Does Wii U really have potential for future of gaming

Now I'm not saying Wii U is not bad I got one but I just have a weird feeling even with the huge third party support we going to have the same problem that happened to the hardcore gamers with too much shovel-ware that turned hardcore gamers away from Nintendo "recent system" original Wii but even with the touch pad and so on does the Wii U really have potential in the future of gaming or are we going to see the downfall like what happened to SEGA?
Comments191
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think the wii u is fantastic. This debate over wether it is next gen or not is a joke,
First off the specs quoted by the hacker dude were false, its actually got 3x3mhz core, its got modern architecture and some experts are saying that the next gen playstations and xbox's wont be that much more powerful.
Theres a worldwide recession so they are going to have to try and keep costs down,

The gamepad is pure genius. My only worry would be the support from third party developers.

Haters are going to hate,
I think it depends if the Wii U gets plenty of games out whenever Sony/MS release there next hardware
What the WiiU has and the Wii does not is a more conventional controller set up, with a touch screen and possible motion controls. In one swoop it encompasses three popular modern gaming mediums. For third parties this should be a godsend; they can make any games they want, be it a fairly standard adaptation of Call of Duty or Mass Effect, or they can port old DS titles as downloadable options or even IOS games. How fantastic would downloadable ports of The World Ends With You? Combining these three elements can create truly innovative IPs and Nintendo will make full use of it themselves and studios such as Ubisoft with a innovative attitude can really make some amazing things. It is also fully geared up for the digital market; downloadable titles are becoming more popular year on year with many AAA titles appearing as downloadable on day one. Alot of lessons can be learned from services such as Steam. Nintendo have already demonstrated their competence in this market with the 3DS online store. All the right components are in place. It takes a year for a console to really fly, it will take longer to see what Microsoft and Sony have up their sleeves. But unlike the Gamecube, marketed towards family gaming, or the Wii which targetted casual audience, the WiiU has real potential. Time will tell, but I am optimistic!
As the amazing of it is, I don't think it is as innovative as the Wii was. I mean Wii's potention of actually moving is good, but having two screens has been done before. Its just feel like an improvement on two screens, not a new innovation.

Though there is alot you can do two screens I have to admit, and Zombie U is that. You can now pretend you can have an item or carrying cas in one, and a moving screen and another.
Unlikely, however; PS4 may block used games so Wii U does have more potential, just wait til the Xbox 720 comes out.

MEANWHILE, I'mma go play on a PC.
This great console, it will endure. The Wii U will survive.
What shall the Wii-U endure on? I'm not seeing any factors in favor of endurance.
To bad for U then. Cause it will endure and survive. With or without your purchase.
Yes, it has great potential!
Gaming NEED to improve and innovate.

The only thing Sony and Microsoft do with their consoles is making HD and put more memories.
Nintendo on the other hand is reinvention gaming!
The Wii changed gaming- before it, how many people who weren't 12-24 year-olds or arcade-reminiscent dads played games? Not a lot. With the Wii, everyone was playing, and it had something for pretty much everyone too. The Wii U feels more like an experiment, something Nintendo is trying to see how they handle more hardcore stuff, or because the Wii was such a good idea that you can't really do better, at least no-one has thought of a better idea yet and made it. The games that are made for it will be a deciding factor too, especially how they use the game tablet. Get a game or few that uses it perfectly and there's your diamonds :D
Save for the loading times, it seems like an alright system.
Hey, didn't you predict to me and =Psychrophyte that the Vita would outsell the 3DS last year, and get "more third-party support"?
Lag? You got a triple post.

Probably.
3DS sucks.

[link]
Oh good, some objective stuff. But let's look at sales figures, alright?

-The most recently announced lifetime sales for the Vita are from August, and placed it at 2.2 million units. For comparison, in a shorter amount of time Nintendo sold 3.6 million 3DS units, and considered the sales a failure. So they dropped the price and raised the sales to 6 million next month.

-Sony refuses to reveal worldwide sales data (I wonder why?), but we did manage to get our hands on Japanese sales data for November. In the handheld-loving country where the PSP outsold the XBox 360, the Vita was outsold by the 3DS by a margin of 47-1. That means that for every 100 units Sony sold, Nintendo sold 4,700. Adding further, the 3DS had 21 games in the top 50 sales charts; the Vita had none. I shudder to imagine how poorly the Vita is selling elsewhere.
I'm not impressed with your facts :iconsawthatplz:
Whoops, I forgot you're a fellow Politics forumer :p

Also, I suck at HTML.
I have three books for learning HTML and all three need to have multiple pages printed up for errata because the authors got shit wrong.:shakefist:
Hey, didn't you predict to me and =Psychrophyte that the Vita would outsell the 3DS last year, and get "more third-party support"?
I'm a bit sceptical, but I won't say anything for sure until I've actually tried one out.
Put it this way...the wii U at it's highest gig is 32. The PS3 when it first came out, the crap version had 40GB and it's now considered "last gen". Some people would argue that an xbox slim has next to none at it's worst (which is only because the hardrive doesn't come with it, you can still play it just fine) but at it's lowest the xbox has 60GB. Compare the xbox 360 and Ps3's capabilities to that of the wii-U. They could easily top it as "last gen" instalments. Also consider the 3DS and the DS. The DS had the capability to play 3d polygonal games on it and could opperate at least as well as a Nintendo 64 or pretty close to it. It was supposed to be "a console in the palm of your hands" but that never actually happened. Looking at Super Mario 64 DS potential had be proven and YET Nintendo only made games for it that were half assed and mostly contianed the same graphics as the gameboy advanced. Nintendo is being cheap. I don't think they'll "go away" or anything like that because they have such a fanbase and a reputation especially with yonger gamers turned off by the M-rated content on their systems. But you're out of they are out of thier minds if they think 32GB is "next gen" and they're creating games the Wii would be able to handle if they had actually given it a hardrive....yes that's right, the Wii has no hard drive...it's a flash drive. I feel like they're doing this on purpose. Could the Wii U dispite old tech be a good console and be enjoyable to play? Yes I don't doubt that you need that much to make a good credible game. Will it be revolutionary? No. Will Nintendo actually make quality games on it and actually create new and innovated gaming experiences with new characters and new game series instead of sucking the life out of the few they have left? With my last bunch of disapointments on the Wii and so far 3DS I don't think so. It's not because they couldn't. It would be because they chose not to as they continue to chose not to cater to making quality products anymore on the wii or DS. Personally I'm looking forward to the next big indie game rather than trust nintendo with anything again.