Gaming vs. Art

How much time in a day do you spend gaming vs. the time spent practicing/doing art? Cause I definitely feel unproductive some days because I spent the whole day gaming instead of drawing and I just wanted to know if anyone feels the same way haha.
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Since developing/playing games is one of the forms of media/art I work in, playing games actually helps improve the quality of my art. Plus sometimes it'll give me ideas for writing. Granted, I don't play -all day-. I usually play for somewhere between 1-4 hours, sometimes more if I am talking to someone in the meanwhile or really into a game.
I've been gaming more than drawing lately as I've been in a cruddy place as I've been unemployed and a lot of my art motivation went away. But I'm sorting things out as I got a job (yay) so I'm trying to work on more art.
For me it goes pretty much like this: Do art at work, play games at home.
Haha, the perfect day it seems.
It does sound like one. But remember that drawing for fun isn't same as drawing for a living :) It can be pretty stressful at times
I barely have time to do anything creative these days.
To be honest, it depends on my mood. There are some days where I can't stop drawing or writing and I feel very productive. Other times, I can't resist that sweet sweet sound of gaming music, bright lights, and interactive monster battles. Still, even in my most inspired moments I probably spend more time gaming. Games are just so fun and addicting.
If all my gaming time was changed to art time and vice versa....

I'd have more watchers on DA
and
My KD ratio on BF3 would be 0.10
It depends if I've got a new game going on. I always make time for my art though, and video games always make me want to draw anyway.
To much gaming to little art but I really do want to get in to doing more art I hope to become good at drawing anime and fantasy art someday. And yeah I kind of feel the same as you sometimes.
games are art :) I feel equally satisfied to have a nice RP session in Skyrim as if I had drawn a good picture. Also a lot of my inspirations come from gaming, so I never see gaming as a waste of time.
That's a good way of thinking about it! I also think that games, like books and stuff, is a good way to immerse yourself in something, especially if it's similar to what you like drawing. Sometimes I just feel like I never draw which would defeat the purpose haha.
I only paint for work these days which is usually around 20 hours a week. Unless It's Friday or Saturday gaming is taking most of my time after sleeping. My time of 8 hour days painting are over, I never want to return to those, grueling work started to make me hate it.
I go to an art school, so I use what little free time I have to play games.
More time gaming. My parents don't support any of my passions, but art takes longer. Tedious.
I totally can relate to that feeling. I often feel like gaming but then again I think ''nah, I should use my time in a more productive way and draw something.'' So usually I spend my free time drawing. I rarely dare to play video games lately because I feel like I'm being so unproductive, so max is 1 hour a day but normally none at all. And yet there are still so many games I'd love to play. I hate my bad conscience lol.
Hm that is a difficult question....it depends :D, sometimes I spend more time gaming and other days I am way more focussed on art :la: and there are times when its nicely balanced :lmao:
However I cant really tell how much time I spend on it....I allways loose track of time when drawing or gaming O.o
There's a reason I don't game on my PC anymore :(
I used to game for like 4-5 hours and *maybe* do art for 1-2 hours. I've managed to switch those around, so now I draw 4-5 hours and game 1-2 hours, if at all, and I'm getting a lot more done for it! I also don't feel like some kind of lazy slacking weasel for wasting all my time :P