What happened to New Game Plus?

Comment hidden
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I heard Xenoblade has some nifty New Game+, but I haven't gotten to it because the game is so loooong
Which games are you talking about? I can't think of many modern games that don't let you use NG+
Why did the classic New Game Plus disappear?

But it didn't.
Mass Effect

Batman: Arkham City's New Game Plus is rather realistic considering that otherwise the game is cake walk with everything at your disposal. There's a reason Asylum didn't include it at all.

Dead Space 1-2

Syndicate (Co-op portion)

FEAR 3

Borderlands (you load the character and it gives you an option of what playthrough you want)

Dragon's Dogma

Dark Souls

Flight (Kongregate)

Lots of games use it, and admittedly more should, but some don't or limit it for a reason.
Comment hidden
The only game I can think of that would seriously benefit from New Game Plus is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And you actually can do that on PC, you just need to use the debug console patch for Burger Menu, then you could give yourself all your former abilities/weapons/items. And you could start from any point.

I don't see how cutscenes/action sequences even apply to this. The simple matter is that some games would just become broken. Red Faction Armageddon isn't even a challenge the first time through, and it almost becomes a chore of spamming abilities once you got New Game Plus and start unlocking cheats (as you'll unlock nearly every upgrade on your first playthrough).
Deus Ex Human Revolution SO BADLY NEEDED this...ugh so disappointed.
I don't really like playing a game after the credits unless there's new missions to do. :shrug: New Game + to me is like rewatching the same movie immediately after the credits.
both of the games I last played (dragon's dogma and dark souls) have ng+ mode, but only dark souls executes it well
Dark Souls: You unlocked...NORMAL MODE!(but we arn't going to tell you we just made enemies more powerful)
Of course New Game Plus forces you into a higher difficulty, especially in games like Arkham City and Borderlands 2 where you start the ng+ with all of your weapons, levels, abilities, etc. It's to provide you with a challenge. :pat:
Comment hidden
Then start a new file. :roll:
Comment hidden
Well, let me put it this way. Most people like a challenge at the end of a game that they just spent ours on collecting all these abilities and weapons, instead of being able to "skip to their favorite scene in the story" (and if that's so important, youtube). I don't think it's fair for the people that want a challenge to have be succumbed to, ONCE AGAIN, dumbed down content, when the people that don't like challenges can just start a new game on the easiest difficulty and fly through it if they are so inclined. :shrug:
The Batman games have used it recently. Borderlands uses it as far as I've read.
Comment hidden
Arkham City will only let you do New Game Plus once, and forces you into the highest possible difficulty.</>
I don't remember it being that way (with difficulty)
I have Bayonetta, Resident Evil 5 and Ninety-Nine Nights 2 with New Game+.

In Bayonetta and Resident Evil 5 you can unlock the good stuff on easy mode and then play on the harder modes once you have them.
The way you described it actually ruins a game for me.

Anyways, The World Ends With You has an unstated New Game+ where you can play any part of the game with everything you have, then hitting a New Game has every pin you collected.

Dragon's Dogma has New Game+ as you described as well as using stuff from your previous save. Unlike TWEWY, you can completely start the game from level 1.
Comment hidden
When I start over in a game, I want to face all of the challenges with as much difficulty as before. To me, it is okay to have an optional New Game+, so long as I'm free to start fresh.
Comment hidden
I usually leave the difficulty alone. But then if I wanted it higher, it is rather cheap (to me at least) to have powerful weapons and stats the second time through.