Just started playing Legend of Zelda NES...

And must say it's a good game. However, the game is slap-in-the-face hard in comparison with later games.
Comments95
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
it's a game of attrition, but once you get the patterns it's pretty damn fun.

some words of advice to help you for later:

-save upon your damn rupees. underneath one of the Statues you will find a ;passageway to a dwarf who sells you the blue ring for 250 rupees, which will help out...a lot.

-Bombs are one of the best items in the game. you can kill the first 3 bosses using them(if you time it right even, the 3rd boss dies in one hit!)

-when you get stuck in the maze of the western woods, I'll save you some rupees so you don't have to pay off the old lady: northwest, southwest.

-make sure you get the permit from the old man in the northeastmost corner of the map for the old lady to sell you potions

-whenever you find a guy who offers you a piece of heart or a potion, take the heart every time

-Dungeon #6 will be a complete bitch-that area is one of the reasons why Like-Likes are the most hated enemies in gaming history

-Ironically, Dungeon #7 may be the easiest-but you will need a lot of bombs

-also in Dungeon #7, the monster blocking your path has his stomach growling, which is a clue of what to give him

-Dungeon #9 is the only dungeon in the game that has 2 items inside, and you need them both, because one is the only thing that can kill the final boss, and the other is the thing that will make you survive reaching him

-be careful when exploring the hidden areas on the map-sometimes there where be people(or monsters) that give you money or items, but every once in a while you will get a pissed off guy who has you pay for his door.

hope that helps you out!
I've played that game before. The farthest I've made it was the second dungeon.
NES games are very unforgiving.
Games are too easy now. I think thats why this generation is so soft. :lol:

However, I really like the original Zelda. :dummy:
If you think it's hard already, just wait until you get to the level with the Wizzrobes!
Level 6 was the stuff my nightmares were made of when I was a child (well, that and Large Marge. Goddamn 80's)! I dreaded every step of that place!

And that nice, big shield you saved all that money to get? Yeah, kiss THAT goodbye!
If anything like the Wizzrobes in Link's Awakening, I don't think I have a problem.
Oh don't worry, you'll see what I mean... especially once you come across the blue ones!
You think that's hard? Try Bayou Billy.

Games in the NES era often did NOT want the player to win. We're talking start-over-at-the-beginning Game Overs here. And we didn't always have the Konami Kode to help us (and even when we did, it still took ONE hit to die!)

[link]

We 80's kids grew up tough when it came to games. The toughest of all were the old, OLD school PC gamers; the ones who bought their games on floppy discs in friggin' zip lock bags at stores. Those guys humble a coddled console kid like me.
Dangnabit! Back in Mah day, we didn't have these conflagged Online gaming. When we wanted play with friend, we played in my house. With two controllers. We had no "Wi-Fi" or "Wireless controls". Ours plugged into our system and we liked it!
And we couldn't beat Battletoads because your friend never learned how to keep his shit together on the speeder-bike level (not that we ever passed it on single player, but SHUT UP!)

Seriously, the days of going over to someone's house in order to play multiplayer. Man, those were the days.
Never played Battletoads. But I've seen so many ads for it in magazines and comic books. I wanted to play it, even to this day. Problem is they don't have it available for the Virtual Console.
Wouldn't even matter, nobody could beat that damn thing without an emulator (even just to practice) anyway.

...unless they truly, TRULY had no life.
I have a life.
Then don't count on beating it without an emulator.

Which is probably for the best.
View all replies
it is? cool i still have it with the booklet/box along with all the other early zelda games except zelda 2 =\
Do have a Link to the Past?
yeah that's my favourite followed by Majora's mask
The Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time 3D for me.
nah seems to be plenty of them on ebay
The only hard parts I find is trying to navigate and find stuff in the overworld. As hard and primitive as it is though, I actually like the first game better than most of the later Zelda games.

Try Zelda II. You'll be in for a treat.:aww:
I remembered Zelda 2 when I was a kid. My brother rented it from Blockbuster. I still remember the silhouette of Ganon on the "Game Over" screen.
Found this shiny cartridge earlier today whilst sorting out stuff in my room, made me feel a little old x'D
Well, actually, I downloaded oit on my 3DS. As part of The Ambassador program.

I heard that cartridge is worth a lot on the collector's market.