Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

[PS3] Games with Region Locked DLC

:iconvariable-edge:
Variable-Edge Dec 28, 2012   General Artist
I was wondering if there was a list of games for the Playstation 3 that had Region-Locked DLC.

Reason for this was that I have a US-based account, and purchased a Region 3 copy of Dead or Alive 5. I had downloaded the free Additional Costume Set prior to buying the game itself, and when I popped in the disk and launched the game, I was unable to find the downloaded costumes.

Turned out the game I got was incompatible. I was able to replace it with a Region 1 copy, and all DLC worked fine since.

Here's the thing. I have Region 3 copies of Super Street Fighter 4 AE, as well as Resident Evil 6, and have been able to buy content off of the PS Store and use it with no problem. However, with this DOA5 experience, I'm now more wary about the games I choose to buy, especially if I can't enhance the experience with DLC I may choose to buy.

So, does anyone know which games have region-locked DLC and which ones are open?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
DLCs tend to be region locked. All of them. In... a weird way. The problem is normally not the DLC itself but the PSN-Account though: You have an EU-Account? No US-DLCs for you, even if the game you own is US. You can try to get an US-Account, but the moment you add a credit card you're getting problems again. Again, it's not the games that cause you problems, it's your account. :/ Which is... a retarded way of region-locking stuff, if you ask me.

Though so far I only know of Persona Golden to be a region locked GAME.
Thing is, the only game I encountered a lock on so far is DOA5. I've stuck to Region 1 for most of my games, but my copies of Super Street Fighter IV AE and Resident Evil 6 are Region 3, and I've been able to purchase and use DLC for those games. That's why I believe that region-locked DLC may be a case-to-case basis for the publisher (and if that's true, then maybe people shouldn't be so hard on Capcom? :D)

As more and more new games are getting digital release on the Playstation Store, maybe the best way to ensure that the game you buy will be compatible with the DLC is to go ahead and get the digital version-- which is going to be a pain, depending on how big your PS3's hard drive is.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Dec 28, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a list of region-locked games, so I think your best bet would be to do a quick google search before every purchase that you plan to make and plan to buy DLC for. I gathered than most actual games are region-free, but you're going to have to research about the DLC.
The games are definitely nothing to worry about, so yeah, it all comes down to finding out about the DLC.

If I had the means, I'd test every game there was, then make the list myself.

*looks at the video game stores...* Sponsor? :evillaugh:
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Dec 28, 2012  Student Interface Designer
You could just google beforehand. :shrug:
Add a Comment: