RACISM & SEXISM in OUR Videogames?????

Check it... *I'm white by the way*
Nintendo. ALL WHITE. Hero always male.
Squaresoft. Mostly white. Hero mostly always male. (10-2 and 13 and 13-2 break the mold on this one.)
Most RPG's, white.

Why can't we have different color skinned heroes who aren't overly stereotypical?
Comments189
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nintendo created, if im not mistaken, The first Videogame Heroine, but I see where you're coming from!
Ms. Pac Man was the first.
<captain OBVIOUS=""> Because the demographic consists mostly of white men who like to project themselves onto blank characters. Not to mention the North American continent is generally saturated in the idea of Eurocentricism, and most people don't notice because it's the norm. Also, people don't take too kindly to stuff that's too different. </captain>
I'd also like to state that most of the charecters i've played as WEREN'T blank but well defined in terms of how they think. Most RPG characters.
I can understand where your argument is coming from. However, there are plenty of games with strong leads characters aren't white/male/etc.:
Lee Everett: The Walking Dead
Page: Fable III (while not a lead character, her personality was strong and she was a major female role in the series)
Faith: Mirror's Edge
The Elder Scrolls lets you create your own character. That's super not rascist/sexist.

One game, though, I have a problem with, is CoD.
Every guy is basically white, and women are not represented in the military. Even in the Black Ops 2 trailer, the narrator says "only men can finish the job" It's not that hard to say mankind...

There are a lot of points that can be argued for your argument. It's not just "Yes, games are racist" or "No, they're not"
I think i now realize what I'm truly angry at.

Most women's role have them either be super fighting machines, spies or just accessories to be f'ed and left.

There are no women games where the female protagonist uses her words to convince the enemies to disarm and try to give peace a chance.

Don't even think about using that game "Super Princess Peach" because she used her emotions. that was just wrong on so many emotions, implying that women can just switch emotions on and off instantly.
I'll use an example from before: Mirror's Edge

There's not going to be many games that say "Okay guys let's drop our guns and play tag." The major reason being that a game like that isn't really marketable. Games like Halo, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Mass Effect are marketed for their action.

Faith, from Mirror's Edge, was a runner (kind of like the bike people from Premium Rush) in a city with tight government control. She's willing to risk her life to prove her sister's innocence (a sister who is a police officer in this tight government) for a murder she didn't commit. For me, Faith is one of the strongest female characters I've ever seen in a game.
Go make a game about heroic black woman then. :shrug: oh wait, that requires one to give a fuq :P
Lee Everett.

"Urban" protagonist. Breaks the mold, one of the best characters I have ever witnessed.

The walking dead.

Your claim is now moot.
heard many people bring up that game.
YES! I agree with this forum topic completely, we need more white male protagonist!!
Oh sorry. let me try that again... *ahem*
YES! I agree with this forum topic completely, we need less black female protagonists!!
Yeah, It's quite tragic. We need more racism and sexism in video games.
You of all people should know; White makes Right. Every attempt to make a politically correct game ends up like this --->:iconcaptainplanetplz:
i'd rather play that then Superman 64.
It's alright, I understand. It's ok if you admit that you're a captain planet fan. He has a gnarly mullet.
I clicked on this thread with hope of a discussion of how racism and sexism are, and can be, used to enhance an atmophere in a game. I am very disappointed.
I love Racism in my video games! Though Nintendo, Squaresoft, and most rpgs aren't racist by default, only when nitpickers go through them and cry about supposed faults.

Not sexism though. Can't stand it.