Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 65

Sonic Racing Transformed

:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Who's played and enjoyed this as much as I have? I'll admit to the first being a BLATANT ripoff of Mario Kart Wii down to the damn cheap motorcycles. This one however, I don't know what wizards Sega hired but this to me is the best kart racer I've ever played. The tracks are varied and have so many paths. The physics are a smooth blend of Hydro Thunder, NFS, and Diddy Kong Racing (car and plane). Not to mention unlike later Mario Kart games, I feel personally that the tracks are actually built around the physics to work properly before looking pretty. And pretty they are too!

The main thing that struck me though, is that I am playing a kart racer that actually takes...skill. No cheap wins or impossible to dodge items here. I can dodge every item with proper timing, track obstacles aren't impossible, drifting takes practice, and the AI is difficult in that they play just as smart as you should. It's just a great racer. I didn't have high hopes for this, but it turned out absolutely amazing. All the mistakes from the first were removed and the good stuff was carried over. There are some flaws, but not much to really ruin it for me. And $40 new? Bonus edition? That's a steal for a game bursting with content and variety like this.

If you like fun colorful racers or Sonic, give this a go somewhere. But skip the first one, especially if you have MK Wii.

Also, I'll say it first before any idiots do.
"Hurr durr, y is Sanic in a car win hes sooooo fass!!!1 and dis is a mario kart ripoff cuz no other kart racers shood exiss in da genra!".

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstareon:
Stareon Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I want to play it just because Vyse is a racer and there's a Skies of Arcadia track. It also looks quite fun.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
A Skies of Arcadia track? There's a few. I actually don't even know what Skies of Arcadia is to be honest.
:iconstareon:
Stareon Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's an RPG that was released for the Dreamcast and re-released on the GameCube. Vyse is the main character.
Here's the Wikipedia page if you want more info.
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The TF2 characters are way out of place.
:iconmrgamer01:
MRGamer01 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Exactly this.
:nod:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Team Fortress characters? What?
The PC version has three TF2 characters in one car.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
...I'm a bit hurt. BUT it makes more sense than Danica FUCKING Patrick.
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I don't know who that is.
She's either a formula 1 racer or a NASCAR racer. But, she's set records as the fastest female driver in the world. I guess that warranted her being in a random kart racer?
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
In a sanic game.
Makes no damn sense. I don't how fast she is. That's just...no.
(1 Reply)
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
@LukeTheRipper it is a well know fact that virtually EVERYONE in the gaming community agrees that the Sonic franchise is DEAD!

Except you because you like shit as hell crap games!

Sonic IS DEAD MORON! EVERYONE wishes that Sonic would die because his games are crap!

Sonic Generations was a mess of a game! At least I don't like games with crap controls, crap stories, horrendous music and the worst level choices ever. Unlike you in Generations!

So bye bye coward! Go and enjoy your crap games!
Uh huh
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love Sonic games, so I'm on your side.

Also, I believe this guy blocked me because of a Sonic forum post I made. So yeah, best to ignore him.
You warned me in a thread I made weeks ago. I don't care about him. A lot of people here try to get under my skin. Shit don't work.
Oh, yeah.. I did, didn't I?

Sorry, for that. :I
:iconluketheripper:
LukeTheRipper Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, technically speaking, this can't be a Mario kart rip-off unless the enemies gain teleportation skills and warp-speed as soon as you pass them by :XD:
But on a more serious note, such kart racers are pretty much the only racing games I like, and I played quite a lot of these, so I can honestly say, Mario kart took various things from other racing games, like Crash Team Racing or Chocobo racing, hell, even from such more obscure ones like Speed Freaks, so by now you can pretty much say that both All-Stars Racing and Mario kart use some general features usually found in the kart racing genre XD

(But on a side note, yeah, it is annoying how Nintendo fans smack every game as a Nintendo rip-off, it's not even funny anymore...)

As for the game itself, it took me a while to get a firm grasp on all the new stuff, but once I did, I just can't get enough of this ^^
Most people bash this gam,e for the high difficulty, but I actually find it quite refreshing that you compete against a competent AI rather than magical teleporting troll-enemies. The only downside for me was that some of the cast were excluded (most notably the Bonanza Brothers and the Chu-Chus, since I played as them often |D), but I must admit the newcomers were a great choice, especially Vyse and Gillius, never expected to see these guys here.
All the stages are also a great improvement, the variety of games from which these were taken is a really nice touch, as well as the remixed music tracks for these.
And lastly, I can't overlook the fact that each character got a completely new vehicle, well 3 vehicles technically, each with a great, detailed design, and fitting the chara driving it ^^

So all in all, while this game does have it's share of minor flaws, it's still a great title, more so when having a lower price than most new releases, and coming with a free DLC chara (as opposed to online passes most new games have...).
That first mention doesn't happen in Mario Kart, that's the Rubber Band effect that happens in F-Zero and faster-paced drivers. Cheap difficulty spike used that lazy developers use to piss off their skilled fans. :P

Just had to point that out.
Luke, I like the way you think. And honestly, I love a hard ass game. You should see the stuff I play on a regular basis. It is challenging, but it's a nice justified challenge. When you lose you know it's because you messed up, though. Hard as they are cheap cpus are not to blame. I was at Curien Mansion being dusted by Ralph and it felt good when I lost because it wasn't a sham. The computer just raced better and I need to learn what it did to beat them next time.

And yes...I hate Nintendrones. Not Nintendo fans, just the biased, narrow minded, militant motherfuckers.
Hehe, it's not like I play games for the challenge alone, I do have my favourite series, but that doesn't mean I wont try out some others |3

For starters, I'm not even any big fan of Sonic, I just played some Sonic games because I like platformers and kart racing, and while I did think Sonic 2006 was crap, and Sonic Unleashed was perfectly mediocre, I can't deny that Sonic Generations and the last 2 Sonic racing games were awesome, no matter what some certain random trolls and Nintendrones say >D

But still, if I'm losing because the comp is honestly better than me, I'm fine with that (well, not exactly "fine", but I can take it |D), but when the difficulty is amplified by mere dick moves, that is not exactly something I enjoy in a game...

Heh, and it's not like I dislike all Nintendo fans, I'm perfectly aware that whenevr a fandom forms, a "fandumb" part appears as well, be it Nintendo fans, Sonic fans, or fans of any other company/series.
Though I must admit, Nintendo fanboys, or Nintendrones as you call 'em, have been more of a nuisance than any other "fandumb", especially how they bash most games for supoposedly being clones of Nintendo (notable examples including Castlevania - Metroid, Playstation Sll-Stars Battle Royale - Super Smash Bros., and Darksiders & Okami - Legend of Zelda), it is getting more and more irritating, and it aint exactly making true Nintendo fans look any better.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Isn't this like the first Sonic game that's actually worth more than the disk or card it was made on?
Sonic 2006 was underdone and crappy, Sonic Unleashed was perfectly mediocre (not exactly "great" in any way, but not exactly "bad" either), Sonic Generations was one of the greatest platformers I've ever played, not too long, not half as frustrating as most Sonic games, just pure fun, and the cart racing games with Sonic, well, these are by far some of the greatest I've played.

And this is coming from a non-Sonic-fan, I'm perfectly neutral to the series (and have too much time to play games since I work at a vg shop XD), but then again, this might be why fanboy nostalgia doesn't cloud my judgement (not saying you're a fanboy, I just see many of these badmouthing each new Sonic game, how it's supposedly crap compared to the first ones...).
No.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Alright, would you care to cite a current gen example?
Colors, Generations, Sonic 4-2, and this game.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
You can present your case using the former two, but I'll have to mark off the latter first, as I feel that's the same mess that Sonic 4-1 was.
You can look up the IGN, Gamespot, and Metacritic scores as well as the vgchartz sales to deduce your own conclusion. I'm not arguing opinions on the Internet for GAMING of all things. That belligerent faggot with the generic Bayonetta pic already showed how that goes. lol
I could look up the scores and laugh at you for thinking that the numbers matter.
I never said I think they matter. I told YOU to deduce what you think the general consensus of the games' quality are for yourself.
Because how else would you conclude they're bad or good? If I went in detail explaining why I personally like the games, it wouldn't change your mind. But multiple qualified sites, user reviews, and how many copies sold should at least give an understanding. I'd hope.
(1 Reply)
I see you like playing fucking shit as hell games.

You have just listed 4 of the worst games ever released.

Generations is fucking shit loser. It is one of the worst games I have ever played in my life. I traded in that fucking shit monstrosity unfinished and quit playing it after 3 days.

Sonic 4 you fucking what. Listen Dimps wouldn't know how to make games if it came up and bit their asses.

Colours was only mediocre at best.

Now I see that SEGA have brought out yet another shit Sonic game as that is all they can make and care about even though the franchise is dead but they can't see that.
@LukeTheRipper
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black here. Takes a troll to know a troll.

[quote=LukeTheRipper]Sonic Generations was one of the greatest platformers I've ever played, not too long, not half as frustrating as most Sonic games, just pure fun, and the cart racing games with Sonic, well, these are by far some of the greatest I've played.[/QUOTE]

I have a better life than you can only dream of fucktard! At least I don't like and love crap as hell Sonic games fucktard! You can't say anything to anybody loser!

You couldn't have played many platformers if you think Generations is "one of the greatest platformers I have ever played"! Listen troll boy EVERY platformer ever is better than Generations!

Let me guess you are knew to Sonic right? Every Sonic game till 2003 beats the living crap out of Generations!

Oh and Sonic R beats the living fuck out of these crap Cart games! The Cart mini game in Adventure 2: Battle is better than these games!

So goodbye troll go back to your crap Sonic games! Oh and I see you can dish it out but can't take it!
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
So Generations is basically a harkening back to Sonic games released before 2003 (with the ones afterwards), and yet it is worse than the Sonic games released before 2003?

I don't get your logic
Oh hi there random troll, how nice of you to drop by and show us all we have way better lives than you'll ever have :XD:
That's nice.
I will take the bait: Sonic Generations, Sonic Colours
Alright, would you care to present evidence, or comparison?
Sure: Sonic Unleashed, Sonic storybook series, Sonic 2006
Hmmm. Evidence accepted and calculated.
:iconbrawldrawer:
Brawldrawer Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've only played a demo of this, but I wanna buy it myself! This game is absolutely gonna be under every Sonic fan's tree!:iconsoniclaplz::iconknuxplz:
It's a lovely game. WAY better than the first.
Brawldrawer Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hax yea! Quick question, is Alex Kidd still there?
Yes he is, he's actually time unlocked, as he unlocks automatically Dec. 25th.
Brawldrawer Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
On Dec. 25th & beyond?
Dunno about "beyond", but I know he's supposed to be automatically unlocked on Dec. 25th. well, if you get it later, you can always set your PS3 timer to Dec. 25th and later change it back to normal, eh XD
Brawldrawer Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Wait....JUST PS3?
LukeTheRipper Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh sorry, I have only a PS3 myself so I was only speaking of the PS3 timer, but it should be the same for other consoles |D
(1 Reply)
No clue. I never checked the roster and have t unlocked everyone.
Brawldrawer Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh...:( Thanks anyway
Add a Comment: