Etrian Odyssey

I'm aware this is an obscure series developed by Atlus(Naruto, Snowboard Kids, Ogre, Shin Megami Tensei) I'm just wondering if someone can explain why this game is so beloved by its fans. I go on metacritic and it's one of the few games with a user score way higher than its critic score. I played the first one, I though it was sub par, drawing the map was a pointless chore, there was no animation, you couldn't even see your characters. The environment was nearly non-existent.

I really need someone to explain these above average reviews it keeps getting.
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Some people are just fans of turn-based Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers. :shrug: It's not like there's a lot of options out there for those.
Have you played other games in the genre? Some people just get REALLY REALLY into them. I don't like them myself, but my husband does. Never quite understood it, but it takes all kinds.
ASK HIM lol, seriously, my friend swears by this series as well and gets all pissy when I criticize it
Eh, the Romans had a saying that applies to video games as well as to anything else..
"There's no point in arguing about tastes" ;p

Some people just find repetitive dungeon crawling soothing and engaging. Perhaps it's a mild, harmless mental illness ;p