Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Biohazard 7 and beyond: The future of Resident Evil...

:iconchris-redfield-2013:
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Sure, some of us jumped ship as far back as R.E.4, while others stuck it out through 5 and 6. Now with R.E.7 looming on the horizon, longtime fans are wondering just how Capcom will end this over-bloated, overly-confusing, horribly-written series will all come to a close. IF they choose to end it at all, that is. Should they decide to wrap up the story(in some pathetic, cheesy, forgettable way, that is! xD)in R.E.7, their best bet is to just go back and reboot the WHOLE series. But what kind of approach should they take? FPS? MMORPG? Open-World? Or just keep beatin' the same ol' TPS drum for another two decades? Or should they take a "Slender: The Eight Pages" approach? Strip away the story and characters entirely in favor of a minimalist approach? Personally I would like to see either that or the Open-World take. Should they feature a storyline, Capcom should get in touch with industry greats such as Ken Levine(BioShock, BioShock: Infinite), Dan Houser(Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto V), and maybe even David Cage(Heavy Rain). I'm sure their combined forces would give us at least a kinda/sorta likeable story. Character-wise, I think the existing cast can remain(although they could use a complete rewrite). Oh, and Unreal Engine 4(with Euphoria and Bullet!). Capcom would be foolish not to consider that. But all of this is just my take. What's yours?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Capcom needs to retire Resident Evil, at least for a few years. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
That's one way of doing it.
:iconblasian89:
Blasian89 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
RE6 should've ended with Chris dying and passing the baton to Piers, Leon retiring after failing to protect the president and passing the baton to Helena, and...well, jake IS a new character, and Sherry hasn't been used a lot so that's fine. Ada Wong pisses me off and should either die or retire with leon. Also, where the FxCK is Sheva??? She was a great and respectable character with a fresh(relatively lol) tragic backstory.

Bring in a new generation of characters, and for fxck's sake enough with the over-the-top action flick...the rinsed & repeated series of bad luck followed by the inevitable zombie wave got old, repetitive and predictable really fast and needs to die. Like, now lol It is absolutely lazy, stale and unprogressive.

Wesker is DEAD, they need to go back to the drawing board, start new, start fresh and start simple. Zombie outbreak in an isolated area(or two), that's it. No j'avo, no 2-dimensional villains with a God complex and a convoluted plot to rule the world, and no giant zombie T-rex bosses that transform into giant fucking zombie flies WHAT. THE. FUCK.
:iconmagicmoonbird:
MagicMoonBird Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It should go on, I love the games and all...athough I didnt like the fast aging of the characters.....I kinda hope there will be a confrontation between Jake and his father, but I know the chances are very slim >.> .....Capcom should have never killed of the main villain, I really hope the Wesker that died in the 5th game was a clone :shrug:

I think they kinda went back to the core with Leon's story in the 6th game, I liked the atomsphere....though I only watched the cutscenes and didnt play the game myself ( yet) :lmao: ...but well I think they are on the right track, so maybe the 7th game will be even better :la:

A mmorpg could work...but they need to let go on the focus on the current stories, maybe let the player choose a side....and if they are the good guys then can have quests like preventing a outbreak or stopping one in little towns or something and if they are the badguys they can have quests like taking samples from infected in certain area's or release a virus somewere to see the effects.....just my thoughts :XD:
:iconraimifilmproductions:
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I think an open-world would be an AWFUL way to go with Resi Evil; they've always been story focused (the canon ones anyway) and designed to create a set atmosphere, and I think making it open world would kill it. Though I am one of the few people who thought it ruined Batman Arkham City so most may disagree :/

I think they just need to stop making it all so over the top and "epic" and make 7 a more condensed story about 1 event, smallscale (i.e not another "and THE WORLD is in danger!!") and just focus on atmosphere and characters. That's why I think 4 worked so well
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Okay, I'm gonna disagree with you on the story part. The whole thing is full of so many loose ends, and on top of that, it's just downright too goofy to be taken seriously at most points. All in all, it's just bad writing(like 95% of all other video games). The characters on the other hand... Some of them have been in this for sooo long(Chris and Leon, just to name a couple...), that I play the games just to see where the journey takes them(the critics that say that Capcom should drop Chris and Leon from the story entirely because they're "tired" of seeing them can go to hell for all I care). That's my conundrum with Resident Evil. I like the characters and their struggles, but dislike the overall storyline. And I think Open-World could work as an "Experimental Reboot" of sorts. A reinterpretation of the R.E. storyline so to speak. If that fails, they could just go back to linear-based...
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I admit the stories are poorly written, but they ARE still very heavily focused on it and the ones I've tried where they minimilise story for gameplay tend to be worse.
I absolutely HATED Resi 6, because it's story was pathetic and dull (and Chris and Jake's campaign handled awkwardly on top of the bad writing), but I think if they did set their aim on something smaller, like Resi 1,2, or 4 - contained to mansion, Racoon City or a small island. I also think writing wise, 4 was half-decent because of how they did it - the cliche and general bad writing came across tongue-in-cheek for me and made it fun rather than just stilted.
I am happy if they dropped the overused characters though and threw in someone new to help freshen it up.
I do understand what you're thinking of rebooting with an experiment, I do think as an open-world it would require MORE of their awful writing and on a bigger scale, so would wind up more like their bloated 5 and 6 stories
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Well yeah, Open World would require more writing. I just think at this point they should give somebody else a chance with the story, like Dan Houser or Ken Levine(great writers, IMHO). Perhaps one or bolth of them could give a fresh spin on a long-dead storyline. Sadly, considering the mixed to negative reviews that R.E.6 got, I highly doubt they(or any other decent writer out there)would want to damage whatever reputation they have in the industry by working with dear ol' Cappycon...
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I would be happy with them getting in new writers, and can't say much about Ken Levine - never really played a game he's written, but Dan Houser does have a sharp eye for good dialogue. Never been a big fan of the overall story writing for the GTA series but I think he was more just writing the dialogue which was always REALLY good.
I just hope Capcom kind of listen in general to all this reaction and do what they did when people wee upset around Nemesis / Code Veronica era and bring people in for a reimagining. Rather than just stagnate it further with this action fighter style that reaaaaally doesn't work with this setting. I was kind of okay with Operation Racoon City because it made sense for the setting (being a spec ops force cleaning up the mess rather than just a lone cop) and still kept the right tone of tge franchise, but still wasn't great.
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Ken's writing just had that "magic" about it. There was just something about Rapture that I liked a LOT. He has that ability to give us a world we can lose ourselves in for hours upon hours. It was what kept me glued to the TV during my playthrough of BioShock. Can't say the same about BioShock 2, but BioShock: Infinite looks like it has potential for some quality storytelling. Dan Houser's stories were never really STORY driven, but more CHARACTER driven, IMO. I'm more than sure he can give the R.E. cast that "Human Element" they've been in dire need of since the series' inception. I think if these two writers were to team up with Capcom for "The REboot"(pun intended, lol), it's quite possible they could craft a journey that's actually memorable for a change.
Add a Comment: