Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 301

GameFreak makes a very big claim, says Pokemon will "evolve" in 2013.

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
An incredibly large claim for the company to make, considering that their last big innovation was battles involving 3 Pokemon on the same scene.

Hmm, let's see what some of the features that have been requested since at least generation 2 that they've yet to install...

:bulletred: Multiple trainer career paths, not everyone wants to collect the badges and beat the Worthless 4.
:bulletred: Basic trainer customization; the fashions offered by the default characters as of late are questionable at best, and I'm expecting ganguro to be next.
:bulletred: Joining the opposing team. (This mainly applies to Team Rocket alone.)
:bulletred: Seamless travel to multiple regions, because there really is a buttload of empty space on the carts.
:bulletred: Custom camera controls, because the žs view is stale and we want a new perspective.
:bulletred: A more mature/sleazy/less kiddy experience overall, because appealing to the Fleeting Demographic Rule is really stupid and we've grown up and have cash now, unlike our spoiled kids.
:bulletred: The death of the animated series in favor of the above point, because Ash Ketchum is a bad role model.
:bulletred: Sounds that move with the changing time, because hearing Bulbasaur's cry has lost its retro charm.

So, what are you expecting of this alleged evolution, and what would you actually like to see of Game Freak?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmayplefly:
Mayplefly Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I want Pokemon to have the potential of Skyrim.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
A wide open world with a million things to do and a million ways to do them?
:iconmayplefly:
Mayplefly Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
yep
:iconoddfox17:
OddFox17 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Writer
It's becoming more like a traditional RPG.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Wouldn't traditional mean it would have stuck to the same perspective and battle?
:iconzazill:
Zazill Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From the trailer it seems someone's trying to bring 'adventure' back into Pokemon, hope it doesn't stop here.
I agree on the multiple paths, but mostly I would just like to travel through Pokemon without having to go to every freaken gym or the ridiculous Pokemon league just to go to a new area.
Indeed. If hikers are equipped to the brim, then why can't a 10 year old kid pick up a pickax instead of having to take up a move slot with a useless HM move?
:iconzazill:
Zazill Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I sure wouldn't mind a new soundtrack, ie. something that doesn't sound a revamped pokemon gold album (gamefreak musicians must have really low aspirations)
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
If the musicians have low aspirations then what about the artists?
:iconstar-dusk:
Star-Dusk Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
First thing they need is player choices, like in Mass Effect for example.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I wanna be a snarky trainer, but the professor 'But thou must!'s me.

How would we break the chains?
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think the trailer still has beta type graphics. I'm actually excited for these ones to come out for the actual game and not the competitive play. I have high hopes. Plus that little fox guy is adorable.
Hrrm, I've always thought as the Pokemon Company as being lazy artists.
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They have been, since they got a new artist after gen 2.
Actually, I'd say things went lazy after Gen III.
Some of the gen 4 pokes were nice. I liked Giratina.
Some. But the majority were in the ever growing 'worthless' pile.
True.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Saw the new gen trailer.

It's 3D. A baby step in the right direction.:aww:
An incredibly tiny one they could have taken an entire system ago.
Well I did say it was a baby step. Maybe if we're lucky, they may make another tiny step and let us move in any direction.:aww:
Or they could have noticed that the 3DS dev kit had a CIRCLE PAD, and let us move in a circle.
I think that should be obvious.:B
Then why is it grid based?
:icongregoryorizal:
GregoryOrizal Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist
Was it confirmed to be grid based ?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
The footage certainly showed it to be the stiff movements we shouldn't be seeing in 2013. Just like we shouldn't see games running at 50 MHZ in EU, but apparently that happened as well.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Because Game Freak doesn't know the obvious.
I suppose I can accept that. Considering that Miamoto thought we didn't want more F-Zero.
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Unfortunately, we will never get a more "adult" version of the Pokemon series; the whole franchise is targeted towards kids, because kids are the biggest market.

If someone wants to enforce something - say, a product or a safety message - then usually they aim their advertisements at children. The kids then go home and tell their parents, perhaps beg a bit, until they get their way. It's something that's been done for ages.

As for Gen VI, I really would like to see it look a little more like a RPG (which is what it is, if you think about it). That means features like those you mentioned; multiple career paths or specialties, customiseable characters, the ability to choose what team you play on. it would also be nice to get a game where you don't have to replay every old cartridge you have just to get that one last Pokemon you need to finish the Pokedex
And it seems that Gen VI is looking to be the same, only with a new perspective.
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
And more of those things to capture :grump:
And likely a team that has similar motives to Galactic, but none of the stakes.

Actually, a lovely curveball would be that there isn't a team to battle.

An even better one would be the ability to simply cross off gyms.
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Or, instead of a team, have a single major super-villian
I don't think that'd work very well considering how big this is presumably supposed to be if they can find a way to use up a whole card of the maximum size.
Operia Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Fair enough
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ah, but Pokemon "evolve" in every generation! :dummy:

It's marketing jargon. When he says "evolve," I'm sure he just means the minor refinements and tweaks we've had between generations thus far, like the graphical overhaul in this new generation. Though I'm certainly down with practically all the features you listed, unfortunately it makes more business sense for Nintendo to play it safe. I know for sure I'm getting Gen VI, and Nintendo/GameFreak/whoever else can make plenty of money by playing it safe. Any drastic innovations risk alienating long term fans, "killing the golden goose," in other words.

Oh, well. That's committee design for you. Bold, new directions are not risked when there's this much money involved.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
But the goose has laid golden eggs and they have several to sell! They've got money and time to innovate!
Don't you get it? You can never have enough money. Sure, Nintendo would likely be able to absorb a complete bomb on one of their major franchises, but why do it? Money is the only thing investors care about, and they agree that they'd rather have a sure thing than a gamble.
But what do you do with the money after you've done it all? What are they doing with that money, and where will it go?
I suspect that much of it goes back into the funding the development of the next one. Despite the similarities in gameplay between generations, no doubt development is still not cheap. The rest goes into the coffers of rich men, to be turned into beach houses, vintage cars, private jets, and other such extravagance.
And commercial jets. Don't forget about public jets visible on Google Maps.
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Every single time a new gen comes out, I tell myself that it's getting ridiculous and I don't need to buy it. Then I buy it anyway and love it. But this actually doesn't look too bad.
But what have they changed aside from a 'graphical' leap that still looks like tripe in comparison to other TRPGS and 3D RPGs?

Is the battle system any better? I suppose we'll have to wait for more, but Nintendo is a horrible tease.
:iconaviscelox:
AvisCelox Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup -__-
:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
All those salty Hoenn fanboy tears...

I'm actually pretty excited for X and Y. The battle sprites look a lot more fluid, even compared to Gen V which added idle animation. Also, the protagonists don't actually look too goofy, and the starters look alright.

On the subject of Pokemon "evolving," it's interesting to note that the Japanese logos for X and Y incorporate a double helix. Whether that's just a sort of pun or if there's some focus on genetics in the story... I'll have to wait and see.
All those salty Hoenn fanboy tears

:lol: How dare Game Freak move on to new games instead of remakes!
:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I don't mind remakes, and I think it is a bit soon for Gen VI, but I'm am eight-year-old fanboy when it comes to Pokemon so either way I'm excited.
Incredibly salty.

Well, we haven't seen much of the female protagonist. That hat she has does look rather goofy.
:iconswxrdz:
SwxrdZ Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I just did this a day a go in New Supe Mario Bros. I looked at the lava pit, thought about jumping over it, but walked right into it. My hands failed me:(
I think you posted in the wrong thread.
Add a Comment: