Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

OUYA: the new console

:iconwolfraid:
WolfRaid Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
some of you may have heard of this before.
recently, there's a new console by android that's currently in development.
it's name is the OUYA (possibly having an even sillier name than the wii u. also, insert kool-aid man joke here.)
i've seen the console itself and it's practically smaller than the controller itself.
quite possibly the smallest console ever made.

right now, i'm not entirely sure what to think of this new console considering i never used android before.
will it be a hit? a big epic fail?
only time will tell...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Think i read about it, it will probably be to small to really hit big and attract devs to it, it got funding, alittle but probably won't fly. but thats just what the article said so maybe it'll be good.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Doesn't need "big" devs, just Glu Mobile, Gameloft and Madfinger.
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I hadn't really looked into it so maybe your right. certainly is alot of compertion though, hope it's good.
If they can manage to get it set up with Google Play support the thing will fly right off the shelves. If you buy a game on GP, you pay for it once, and can then play it on all devices you link to that account, if it is compatible.
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Well believe me i'll give it a chance if it takes of cause i'm always on the look out for games that i can't always get easily.
Also for the people who have no idea what games can run on Android.
Each of these games costs about $4.99 to $6.99
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
:icononlyelisha:
onlyelisha Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
Seems pretty meh to me. It just seems like a cell phone that you plug into your tv and can't make calls with. I'm hoping people actually do something more interesting with it but right now I'm not convinced it will be worth getting anytime soon.
If they can get Google Play support, it'll be a hit. If not, then I'll have doubts about it.
I'm interested. I'd love to play games like Dead Trigger, and Modern Combat 3 on a much larger screen!
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Anyone remember the Gamestation? Virtual Boy? -

NOPE.

It will have one good month, and die.

It has way too much competition. The Wii U was just released, along with the PSV. I'm expecting the makers of Xbox to release a handheld console also (although I have no official news on this, I am expecting it).

Unless it has the ability to compete (which I highly doubt) it is gonna have a nice warm welcoming, and die within the month it is released.

Let's look at what every console has:
The ability to play games of the generation before it
Virtual consoles where you can buy both old games and No Export for You games
The ability for constant replay
Constant updates
Great games that will only be released for that console
Many other things that differ person to person

Seriously. This thing will die out in the month it is released.
Systems like Virtual Boy were released with full blown console price tags.
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
And the OUYA won't? I doubt it'll be below $150. And even with that, it probably won't have any decent games for free.

Plus, like I said, even if I bought it, it would be even a waist of more money, just for downloading games.

It may be popular and may actually work in the city, but for those in backwoods, who are crewed any way they go, it won't work. Plus not all of the world has a fast internet connection.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The Ouya is built for all of that though. It's also not a game phone, but a really tiny stationary device where all games are downloads. It's also made towards the mod crowd so you'll be able to tinker with it if you have the knowhow.

It's really niche and probably won't do anything that Valves rumored "livingroom pc" won't do on a larger scale. But its interesting to see how it will turn out for the first crowdfunded console.
I think the idea behind Ouya is sound. Google Play support should be a priority.
A game system that you can play the android games you already own, at no additional charge? Yeah, I'll bite! I'd love to play Dead Trigger and Modern Combat 3 on a big screen.
I still think it isn't gonna last. It's oisn't gonna have anything past angry birds.

I mean, I haven't heard anything about it. All it is is gonna be a short quick money maker.

Plus unless some big game maker that isn't the makers of Angry Birds, I can't see it getting anything past a month, two or three if its lucky.

It isn't gonna last. I can't see it lasting.

Plus, also, for some people, a digital only console? Not gonna work. I can't use something like that. here, in the backwoods, the only modes of internet aren't even good for the nondigital consoles.

I can't see it working. Especially since if it's hacker friendly, that also means that it could be more easily wiped of data.

I just can't see it working past a month. Especially in the smaller places where nobody has broadband internet. I'm using a hotspot for internet myself, but I can't do any gaming with it.
You obviously haven't many android games.
I don't own a fucking android or any crap like that. I'm not into stuff that just sucks money out of your pocket just because there is a new upgrade every two months.

Plus, also, I'm not gonna get anything where I have to have an internet connection to buy stuff. Especially now when I now have a GB allowance, and not only games, but system updates eat at stuff like that.

Not everyone it out to burn every single cent they own, ya know? I have never owned an Android, and there is a chance I never will. I'm not even sure if I'll ever own a tablet. So no, I've never played an Android game, because I've never had an Android anything.
Then your insight, or lack-thereof holds no water.
Like anyone's holds any water.

We have no clue about the machine because things can change at the last minute. This thing may not come out at all.

But it won't be able to compete. It can't compete. And I doubt Android will even do upkeep past the first month.
Ouya is he name of the console, and Android is the OS that runs on it. The specs and $99 price tag were finalized months ago, and the dev kits have already shipped.
You repeated yourself like four times there. I'm not accusing you of anything, just explaining what went into the thinking of it. (The "hacker friendly" thing is the same way as your computer or smartphone. It's what an open platform is, open for people to tinker with and make things on.)

There is also no such thing as a "quick money maker" when even big multinational companies take years to make profits on their releases. Its an independent team taking their bets. Square Enix and Bandai Namco are on it though. It seems like the perfect place to port Final Fantasy Dimensions for those who want to play some retro FF on their TV with a controller instead of a touch screen. [link]

Either way it goes I appreciate the ambition.
I still think all they are trying to do is make money.

I can't really appreciate it. I know many who can't play this kind of crap just because they don't have an active internet connection.

I don't see it having any actually big titles either. I don't see it having something memorable. Square Enix has went down the drain of shitiness and everyone who wants FF3 has it. And I think FF3 has been released in the DS form and the NES version on the virtual console.

Even when it does release, what does it have? From the sounds of it, it has games that everyone else has...

I can't see it working. Every single game console that has been released over the years did have the same exact things that others have had, and they never did work out either.

It isn't gonna work out. I can tell you this right now. And with the other digital console... A nice number of the population will buy them, then the companies will forget about the upkeep, and the game releases will just stop.

History repeats itself. I can't see this working. Like all of the other concoles they have tried to release over the years.

I imagine the Xbox handheld doing better than this thing.
Every single commercial creative pursuit EVER wants to make money since the people who work in them has to eat, pay bills and loans.
That isn't FF3 or 6. It's a new oldschool style game. Again, I'm not accusing you of anything. I agree with you on Squeenix sinking shitship status. We are having no argument here.
WolfRaid Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Traditional Artist
Yeah, that's what I thought...:(
It's ambitious, I'll give it that.
But in the long run, it won't last long.
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I won't even give them that. It is just a nice try at getting money. Anyone who is trying to get into the console wars now with the big three, they have to really make it something, or have a couple aces up the sleeve, to make it the big four.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think it's pointless, and simply the byproduct of some opportunists trying to make a quick buck through scamstarter... I mean kickstarter. A tiny system that lets you play Angry Birds on your TV? Holy shit, I could like just get a smart phone that does the same exact thing.
:iconscouterv:
ScouterV Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Writer
Anything to shake up the current business. I'd say it has a chance, as it's already setting itself apart and that's one thing gamers like to see.

That said, I read about it in an issue of Game Informer awhile back and totally forgot about it up until now. Any idea what the status is? Any proposed release date? The more information (that's actually useful,) the better it will be.

Lest it end up like that proposed Final Fantasy Versus (I think that's the one.) Where nobody even knows if they're gonna finish it or not.
:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It certainly will have an edge, due to being intentionally hacker friendly, heavily supportive for the indie gamer market, having games using the same free to play model as most PC games(like TF2), and being one of the first consoles to have digital-only games.

only issue is that they may have huge competition from Valve, who is also entering the market with a digital-only console(SteamBox), so it may steal the Ouya's attention. however considering how big the cult following is(their Kickstarter asked for $950,000 and ended with $8.5 Million) they may have a fighting chance.
:iconsupertoad1000:
SuperToad1000 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
IS THIS THANG EVEN SMAWLER THAN TEH GAMECUBE!!!
WolfRaid Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Traditional Artist
It's basically the size if a rubix cube.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Having developed for the Android myself and knowing what is inside of it, I can see one good start and two bad things.

For starters, it might get a rather healthy amount of launch title due to it being Android and Android has this "if it works, it can run it" view of running apps (there can be a few exceptions to this but that seems to only be the major developers.)

The problem is that at the current moment, most people develop apps and games for cell phones and not tablets or controllers. Yes, just cell phones. And despite that Android has a general setup for controller input, very few people use it and there is instead almost exclusive support for small touch screens only.

The second problem lies with the fact that apps have limited resources. Frankly, with Android as is, having 8 GB of memory with a quad 3.0 GHz CPU is a waste of resources as apps can only be so big, so all of the raw data (i.e. textures and sprites) are limited to where they can't really compete with even portable consoles unless they pull off something amazing. Sure, you can have a massive SDD and do games in chapters, but the ability to put all of Skyrim or any open world and non-linear game on an OUYA with the needed processing power is pretty much not happening due to app size limits.

So unless the OUYA can make apps extremely profitable at day 1, it will be viewed as a gimmick really quickly.
well, that doesn't sound too good.:(
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Like every other console ever produced, the Ouya will have one obstacle to overcome: having a healthy selection of games at launch-day.
If they can get Google Play to work with it, I can see it being a success. I'd love to play Dead Trigger on my Television! Otherwise it'll be a hard sell.
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I think it's funny how Angry Birds is being sold as a console game. That's the negative association I have with phone games, and I think the Ouya will need games it can claim as its own, as well as being higher-quality than phone games, to be a success.
:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
so far the 2 major confirmed launch titles are Minecraft and Final Fantasy 3.

it may get an edge,due to being indie game friendly and having F2p games with micro transactions.
That and some of the pay-for games are $60 quality at a fraction of the price.
The Modern Combat series blew me away. Yeah, its a shameless COD: Modern Warfare series clone...which is why its so damned impressive. This cost me five bucks [link]
Hmm... Good point.:hmm:
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artist
Eh, it's like the bastard child of a raspberry Pi and a smartphone with a controller.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
If the kickstarter is anything to go by, it'll hopefully shake things up enough for the big 3 to get their heads out of their asses. Nintendo will hopefully realize that we want a well designed console and not an oversized paving slab with a tablet that makes up most of the system value since its specs are that of 7 years ago.

Sony will hopefully learn to respect consumers with not having propitiatory everything that ruins their otherwise strong systems, and hopefully Microsoft's Windows 8 will flop badly enough that they don't integrate it into the next system.
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Doubtful, if the KS is any indication, it's never going to succeed. It's not a fraud, but the claims they've made are completely contradictory. And the promise of "free games" and open do not combine well with having a thriving commercial market place. On top of that, they're definition of free is just having a demo.

They went for the KS way too soon, they had neither the details of the software shop or the controller finalized. Those are two of the most important components of a system like this.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
All the processing power of a cellphone, but without the portability! What could possibly go wrong?
[link] <-Cell phone game.
0rg Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
That's kind of impressive, for a cellphone.

Key phrase: for a cellphone.
Bought it, played it, beat it. It runs about as long as Dead Space 1 for the 360/PS3/PC. Has most of weapons and suits too. It even has New Game+ bonuses.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Its the size of a Rubick's Cube. What isn't portable about that?

Also, even if it is less powerful than most smartphones, its still more powerful overall than the current generation for its size, and it isn't relying on any gimmicks out the starting gate.
0rg Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Well, sure it's portable. It isn't convenient to carry around a television wherever you go, though.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
...Actually, there is a large selection of portable TVs.
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Televisions aren't uncommon, though.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It looks interesting, to say the least. I'm interested in what people make for it, and what emulators people are going to run on it (Because hey, with a thing like this it's going to be unavoidable).
Add a Comment: