mario ones), Lufia series, and a butt-load of others.
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
idk if this is too your liking but dragon quest 4 was awesome! so was crono trigger and crono cross
Add a Comment: