Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 149

Paper Mario Sticker Star

:icontenshi3d:
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Got Paper Mario Sticker Star for Christmas. I was excited when I got it at first, but now disappointed and depressed after playing it. It's so flawed compared to previous Paper Mario games. You don't gain experience nor level up. That's the vital part of an RPG and and they removed it like no big deal. I like the idea of stickers, but I don't want rely just on the stickers. And because the slot machine option worked in the Thousand Year Door doesn't mean it'll work for other games.

I was looking forward to this game, now I just want out of my house.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhakumai:
Hakumai Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The focus towards think and solving puzzles that made this my favorite Paper Mario.
Though the occasional vague puzzles can be frustrating.
This game has hundreds of different attacks all with entertaining animations.
The art and writing are in top form as well. Especially the art.

But I still do like Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga better.
It is one of the funniest games of all time while also not being skill based rather than grindy.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I recently figured out the game. So it's not as bad as I thought.
:iconawesomeblossompossum:
AwesomeBlossomPossum Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm still waiting for a PROPER Paper Mario. Super Paper Mario had a great story but the gameplay was disappointing. I want partners, battles, tons of side quests, and leveling up or it's not Paper Mario. :U
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
You're no better than the people that hated Zelda 2:Adventures of Link.
:iconawesomeblossompossum:
AwesomeBlossomPossum Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah I DO hate Zelda 2, that game was shit.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Hey now, it wasn't THAT bad. At least it was a sequel to the original Legend of Zelda.
:icontoxicisland:
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Look I'm sorry about bothering you people about Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I know it might not be the best Nintendo game, but I just know the games will keep getting better.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I'm aware of that.
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Do you think Nintnedo is going uphill or downhill?
Can't tell.
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
How would you react if Nintnedo made their own TV channel that's better than Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon these days?
If they show reruns of "the Super Mario Bros Super Show", "Adventures of Super Mario 3" and Captain N: the Game Master.
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
How about they make a new Mario cartoon, that's several times more awesome than the old one? Oh they could also have a show based off of Shakespear's Macbeth but with puppet and how about a show that stars Cthulhu? Wouldn't that be epic?
I'm listening...
(1 Reply)
:iconmrgamezone:
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
I can't tell if you are sane anymore.
(1 Reply)
:iconmasterimpsy:
MasterImpsy Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think I would be okay with it if the stickers weren't the main method of attack and the turn based battling was taking out. They could have used the stickers for special attacks or special stats boosts.(Oh wait, that sounds too much like badges XD;; I miss those I guess)
I can't say much about how bad or good the game is cause I couldn't get into. It felt like pointless Mario game to me (Like most 2nd Mario games).

Oh well, I would buy the game to support the series but I'm still pretty iffy about it...
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
That's what I meant. This game didn't hold a torch to the other Paper Mario games.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
It is probably my 2nd least favorite Mario rpg after Partners in Time.

-The story took a backseat and a charming, humorous story is the only thing that keeps me going back to Mario RPGs. They focus more on gameplay and while that's usually not a bad thing, the Mario RPGs aren't exactly Wizardry or Shin Megami Tensei. They are not games that thrive on deep and expansive combat. Any gameplay and puzzles have been done much better by other RPGs/Adventures. If a person was only into RPG gameplay, this series would not be even close to their top priorities and I highly doubt sticker star would change their mind.

-The fact that Bowser and Peach barely have any moments. No Miyamoto, I don't give a shit about Bowser Jr.

-I'm indifferent to Kersti. I normally don't care for the "main" partner like her, Tippi, Starlow or that suitcase. It's just that I can ignore the latter 3 because of a. in Super Paper Mario, you get Bowser, Luigi, and Peach as your companions; b. in Bowser's Inside Story, Bowser is entertaining enough; and c. Mario & Luigi's interactions with the babies is kind of cute. Seeing as how there are no partners and this game doesn't have a lot of story, Kersti's blandness is all the more apparent.

-Speaking of partners, what the fuck happened to my chain chomp partner?:|

+If there is one thing I like is that Kamek was developed a little more. He's my favorite Mario villain. But even then, I would not buy the game just solely for that.

+There were a few genuine satisfying puzzles, moreso than the previous entries.
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I agree with your complaint about the story, but I don't think you can really criticize it for not being a straight-up RPG when the entire point is that it isn't a straight-up RPG. IMHO that's a good thing, since I'd rather play The Thousand Year Door than any other RPG.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I'm not saying it should be a straight up RPG. I'm saying that the Mario RPG series are mostly loved for their stories and characters. Their gameplay however are not something that can stand on their own. If you take away the partners and make the plot minimum like the main Mario series, I don't think Paper Mario or even Super Mario RPG would be cared about as they are now. The reason that I brought up Wizardry and Shin Megami Tensei is that their gameplay in the RPG department can stand on their own right, even when they do have full fledged stories. My issue is that if the Paper Mario series is going in Sticker Star's direction from now on, it had better be really good in their main focus. It doesn't have to be the same as typical RPGs.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I do agree. The other games did have those things that Sticker Star lacked. I wish I knew who was in charge of development of the game. Because the guy is SO stupid for making these choices.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
It was flawed, but I'll be damned if I can say that I didn't have fun with it. The only things that I didn't care for was how easy the standard battles are, and the throwaway plot. I can understand that they wanted to avoid the text walls that plagued Super, but that doesn't mean that they have to dump the story completely.
There was so much potential in this game that was wasted.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
How would you have improved it?
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Well for starters, add the leveling up concept. Also, have jump and hammer as basic attacks. And most Definately put partners in there.
But then they would have had to revamp the entire battle system, especially if they included leveling.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
There's no pleasing anyone here.
You can't have your cake and eat it too, mate. It's one thing if you don't like the sticker-based combat, but you can't call it a good idea and then say it could have been improved by them changing it completely.
:iconbarnowlgurl23:
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I got that game for Christmas this year so far it's fun
I do have fun with it, but it just doesn't feel like an RPG.
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Ignore barnowl. He's an idiot.
Ok.
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh it doesn't
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
:icongetoutfrogplz:
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All right I'll leave
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It was originally the only interesting thing the 3DS had, and I was going to get a 3DS just for this game. Unfortunately, I became less and less interested as each trailer was released, and now that I've heard both reviews and general opinions on the game, I'm glad I didn't. :hmm: It's a shame, because like a lot of people, I really wanted to see how a new Mario RPG would work on this system, rather than get a semi-broken adventure game.

Then again, I've always preferred the Mario and Luigi series over Paper Mario, so... :shrug:
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well, hey, maybe since there's a new Paper Mario, they'll make a new Mayro and Weegee, too! :dummy:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Now there's a game I'd buy a system for. :nod:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I know I would! :dummy:

even if I like Paper Mario more!
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wouldn't mind seeing a decent 2D game on 3DS actually...

Most people do! Well, most people before they play Sticker Star...
Well, depending on your definition of "2D", Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is really good!

I mean, the game is really good in general, but it can be considered "2D" in the loosest sense of the word possible.
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, forgot about that! :lol: It looks like fun, but I dunno about all the Final Fantasy guff in it (I haven't played that many).
Well, I don't recognize a good amount of the music, but it's really fun if you like rhythm games!
(1 Reply)
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I'm on the fence with this game. It just seems like it's just disappointing, and this is coming from someone who liked Super Paper Mario.
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Ouch.
Tenshi3D Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I liked Super Paper Mario too. Bothers me they have forgotten that this is an RPG series.
:iconroobspice:
RoobSpice Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I got it for Christmas too :v

I'm enjoying it so far. Although there are times when I just want to use a regular jump and I only have special jump stickers. Other than that, I think its great. I don't really mind the not leveling up, I mean, I was mildly bothered by it but then they introduced those little HP bonuses scattered through out the worlds. It really encouraged me to explore the areas more thoroughly so I don't miss out on that HP bonus. (Also made world 2 less of a pain)

Even though I'm not that far into it (World 3) I've never had a problem with having to fight a boss without having the correct item that I needed.

I don't know, maybe I'm just optimistic because its not another Mario Side scroller or something. /shrug.
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
There's a giant fish that you need a certain item for, unless you can do 88+ damage with one sticker. It's, like, the first thing you fight in world 4.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
How could you have trouble finding the Fish Hook?
Well, no, I found it easily (except I don't know where I found it), I just hate the fact that you have to use it, dammit!
Add a Comment: