Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52

What are your favorite 2D styled video games

:iconclxcool:
CLXcool Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am aware most video games are made with 3D and are often done realistic. But there are games that tend to avoid the 3D routes and head for a more cartoon and animated look. They are often made with 2D graphics.

Examples of 2D animated games include Curse Of Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry: Love for sail, Dragon's Lair, Wario Land Shake It, Stay Tooned, Earthworm Jim, and other titles. So what are your favorite video games that are made with 2D animation/graphics?

My favorite games would have to be Curse Of Monkey Island and Wario Land shake it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfreaksdontbite:
FreaksDontBite Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
Street Fighter!
:iconnapalmshell:
napalmshell Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Limbo artstyle is pretty, but I'd go with Odin Sphere and Oboro Muramasa
:icon7ylercc94:
7ylercC94 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student General Artist
the world ends with you
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Mario, Sonic, Tarzan, Prince of Persia, Snatcher, Flashback, Mega Man, Street fighter, Flash games, Tetris, Ice Climbers, Castlevania, Metal Slug, Galaga, Pacman, Pajama Sam, Educational games, Strider, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Gunstar Super heroes, The list could go on. But these are the best.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The MOTHER series, Moon: Remix RPG Adventure and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

So pretty much old school JRPGs.
:iconaki-rain:
Aki-rain Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student General Artist
I really love the older Pokemon games for Game Boy Advance and earlier, before they were made for 3D. I like the new ones, too, but the older ones like Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen are particularly close to me because they were the first ones I played, and even though their graphics aren't like those in modern games, I still love the way they look.
:iconwickedtoad:
Wickedtoad Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Super Mario Bros.3 is the best 2d game of all time
:iconganesh893:
ganesh893 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Limbo :) don't really know if i call it 2D , but still an awesome game at that !!!
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
My favorite game IS 2D

Super Metroid

Acknowledge Super Metroid's greatness now plz
:iconakatsukidawn44:
AkatsukiDawn44 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Two games in one word: Metroidvania.
:iconcrystalistical:
Crystalistical Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Cave Story
Metroid
Pokémon
Touhou
Yume Nikki
Mother/Earthbound
Reactor for Atari
Asteroids
Kirby
Drill Dozer
and so on...
:iconpillowsledder:
pillowsledder Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
I really like games like gunstar heroes. Not because it's fun to shoot aimlessly and still hit anything almost all the time, but for the "cartoony" style, sweet sound track, and the fact I would be laughing all the way through. That's why I love Earthbound. :3
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Have you played Metal Slug X or Metal Slug three yet? It seems like they'd be right up your ally.
I've played one of them, I think it was 7. I don't own it though, like all the other games I wish I had. :shrug:
I play Metal Slug X and 3 once in a while, and they're a lot of fun. Classic arcade gameplay that never gets old.
Yeah, the fact that so much is going on and you're plowing through it while looking awesome is so satisfying. That's what makes arcade games have such a high replay value.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Amen, though admittedly I don't play that many video games. It's mostly something I do out of boredom (winters in the Northern US can be feel isolating sometimes).
pillowsledder Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't own many either. Nowadays, I switch between Minecraft and TF2, and occasionally Terraria. There is a lot of other great games out there I would be interested in, but the fact is, I don't have all the money in the world. So, I watch a lot of LPs, Game Grumps, the ex-normal boots crew, and look up wikis of a game franchise. Also, I'm setting myself on making a game that is perfect for me. One of them is a side scroller that has an identical sprite style to the old Mega Man. The only problem is is that I don't know what I should download and if it will slow down my family shared PC (windows7) (which is mine, but everyone uses it).
CLXcool Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Since you mentioned cartoony style, have you played the Mario and Luigi RPG series?
pillowsledder Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah, but I preferred M&LSS so much more than those that followed. The other two are so much of a step down in the means of freedom of exploration and the puzzles were so much more memorable in SS. Plus, it had surf board Luigi, that was radical.
CLXcool Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Something that I noticed threw me off on the later games. Crackella was never mentioned in the later games. You'd think Fawful would have some vengeance on the mario bros for killing her.
(1 Reply)
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Odin Sphere, BlazBlue, Skullgirls...There's way too many to name, but if I had to pick from all of them, Odin Sphere is by far my favorite.
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is it me or was 'Limbo' not mentioned yet?
I love that game...
CLXcool Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Never heard of that title before.
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Now thats rare, its actually a quite popular indie-titel. It's fairly new too
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Hydorah, DoDonPachi, Akai Katana.
:iconkakamaking:
Kakamaking Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The one I'm making...:P
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Too many to name... but Metroid, Tales of Pantasia, Megaman/X/Zero, Kirby and Mario come to mind.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
*Phantasia
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island.
:iconkoratah:
Koratah Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Cave Story is so great I've purchased it three different times.
I also am really fond of Home, which is on steam somewhere..
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm glad I'm not the only person to buy Cave Story multiple times.
I don't know, I can't see a reason not to buy it multiple times. Just about one of the best games I've ever played. I can't complain.
Me tooooooo!
Do you have a favorite part? Character? Ending?
Anything after the sand zone, really, because collecting the puppies was kind of annoying. Everything else was great, though. Maybe my favorite part was the Sanctuary, because it's so... difficult.

The best characters are just Quote and Curly Brace. TEAMWORK
I would reply with my own favorites because I kind of love everything, although I'm that person that prefers the bad/normal endings as opposed to the one that includes hell. Curly is one of my all time favorite female characters, I absolutely love her. And I have a love of silent protags so Quote became an instant favorite for me!
Curly Brace and Marina Liteyears for top tier.
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Mega Man Classic series
The first five Mega Man X games
Mega Man Zero series
Demon's Crest
Kirby series
Super Metroid and Zero Mission
Rayman Legends
Contra series
Castlevania series
Commander Keen
Cave Story
La-Mulana
Thunder Force series
Darius Gaiden and G-Darius
Gradius series
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and The Minish Cap
Bionic Commando NES and Bionic Commando Rearmed
NES Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Mark of the Ninja
Skullgirls
Guilty Gear series
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
The last three brought a tear to my eye. Anytime I see that someone plays those, I am so happy.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I gotta admit I miss the days where 2D platformers dominated the top titles. These days, asides from a few Mario games it seems all that tops the gaming charts are generic action/sci-fi shooters (well, I can understand their popularity, but I just don't like e'm :shrug:). I love the bright, cartoony, stylized charm of 2D games like the ones you mentioned and I'm glad some companies (mainly Nintendo) still invest some of their time in making them, especially since there isn't a really high demand for them like there was in the 90's.

Since we all know and love the classics, I'm just going to mention relatively recent games of the old style which I enjoyed (lol, all on the Wii too :XD:)

:bulletred: Wario Land - The Shake Dimension, was a really cool game but it suffered the same lack of attention as Wario games typically do no matter how good they are. It held a lot of similarities to the earlier game "Wario Land 4" on the GameBoy Advance which a lot of Wario fans (and me) regard as one of the best, only it had more to it to keep you busy, the additional "challenges" to each stage added a frustrating yet fun...well, challenge. It's like Mario for those who wish Mario games were a bit less easy.

:bulletyellow: Speaking of Mario, I can't ignore a "New Super Mario Bros" title even though there's like, a fourth one coming out soon. Might be essentially the same thing rehashed over, but as long as I like them, I'll play each one. Very fun and amusing in multiplayer mode especially.

:bulletgreen: Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Nintendo remade more than just Mario 2D platformers, they gave Kirby a workover too and it was an adorable yet surprisingly difficult game considering it's charming cuteness (not really hard, but I found it still requires more concentration than Mario). A lot of Kirby's classic power-ups are in there plus some cool new ones. Bringing the total range of items/powers to around 25, a lot more diversity than the 3-4 you get in most Mario games. Gets really crazy-fun in multiplayer mode, especially if each player inherits a different power.

:bulletblue: Perhaps my favourite out of my list is saved for last. Donkey Kong Country Returns is probably my favourite game on the Wii (or at least second only to Brawl). It's more than just a remake of the classic banana, hoarding duo - it's an improvement. The graphics, while cartoony - are beautifully stylized, sorta has a "Dreamworks Madagascar" look to it. The game is incredibly fun, especially with Diddy by your side as player 2, and man is it challenging. Don't make the mistake of assuming its just "Mario but with gorillas". It requires much more work than that to complete 100%. Kept me busy and entertained for ages.
:iconluke-the-f0x:
Luke-the-F0x Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Swords & Soldiers is quite interesting as its a 2D Battle Strategy game where you control armies of Vikings, Aztecs & Ninjas.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Metal Slug 3, of course.
Also, Yoshi Story. It's an excellent game despite what critics have said.
Cave Story is pretty great.

...I don't think I say that enough.

HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Cave Story more like CRY story

Seriously that was one of the saddest games I've ever played
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It was a pretty sad story.