Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 147

Unscary horror.

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
So, we know that video game developers often cling to the wrong genre for the longest time, and this often effects the quality of the games.

So, what claimed horror games simply aren't scary or horrific for the right reasons?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013  Student Photographer
Land of the Dead was rather a bit boring than scary
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
It sounds like the sort of thing you'd see after the great mass extinction.
Zetikla Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013  Student Photographer
actually yes X)
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
Or a desert with an uncreative name.
Zetikla Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2013  Student Photographer
hehe yup
:iconnightchildmoonchild:
nightchildmoonchild Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Dino Crisis
D
Clocktower Ghosthead/Clocktower II: The Struggle Within (it's the same game, but it's differently named in Japan and the United States)
Clocktower 3
Rule of Rose
Resident Evil: Outbreak
:iconchaosvolt:
chaosvolt Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
Not many game developers are good at creating suspense, I'd say. And if you can't create suspense, the next best thing is always to throw jump scares at you. And once you play the game, any time you come back to it the old surprises are only scary if you forget about them, otherwise they're good for a little startle at best.

Unless that surprising moment is still enough of a challenge gameplay-wise, in which case coming back to it is at least good for generating anxiety. You know it's going to happen, you know it'll be a tough fight, and you know you're not going to get any farther into the game until you go pick up that keycard and have two dozen imps teleporting into the room all around you.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
I honestly think the best thing to scare players are atmosphere and bad odds.
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
Alien Colonial MArines

Amnesia

Dead Space

Dante's Inferno

Diablo III- worst of all

Resident Evil 6? Was it supposed to be scary?
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Dante's Inferno: not a horror game...

Diablo 3: not a horror game...

why did you put these there? thats like saying Skyrim or HalfLife are 'Unscary Horror'

otherwise I can pretty much agree. (though amnesia is kind of a double-edged sword to me)
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
Well they did try to make Dante's Inferno look very scary, in the interviews the developers said that it was going to be scary.

Diablo III- it was supposed to be scary, I mean, it's the sequel to previous Diablos, after all. I know it wasn't supposed to be exactly 'horror' genre, but making it into a colorful fairy tale (It's got a fairy as a sub-boss, for pony's sake :O) is just something I can't bear.

Amnesia- what do you mean? Plus I can't wait until the Machine For Pigs and something I hope will be similar- Outlast.
:iconmysterio-san:
Mysterio-san Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   Digital Artist
I really think Haunting Ground is one such game. While the game has quite the creepy/slightly spooky atmosphere, but in a nutshell, the game just isn't that scary. It's just..."thrilling", I guess.
I think at first I was "scared" of the game, because I had no idea on what I was getting myself into. The further I got into the game though, that's when I realized that the game isn't all that scary that people make it out to be. The "tormentors" that chase the main character around are insane and can be a bit disturbing in appearance, but they're not scary.

It's a good game though. I just don't find it scary, is all. :hmm:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Really, it almost seems that more atmospheric games that play with your mind in subtle ways are winning out the scary/horror titles.
:iconmysterio-san:
Mysterio-san Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013   Digital Artist
Yeah, I have to agree. It's not a terrible thing, but...not exactly scary though. :hmm:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013
[link]

I mean, music itself can make or break it as well.
:iconlittlemissaries:
LittleMissAries Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's tough to make a real scary game. (The type of game that you can't play for more than an hour at a time.) I never played any of the older Resident Evils or Silent Hill but I did play the DEMO to Amnesia and let me tell you I didn't finish it. X_X

I think the best way to make a game scary is to make sure you're not a badass. Amnesia made sure you didn't have a weapon. Slender and SCP Containment Breach did the same thing as well. Dead Space was scary to me because of the risk and tension of a jump scare. But the more you play the less the jump scares begin to effect you and it just becomes an action game.

Fear of the unknown I think is something that needs to be explored more in games. Now a days it just seems like games are relying on jump scares than anything else. It also seems like the only games that can be scary are indie games. The last "scary horror" game that was mainstream was Dead Space.

The new Resident Evil games are all about the action and that's just not scary. You feel safe. You can't feel safe in a horror game. That's one of the things that makes horror effective.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I enjoyed the original X-COM games for really being able to bring the fear of the unknown factor and fear of loss factor way up.
:icondragonsong3:
Dragonsong3 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
'Lucius' is a very strange game. It's not scary as such, but it should be classed as a horror in my opnion.
It's based on 'The Omen' :P
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
New resident evil games
:icontexd:
TeXD Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
I've tended to find games that don't intend to be scary.....scarier.

Take the first level in Hitman Contracts, The Meat King's Party (I think it was called) did more in unsettling and scaring me than your Amnesias and Resident Evils.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Or the general atmosphere of Half-Life. It wasn't meant to be horror, but the suspense was so lovely.
:icondeannaretha:
DeannaRetha Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Almost any game that has horrific elements can be called horror, even if it doesn't scare you.

Bioshock is classified only as a "first-person shooter" with no specific genre attached to it. Anyone can call it "retro post-apocalyptic", "steampunk" and/or "(survival) horror" and it's all valid.

I'm actually incredibly irritated by gamers who claim a game is not scary or scary and explode on gamers who disagree. Fear - like any emotion - is entirely subjective to each individual. There are general atmospheric and physical things that scare and startle people, but the finer points are based on experience, personal makeup and phobias.

Although it's not considered horror, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within actually terrified me. I began playing M-rated games when I was fourteen and I didn't like horror games or movies. At the time, the Dahaka chases, decrepit environments, grotesque enemies (especially the executions) and periods of silence scared me. As an adult, the game doesn't scare me anymore, both because I've completed multiple playthroughs, but also because I've evolved to playing games like Dead Space and Silent Hill.

And, as I said, it's completely personal. I consider Dead Space (the first installment) to be the most frightening game I've ever played. The atmosphere is superb and despite what I've noticed other indiviuals say, I didn't find that the armor and weapons necessarily made the experience less difficult or frightening. I died from dividers, guardians and swarmers despite my upgraded armor and they were actually so difficult, I always panicked every time I had to face one.

At the same time, I don't feel Amnesia: The Dark Descent was scary at all. I felt it had potential, but as far as being "the scariest game" as so many claim it is, I can't say I agree. It became dull and repetitive as the game progressed and I didn't enjoy the gameplay or the story. I'm not claiming it's bad, but it's not a game I consider scary, just as others don't consider Dead Space scary.
:iconreluctantzombie:
ReluctantZombie Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Any horror that Slender may have is instantly killed when you see how terrible the Slender Man's model is.

Sometimes bad graphics can enhance the horror, like in the older Silent Hills. This is not one of those times.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Slender is a dud game anyway.
:iconreluctantzombie:
ReluctantZombie Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, there is just absolutely no replay value in it at all. You can play for like two minutes and you'll have seen the entire game.

ALSO, Parasite Eve. The games are well-made and have some excellent monster designs, but they're not scary. I think the problem is that the combat system is actually really fun.
Personally, I'd rather they call it an engine concept, even if that was a full lie. I'd also like to play, 'A Slower Speed of Light' by MIT Games Lab, but I seem to be missing something.
:iconratchetjak:
RatchetJak Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Alice: Madness returns was considered a scary game. I will admit, there were some disturbing parts in the game but it didn't really scare me really. I just enjoyed the story a lot. :)
The only games that have scared me were the Silent Hill Games, mostly for some of their monster designs. lol
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
None...usually because I play horror games like a dickhead so I ruin the fear factor for myself.

Even fucking Amnesia. That's not to say I can't be scared, but the odd things usually scare me in games. Usually shit not meant to be scary. Armos, Crocomire, even this statue in Skyward Sword's Fire Sanctuary but, God...I can't talk about that game.

Statues creep me out.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Actually, I consider Crocomire to be a valid jump scare.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I mean most do, but in a Nintendo title, it's not expected. That was an E rated title with extremely graphic boundary pushing death scene for it's time.....not to mention what happened after though that wasn't really what scared me. Death by lava is the only death that ever made me cringe (even if no lava death is ever accurate).
It wasn't Lava, Samus can Gravity Suit lava, it was the worse stuff, the acid.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional General Artist
Every horror game, aside from some brief moments in Alan Wake and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, has never scared me. Dead Space is my favorite third person shooter/survival/action game, which is why adding the cover based parts to it never upset me that much. The fact they castrated the economy system that worked great in the last two games, along with the progression system... that really bugs me, because that had a lot to do with strategy in that game. Hopefully weapon creation and such will be more enjoyable or at least on par.

But yeah... for a game to truly scare me, it has to catch me off guard or at a moment when I am truly weak in the situation. Even the "great" horror games of old couldn't do that, so long as you knew their gameplay mechanics well enough. Amnesia's alright, but it is so dependent on atmosphere that once you turn up the brightness filter, the horror goes away and essentially becomes a game of Pac-Man.
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You should really give SystemShock 2 a try ;)
It's essentially Bioshock's/DeadSpace's ancestor, a heavily atmospheric fps-rpg with elements of survival-horror. I was honestly bored from Dead Space, because its atmosphere fails and the gameplay is just to repetitive, but SS2 really sucked me in. There are really deep rpg-elements you have to think carefully about, the levels are expansive, clever and yet good-looking designed and despite its age, it handles really well.
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well, it seems I will actually get the chance, now that it's available on GOG.com. Although I pretty much have no cash no until Easter due to my getting Dead Space 3, but I'm rather patient when it comes to things like this.
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, if you're up to games like this, I can almost tell that you won't be dissapointed :la:
Although you should maybe look into the fanbased modding-community, the texture/polygon-update as well as the sound-update- mod is pretty much a must - no gameplay changes though ;) just makes it less eww to the eyeballs. also makes the game completely win7 compatible.
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional General Artist
Dude, I don't care much for graphics so long as it plays well. I don't care if it looks like Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight -- if it plays well, I'll enjoy it.
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
If I had a PC that could run it and a copy of the game I would definitely try it. However, I never really found Dead Space 2 to be as repetitive as the first game. There's a great deal more variety, and apparently even moreso with Dead Space 3 -- it's set across three entirely different environments with unique enemies to each.
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, you can get SS2 running on a current-age computer. I've got it running without any extra programms on my win7-pc. Just some mods from the community-forum and there you go. Getting a copy would be more of the problem I guess...
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
If GOG ever adds it, I'll be sure to pick it up. I understand the co-op mode is fun as well as the SP.
:iconarchtenshi:
archtenshi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
For me scariest game would be Fatal Frame, if for nothing else than for the fact that you never knew where you could be attacked from (especially on later days/nights in the game), but still not scary enough, so anything other than FF is an unscary horror game for me lol.

Silent Hill has awesome atmosphere, especially SH3, but only thanks to main character being a teenage female, so you kinda feel like you're controlling someone frail, and there are parts which actually creep the hell out of you (like walls that bleed or that room with mirror and bathtub). But still more atmospheric than scary.

Parasite Eve 2 for me had better atmosphere than any of Resident Evil games, which I don't even consider true horror games, just shooters as mentioned in some other comments, only scary thing in RE games would be BOOOOO! effect which basically works in any game no matter the genre.

Same goes for games like Dead Island, imo Undying had a lot better atmosphere than games like that. But when it comes to FPS games, nothing beats Aliens vs. Predator 2 when you play as marine, the same thing that makes FF scary works here too, you never know from where your next alien encounter might start. In other games in general you see hall, doors or window and know where it might happen so at least you're prepared.

Amnesia had great atmosphere which slowly draws you in as you play, but atmosphere itself is as good as that in Dear Esther, nothing that scary. Random running away from that monster didn't making that scary either, those parts were about as scary as Crash Bandicoot when you have to run away from bolders/bears/dinosaurs, just more thrilling.
:iconsuper-john-doe:
SUPER-JOHN-DOE Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Dead Space.

Look, I'm no horror expert, but when I'm wearing a fireproof, bulletproof and pretty much monsterproof shiny metal armor, can carry tons of powerful weapons and I have the ability to even upgrade everything, I don't think I'm gonna be scared at all.

And I wasn't. Seriously, just because I'm alone doesn't mean I'll be scared.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Heck, X-COM by Microprose gave you all that and yet you COULD STILL DIE.

[link]

Of course, the dark atmosphere and droning music likely helped.
Never played X-COM.
X-COM was really something for its day. Sadly, there was a bug where if a savefile was loaded, the difficulty would snap back to the lowest. So for the sequel, Terror from the Deep, they kicked up the levels several notches.
Never played X-COM.
Oh, it was a pretty awesome game for its day. Sadly, there was a bug in the original where if you loaded a save, the difficulty would snap back to the lowest setting, so the sequel, Terror From The Deep went and raised the curve by several steps.
That's not a very terrible bug! 'Specially if you're on the last level!

Was there any way to bypass or fix the bug?
I think there were later versions released that patched the bug or squashed it.
Oh good!
:iconblasian89:
Blasian89 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The only game that has ever scared me was the very first resident evil when I was like 9 years old. And thinking about it now, the only reason why it was so tense for me was because of the sluggish and restrictive controls. I jumped off my seat in RE0 when the zombie dog jumped into the window, but I was never scared enough to lose sleep or anything like that. And that goes for movies too, except for Chucky(my sis had a wall of dolls), freddy krueger, and some movie about a deceivingly friendly family that ate people lol (that was the very first time I was ever made aware of cannibalism) xD
Add a Comment: