Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Biohazard 7 and beyond: The future of Resident Evil...

:iconchris-redfield-2013:
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Sure, some of us jumped ship as far back as R.E.4, while others stuck it out through 5 and 6. Now with R.E.7 looming on the horizon, longtime fans are wondering just how Capcom will end this over-bloated, overly-confusing, horribly-written series will all come to a close. IF they choose to end it at all, that is. Should they decide to wrap up the story(in some pathetic, cheesy, forgettable way, that is! xD)in R.E.7, their best bet is to just go back and reboot the WHOLE series. But what kind of approach should they take? FPS? MMORPG? Open-World? Or just keep beatin' the same ol' TPS drum for another two decades? Or should they take a "Slender: The Eight Pages" approach? Strip away the story and characters entirely in favor of a minimalist approach? Personally I would like to see either that or the Open-World take. Should they feature a storyline, Capcom should get in touch with industry greats such as Ken Levine(BioShock, BioShock: Infinite), Dan Houser(Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto V), and maybe even David Cage(Heavy Rain). I'm sure their combined forces would give us at least a kinda/sorta likeable story. Character-wise, I think the existing cast can remain(although they could use a complete rewrite). Oh, and Unreal Engine 4(with Euphoria and Bullet!). Capcom would be foolish not to consider that. But all of this is just my take. What's yours?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Capcom needs to retire Resident Evil, at least for a few years. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
That's one way of doing it.
:iconblasian89:
Blasian89 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
RE6 should've ended with Chris dying and passing the baton to Piers, Leon retiring after failing to protect the president and passing the baton to Helena, and...well, jake IS a new character, and Sherry hasn't been used a lot so that's fine. Ada Wong pisses me off and should either die or retire with leon. Also, where the FxCK is Sheva??? She was a great and respectable character with a fresh(relatively lol) tragic backstory.

Bring in a new generation of characters, and for fxck's sake enough with the over-the-top action flick...the rinsed & repeated series of bad luck followed by the inevitable zombie wave got old, repetitive and predictable really fast and needs to die. Like, now lol It is absolutely lazy, stale and unprogressive.

Wesker is DEAD, they need to go back to the drawing board, start new, start fresh and start simple. Zombie outbreak in an isolated area(or two), that's it. No j'avo, no 2-dimensional villains with a God complex and a convoluted plot to rule the world, and no giant zombie T-rex bosses that transform into giant fucking zombie flies WHAT. THE. FUCK.
:iconmagicmoonbird:
MagicMoonBird Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It should go on, I love the games and all...athough I didnt like the fast aging of the characters.....I kinda hope there will be a confrontation between Jake and his father, but I know the chances are very slim >.> .....Capcom should have never killed of the main villain, I really hope the Wesker that died in the 5th game was a clone :shrug:

I think they kinda went back to the core with Leon's story in the 6th game, I liked the atomsphere....though I only watched the cutscenes and didnt play the game myself ( yet) :lmao: ...but well I think they are on the right track, so maybe the 7th game will be even better :la:

A mmorpg could work...but they need to let go on the focus on the current stories, maybe let the player choose a side....and if they are the good guys then can have quests like preventing a outbreak or stopping one in little towns or something and if they are the badguys they can have quests like taking samples from infected in certain area's or release a virus somewere to see the effects.....just my thoughts :XD:
:iconraimifilmproductions:
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I think an open-world would be an AWFUL way to go with Resi Evil; they've always been story focused (the canon ones anyway) and designed to create a set atmosphere, and I think making it open world would kill it. Though I am one of the few people who thought it ruined Batman Arkham City so most may disagree :/

I think they just need to stop making it all so over the top and "epic" and make 7 a more condensed story about 1 event, smallscale (i.e not another "and THE WORLD is in danger!!") and just focus on atmosphere and characters. That's why I think 4 worked so well
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Okay, I'm gonna disagree with you on the story part. The whole thing is full of so many loose ends, and on top of that, it's just downright too goofy to be taken seriously at most points. All in all, it's just bad writing(like 95% of all other video games). The characters on the other hand... Some of them have been in this for sooo long(Chris and Leon, just to name a couple...), that I play the games just to see where the journey takes them(the critics that say that Capcom should drop Chris and Leon from the story entirely because they're "tired" of seeing them can go to hell for all I care). That's my conundrum with Resident Evil. I like the characters and their struggles, but dislike the overall storyline. And I think Open-World could work as an "Experimental Reboot" of sorts. A reinterpretation of the R.E. storyline so to speak. If that fails, they could just go back to linear-based...
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I admit the stories are poorly written, but they ARE still very heavily focused on it and the ones I've tried where they minimilise story for gameplay tend to be worse.
I absolutely HATED Resi 6, because it's story was pathetic and dull (and Chris and Jake's campaign handled awkwardly on top of the bad writing), but I think if they did set their aim on something smaller, like Resi 1,2, or 4 - contained to mansion, Racoon City or a small island. I also think writing wise, 4 was half-decent because of how they did it - the cliche and general bad writing came across tongue-in-cheek for me and made it fun rather than just stilted.
I am happy if they dropped the overused characters though and threw in someone new to help freshen it up.
I do understand what you're thinking of rebooting with an experiment, I do think as an open-world it would require MORE of their awful writing and on a bigger scale, so would wind up more like their bloated 5 and 6 stories
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Well yeah, Open World would require more writing. I just think at this point they should give somebody else a chance with the story, like Dan Houser or Ken Levine(great writers, IMHO). Perhaps one or bolth of them could give a fresh spin on a long-dead storyline. Sadly, considering the mixed to negative reviews that R.E.6 got, I highly doubt they(or any other decent writer out there)would want to damage whatever reputation they have in the industry by working with dear ol' Cappycon...
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I would be happy with them getting in new writers, and can't say much about Ken Levine - never really played a game he's written, but Dan Houser does have a sharp eye for good dialogue. Never been a big fan of the overall story writing for the GTA series but I think he was more just writing the dialogue which was always REALLY good.
I just hope Capcom kind of listen in general to all this reaction and do what they did when people wee upset around Nemesis / Code Veronica era and bring people in for a reimagining. Rather than just stagnate it further with this action fighter style that reaaaaally doesn't work with this setting. I was kind of okay with Operation Racoon City because it made sense for the setting (being a spec ops force cleaning up the mess rather than just a lone cop) and still kept the right tone of tge franchise, but still wasn't great.
Chris-Redfield-2013 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Ken's writing just had that "magic" about it. There was just something about Rapture that I liked a LOT. He has that ability to give us a world we can lose ourselves in for hours upon hours. It was what kept me glued to the TV during my playthrough of BioShock. Can't say the same about BioShock 2, but BioShock: Infinite looks like it has potential for some quality storytelling. Dan Houser's stories were never really STORY driven, but more CHARACTER driven, IMO. I'm more than sure he can give the R.E. cast that "Human Element" they've been in dire need of since the series' inception. I think if these two writers were to team up with Capcom for "The REboot"(pun intended, lol), it's quite possible they could craft a journey that's actually memorable for a change.
RaimiFilmProductions Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I have heard alot about the world crafted through Bioshock, but only managed to play a few hours or so of it so can't really say how well I thought it was written.
Well I did get the feeling I was SUPPOSED to get invested in the story (especially GTA4, which is what put me off that one in particular) but when was allowed to roam and enjoy the side missions and the little random moments / radio stuff the writing was excellent! (personal fave being San Andreas), so yeah as long as they don't make it too comedic I'd be happy enough with your dream teamup, though still reserved about an open-world idea.
:iconendless-insanity:
endless-insanity Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
After the horrible RE6 I have no hope for the future of RE... maybe if Shinji Mikami came back...

What I want to see now are full remakes of RE2 and RE3 and Revelations ported to PS3.
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Nintendo published Revelations, so I wouldn't count on getting that.
endless-insanity Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
I wouldn't be so sure =D

[link]
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Unless you have some sort of evidence that Nintendo now publishes games for rival consoles, those are more than likely false.
endless-insanity Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
The chronicles games, both The Umbrella Chronicles and The Darkside Chronicles previosly Nintendo-exclusive are now available on the PS3 through the PSN store:)

And RE belongs to and is published by Capcom, not Nintendo;)
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
You don't get it. Google "Resident Evil Revelations," and look at the publisher:
Publisher(s):
Capcom
EU Nintendo
Nintendo Australia

1) It will be ported in the US and nowhere else (unlikely).
2) It'll remain a Nintendo exclusive.

The chronicles games, both The Umbrella Chronicles and The Darkside Chronicles previosly Nintendo-exclusive are now available on the PS3 through the PSN store

Tell me when you can get REmake and Zero for PS3 :B
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
At this point, I'm surprise Capcom hasn't made the series full COD-FPS. They might as well.:hmm:
:icontronmanz:
TronmanZ Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Resident Evil hasn't been good since RE4
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Resident Evil is Capcom's flagship, so it's unlikely that they'll kill it anytime soon. What they should do, though, is get rid of their old characters, either by killing them or simply having them retire: Leon, Claire, Chris, all of them. They're all about 40-years old in RE6, and it seems rather unlikely that, say, Ada would be able to keep up her decidedly demanding career for much longer.
:iconceriselightning:
ceriselightning Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This is going to be very long. Anyway, RE4 received all those good reviews because it introduced something new, although I was bummed a little bit but the game grew on me and I consider it one of my favorites. Capcom I suppose took the wrong idea and thought this new concept would make them millions (which it did) and they milked it. Now the series has become very generic. Strangely enough, I don't hate RE. I still love it. Loved the 6th part, and the 5th one, and Revelations was awesome! I think my issue is with the STORY! They're doing the same thing over and over again. A new kind of virus, a new terrorist organization, a new outbreak, go there wipe the whole place clean of BOWs and bam! In the first three, the characters were shoved into those situations, they did not know what they were getting into and their primary objective was to survive. Now, you know where the outbreak is and you strut over there with your AK-47s and tanks to wipe the place clean. They did a good job with Leon's scenario 6. But one thing is for sure, the series is never going to be scary anymore. Not because they are doing a bad job but because fans don't scare easy nowadays. Back in the day I was 8, it scared me. And if you remember there weren't many good survivial horror games those days beside RE and Silent Hill (RIP), and they both were constantly compared because there wasn't another contender that qualified. Now we have so many survival horror games: Dead Space, FEAR, Alan Wake just to name a few. Competition is stronger, there are a LOT of titles to compare to.
Open world sounds very good, it would infact work well what with the new formula being used, because the primary objective is not survival anymore, it is rescue, save the world blah blah. The BSAA venturing into other areas, find some tiny rescue sidemissions, I think it would work. But not with a Reboot of the first games. Metal Gear has stepped into that direction, lets see how well that turns out.
What I really want is Capcom to release a RE finale. Put all the primary characters in one game. Conclude their stories, they are just dragging it along. The characters are getting old. They have had a lot of shit, give them happy endings. How long will they keep fighting? And then Capcom can focus on reboot, remakes and everything. They have the outbreak characters to follow up on too. There are so many possibilities. They need to get their heads straight -_-
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I think my issue is with the STORY! They're doing the same thing over and over again.

I disagree with that. The individual games may not be very story driven, but the series as a whole has been becoming very Metal Gear Solid-esque after CODE: Veronica. Revelations and 6 abandoned all pretense and ran away with it, and now figuring out the RE canon is only slightly easier than figuring out Zelda's.
I agree with a lot of what you said about RE being generic, the story repeating itself and especially about the characters. In RE1 and RE2 the characters had no idea about the zombies or any BOW's or what was going on, they just wanted to survive. Now they are agents and soldiest and whatnot. This is why I want a game with Claire or Rebecca. Because they are civillians.

What I don't agree with is when you say that "there weren't many good survivial horror games those days beside RE and Silent Hill (RIP), and they both were constantly compared because there wasn't another contender that qualified. Now we have so many survival horror games..."

There were plenty of GREAT survival horror games back in the days, many of them (in my opinion) better than RE/SH.
*Fatal Frame/Project Zero I, II:Crimson Butterfly and III:The Tormented
*Clock Tower 1, 2:The Stuggle Within and 3
*Haunting Ground
*Rule of Rose
*Siren 1 and 2, Siren:Blood Curse

These were the days when developers knew (or cared) to make good survival horror games. DS or FEAR never interested me and this is coming from a huge survival horror fan. Neither does Amnesia. Amy didn't live up to its promise. Alan Wake... maybe. Point is, the golden days of survival horror is long gone. Sadly.

Yes, the original characters deserve a happy ending after all the bs they've been thought. Leon, Claire, Jill and Chris deserve a happy, retired life with family and kids:) they can have cameos or star in flashbacks/spin-offs and leave the spotlight in favour of Sheva, Helena, Sherry, Jake and other newcomers.
:iconceriselightning:
ceriselightning Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
*Bangs head* How could I forget about Clock Tower? Yeah there were a lot of very good games, but most of the ones came in the PS2 era. God I used to love Fatal Frame, and Siren! I don't really remember many survival horror games other than RE (1,2,3) and Silent Hill 1 back in the PSX era.
You're damn right, they don't make quality games anymore *sigh*. Despite all the technology and HD graphics at their disposal, none of the developers have come up with a nice game for a long time. They don't care about the story or standard. Just sales, and unfortunately there are a lot of people willing to buy to encourage these devs to carry on. Oh well.
I am VERY curious about how 7 is going to turn out. Capcom is sure not to take the bad reviews lightly. They will introduce something new, I just hope they don't ruin anything.
I couldn't agree with you more =)

Yeah, RE1 and SH1 pretty much defiend survival horror. I do think the first and possibly second CT belong to the PSX era but I'm not entirely sure if they were available for the PS1 console. Great games. No weapons, not martial arts, you are a young, scared girl and all you can do is run, hide and prey they don't find you. Now THAT's survival horror if you ask me ;)

I hope you're right. I had such high excpectations to RE6 and I was so dissapointed. On the bright side, it can't possibly any worseXP I have to admit I am curious about Jake & Sherry and I want to see them again in another game. A return of Claire would be nice as well. Or Rebecca or Sheva.
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I would like to see this, the gorgeous Claire is brought back and the objective of the game is to blow the living fuck out of the ugly grotesque as sin pathetically useless waste of oxygen that is known as Jill Valentine.

I would give anything to be able to do that as I hate her fucking guts with a passion. She is the most useless games character ever.
:iconashtonkennedy:
AshtonKennedy Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd like to see the series wrapped up with Ada dying a gruesome, horrific death is all.
That's all I want out of the ending.
A dead Ada.

And an alive and retired Chris.

That's all I have so far.
:bow:

:clap:
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Maybe Capcom should try to put aside their money-grubbing tendencies and spend real time on a quality game, and actually give us the full product in the end. :shrug:
:icondarktonic:
DarkTonic Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe it can be saved but I don't see it being saved such as you say Chris. Personally it can keep evolving but evolve by putting back in horror. I'm not talking like everyone else

I'm saying make it new horror

Add stuff in that will make us have chills and want to run for our lives. Reinvite horror survival and make it scarier. They can do it. Show that the series can once again reign as king of horror survival
I'm all for "horror" as long as it actually scares us. Like I said below, R.E. was never all that scary to me. And yes, the idea of an Open-World R.E. game(despite being completely out of context)has always fascinated me, despite what others say.
That is rather a good idea. But i meant I don't like the FPS idea XD I only play one fps game

Open World would be amazing.
Yeah, I just threw that in there for those that would, lol. Or worst case scenario, R.E.7 is an full-blown FPS(Uh-Oh...). Then again, didn't Code: Veronica(and Dead Aim)experiment with FPS? An MMORPG could be intresting as just a spin-off(likely just another profit-oriented venture for Capcom though).
On the other hand though, the implications of an Open World REboot could be huge... IF executed right. Imagine a Raccoon City(among other locations across the series)that you could roam without any restrictions. A full TOD system and Seasonal Changes(has this even been attempted in a video game???). For example, I think visiting the Spencer Mansion in the dead of winter, or during the daytime would be interesting. Looking for that all important horror? Just take a stroll through the Arklay Mountains at night. Chances are, you won't be coming back in one piece...
No Code Veronica didn't. Your thinking of Survivor XDD
Ah, I see.
Lol Code Veronica was pure old fashioned fixed camera angel
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
So you're saying it can be saved by making it totally unrecognizable. Sounds just lovely.
It's interesting to me that none of your ideas are the ONE idea that can save any video game series: kidnap Shinji Mikami and tie him in front of a computer until there's a new Resident Evil game.
Funny, it was Shinji Mikami that made the shift from horror to action in the first place. And then I suppose there's the "shitcan R.E. in favor of a new IP" if all else fails...
I :heart: anything he does, I don't care if he shifted it.
Although, I'm pretty sure he worked on 3, didn't he? Maybe I'm wrong.

Capcom doesn't seem to be doing great with new IPs these days. Or their old IPs. They're even worse when they get 2nd party developers to handle them.
Yes, Mikami worked on all the R.E.'s until the whole RE4 being ported to PS2 issue. R.E. was never all that scary to me(nothing against Mikami-San, zombies and B.O.W.'s just suck at being scary, lol). It was always the characters and atmosphere of each game that kept me coming back for more. The story on the other hand... Not so much. They should have kept it simple. That's why I suggested the writers I mentioned above. To me, they've always seemed to do good work when it comes to story. As for other Capcom IP's, Lost Planet wasn't all that great. Remember Me looks like it's walking that same path too...
Golden Axe ; __;
Bionic Commando ;;____;;
Oh yeah... Those... :/
Dead Rising wasn't so bad though...
Oh, on the subject, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is an adequate series.
I'm not going to say a thing about Devil May Cry 5.
Yeah, I might buy the new DMC... Still contemplating though... Otherwise. I'll have to look towards others(BioShock: Infinite, Dead Space 3, and GTAV).
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Oh my god will someone PLEASE PUT THIS SERIES OUT OF ITS MISERY
Add a Comment: