Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 190

Does Wii U really have potential for future of gaming

:icondevinshadowv:
DevinShadowV Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Now I'm not saying Wii U is not bad I got one but I just have a weird feeling even with the huge third party support we going to have the same problem that happened to the hardcore gamers with too much shovel-ware that turned hardcore gamers away from Nintendo "recent system" original Wii but even with the touch pad and so on does the Wii U really have potential in the future of gaming or are we going to see the downfall like what happened to SEGA?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I think the wii u is fantastic. This debate over wether it is next gen or not is a joke,
First off the specs quoted by the hacker dude were false, its actually got 3x3mhz core, its got modern architecture and some experts are saying that the next gen playstations and xbox's wont be that much more powerful.
Theres a worldwide recession so they are going to have to try and keep costs down,

The gamepad is pure genius. My only worry would be the support from third party developers.

Haters are going to hate,
:iconairiaen:
Airiaen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I think it depends if the Wii U gets plenty of games out whenever Sony/MS release there next hardware
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What the WiiU has and the Wii does not is a more conventional controller set up, with a touch screen and possible motion controls. In one swoop it encompasses three popular modern gaming mediums. For third parties this should be a godsend; they can make any games they want, be it a fairly standard adaptation of Call of Duty or Mass Effect, or they can port old DS titles as downloadable options or even IOS games. How fantastic would downloadable ports of The World Ends With You? Combining these three elements can create truly innovative IPs and Nintendo will make full use of it themselves and studios such as Ubisoft with a innovative attitude can really make some amazing things. It is also fully geared up for the digital market; downloadable titles are becoming more popular year on year with many AAA titles appearing as downloadable on day one. Alot of lessons can be learned from services such as Steam. Nintendo have already demonstrated their competence in this market with the 3DS online store. All the right components are in place. It takes a year for a console to really fly, it will take longer to see what Microsoft and Sony have up their sleeves. But unlike the Gamecube, marketed towards family gaming, or the Wii which targetted casual audience, the WiiU has real potential. Time will tell, but I am optimistic!
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
As the amazing of it is, I don't think it is as innovative as the Wii was. I mean Wii's potention of actually moving is good, but having two screens has been done before. Its just feel like an improvement on two screens, not a new innovation.

Though there is alot you can do two screens I have to admit, and Zombie U is that. You can now pretend you can have an item or carrying cas in one, and a moving screen and another.
:iconslutgirl08:
Slutgirl08 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Unlikely, however; PS4 may block used games so Wii U does have more potential, just wait til the Xbox 720 comes out.

MEANWHILE, I'mma go play on a PC.
:icondarkprincearmon:
DarkPrinceArmon Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This great console, it will endure. The Wii U will survive.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
On what?
DarkPrinceArmon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
On what, what?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
What shall the Wii-U endure on? I'm not seeing any factors in favor of endurance.
DarkPrinceArmon Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
To bad for U then. Cause it will endure and survive. With or without your purchase.
:iconstreled:
Streled Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   Traditional Artist
Yes, it has great potential!
Gaming NEED to improve and innovate.

The only thing Sony and Microsoft do with their consoles is making HD and put more memories.
Nintendo on the other hand is reinvention gaming!
:iconsamuelskanvis:
samuelskanvis Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Filmographer
The Wii changed gaming- before it, how many people who weren't 12-24 year-olds or arcade-reminiscent dads played games? Not a lot. With the Wii, everyone was playing, and it had something for pretty much everyone too. The Wii U feels more like an experiment, something Nintendo is trying to see how they handle more hardcore stuff, or because the Wii was such a good idea that you can't really do better, at least no-one has thought of a better idea yet and made it. The games that are made for it will be a deciding factor too, especially how they use the game tablet. Get a game or few that uses it perfectly and there's your diamonds :D
:iconuikri:
Uikri Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Save for the loading times, it seems like an alright system.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Answer: No chance
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Hey, didn't you predict to me and =Psychrophyte that the Vita would outsell the 3DS last year, and get "more third-party support"?
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Lag? You got a triple post.

Probably.
3DS sucks.

[link]
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Oh good, some objective stuff. But let's look at sales figures, alright?

-The most recently announced lifetime sales for the Vita are from August, and placed it at 2.2 million units. For comparison, in a shorter amount of time Nintendo sold 3.6 million 3DS units, and considered the sales a failure. So they dropped the price and raised the sales to 6 million next month.

-Sony refuses to reveal worldwide sales data (I wonder why?), but we did manage to get our hands on Japanese sales data for November. In the handheld-loving country where the PSP outsold the XBox 360, the Vita was outsold by the 3DS by a margin of 47-1. That means that for every 100 units Sony sold, Nintendo sold 4,700. Adding further, the 3DS had 21 games in the top 50 sales charts; the Vita had none. I shudder to imagine how poorly the Vita is selling elsewhere.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I'm not impressed with your facts :iconsawthatplz:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Whoops, I forgot you're a fellow Politics forumer :p

Also, I suck at HTML.
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I have three books for learning HTML and all three need to have multiple pages printed up for errata because the authors got shit wrong.:shakefist:
Hey, didn't you predict to me and =Psychrophyte that the Vita would outsell the 3DS last year, and get "more third-party support"?
:iconkaera-neko:
Kaera-Neko Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a bit sceptical, but I won't say anything for sure until I've actually tried one out.
:iconmitchialia:
Mitchialia Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Put it this way...the wii U at it's highest gig is 32. The PS3 when it first came out, the crap version had 40GB and it's now considered "last gen". Some people would argue that an xbox slim has next to none at it's worst (which is only because the hardrive doesn't come with it, you can still play it just fine) but at it's lowest the xbox has 60GB. Compare the xbox 360 and Ps3's capabilities to that of the wii-U. They could easily top it as "last gen" instalments. Also consider the 3DS and the DS. The DS had the capability to play 3d polygonal games on it and could opperate at least as well as a Nintendo 64 or pretty close to it. It was supposed to be "a console in the palm of your hands" but that never actually happened. Looking at Super Mario 64 DS potential had be proven and YET Nintendo only made games for it that were half assed and mostly contianed the same graphics as the gameboy advanced. Nintendo is being cheap. I don't think they'll "go away" or anything like that because they have such a fanbase and a reputation especially with yonger gamers turned off by the M-rated content on their systems. But you're out of they are out of thier minds if they think 32GB is "next gen" and they're creating games the Wii would be able to handle if they had actually given it a hardrive....yes that's right, the Wii has no hard drive...it's a flash drive. I feel like they're doing this on purpose. Could the Wii U dispite old tech be a good console and be enjoyable to play? Yes I don't doubt that you need that much to make a good credible game. Will it be revolutionary? No. Will Nintendo actually make quality games on it and actually create new and innovated gaming experiences with new characters and new game series instead of sucking the life out of the few they have left? With my last bunch of disapointments on the Wii and so far 3DS I don't think so. It's not because they couldn't. It would be because they chose not to as they continue to chose not to cater to making quality products anymore on the wii or DS. Personally I'm looking forward to the next big indie game rather than trust nintendo with anything again.
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Wow, what a mess. Let's try and make some sense of this...

Your point about the memory is a bit of an irrelevance, the Wii U supports both SD cards and 3rd party external hard drives, it's the cheapest console on the market to buy memory for. I highly doubt you'll see that on the PS4 or Nextbox.

Regarding the DS, it's sales figures speak for themselves, it was a phenomenal success.

The idea that Nintendo of all companies are purposefully choosing to make sub standard games is quite frankly, laughable.

And yes, I own a Wii U.
:iconshoppingmonk:
ShoppingMonk Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Gaming never degrade.......today the people are crazy to different types of games.it never ends
:iconsuitandarmour:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
I think if they get all the good rpgs and shooters maybe they'll be relevent and hang around. They need games like tekken street fighter final fantasy and some mmo's. They also need all the best shooters so i think thats why they are going with third party now cause they realise thats survival.
:iconkittyskittles:
Kittyskittles Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
i have no clue 0.o it isn't to bad i guess
:iconporkkish:
Porkkish Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012   Digital Artist
Considering the deal Nintendo made with Unity.... Yes, there is potential.
:iconkooborisapphire:
KooboriSapphire Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student General Artist
It has plenty of potential if it makes a set of good games & is marketed right. Then again, seeing how many fucktards out there (& here) are so overcritical & take something that is meant to entertain so seriously, it's hard to say. For me, I'm definitely looking forward to mine. I own pretty much every Nintendo system except for the very, very first one, & I will gladly add this baby to my collection.
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Filmographer
The system has great potential in terms of the hardware and honestly they have a lot of options of ways to go with the gamepad, but right now, I don't see why anyone would buy it over an Xbox or older Wii. It doesn't have a strong enough selling point to buy it while its new. Maybe in like 6 months when there's a stronger first party library it will pick up more in sales.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
The worrying thing is that there is a big 'IF" to precede the whole six months thing.
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student Filmographer
Well yeah exactly. The system clearly needs a solid Zelda, Metroid, and then Smash Bros. The Wii had a forseeable date for Smash Bros Brawl, whereas the U has none whatsoever with very little details announced about it, that might be the biggest difference. Mainstream third party games are a great addition, however the Wii did fine without them, they need to get the key first party games out there.
Something that I'm not so clear or sure if they can deliver well on the former two.
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Filmographer
Yeah its up in arms at this point we'll have to see how the q1/q2 of 2013 go
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Hopefully, Animal Crossing: New Leaf will be in the USA in Quarter 1, or I'll be very irate at NOA.
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Filmographer
Yeah hopefully, if not I'm sure by q2 because those are always at the earlier end of console releases. In regards to the Wii U succeeding or not though, I don't think Animal Crossing is near enough of a draw for most people, or one of the games that's gonna help sell units.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Animal Crossing is coming out for the 3DS. :B
(1 Reply)
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Yes if it is done right. Innovation doesn't occur with new products, but with the creativity of the programmer. If the programmer cannot find anything worth programming, it will be useless. Or the programmer is just extremely lazy.
In terms of the latter, I think Pokemon is a prime example of lazy programming/design. They could make it into so much more and give us features we wanted like multiple regions and trainer customization, but no. The Pokemon Company seems content on popping out a new batch of the wretched things.
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Still nice to be hopeful. :D

The fact that even to this day Pokemon Stadium still has fairly good graphics tells me they're doing it on purpose unfortunately. Hopefully with the massive territories made they'll create a MMO.
I can't help but be skeptical with the release of the first direct sequel.
:iconferaldonkey:
feraldonkey Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It can, don't get me wrong I love the WiiU but we are going to have an influx of better games next year for the PS4 and XBOX 720. I still love Nintendo and I will use my WiiU depending on what games we get.
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
We'll probably get an announcement confirming the existence of the next MS and Sony consoles, but I doubt we'll see much in the way of games.
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You'll just have to look at the PS3 and XBox to see why a big, fat YES is the answer.
Nintendo is going somewhere with the WiiU, somewhere where PC-Gaming can't go.
The PS and XBox on the other Hand...
Hardware-wise they'll be never able to catch up with PC, all this social media faffing about they try to push is 1) aviable on a far more user-friendly plattform (PC) or 2) will be swiftly replaced by the Smart-TV's (honestly, why should I pay for Xbox-Live just for facebook, youtube, netlflix and twitter when my TV can do that by itself for free <.<).
Controllers are also not exactly a great deal, yes some games work better with them but as many don't, and still, the simple lack of flexibility and buttons forces the devs to squeeze the games an awfull lot together, to a point where it gets rather uncomfortable on both sides...
And consoles don't even have the 'pick up and play' factor on their advantage anymore. PC and Consoles alike: Verification, Installation, Registration, Updates, Patch-Downloads, all the same on both...
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Where is the Wii-U going that PC gaming allegedly cannot go?
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
combining motion control, touchpad and gamecontroller in one, bringing the game back in your hand rather than just the screen. It's actually trying to be games-console with opportunities for the devs to give the player something they can have only with their WiiU, rather than a shitty pc with bad 3rd-party support and pointless social/web-stuff, like the PS and XBOX
Except Sega Nomad, what are they giving to the player other than slightly better specs than the previous generation and an oversized 3DS snapped in two, and those social features are what helped sell the systems until people moved on from them, just as Nintendo should have.
:iconyumyum36:
yumyum36 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes, I believe so. Even if you give the ability to a game developer to use super advanced hardware, it just becomes more expensive to create games to put on said system.

Sure, there's the amazing expanses of Battlefield on PC, or how Metro 2033 graphics are better on PC, but with a console you are certain that everyone has required specs, and seriously do you need 16 cores for a mario game.

The Wii U's games will most likely be cheap, with the occaisional controller innovation. The wii had a great selection of games, as it is getting now. If we remember with the Wii everyone thought Nintendo would fail. It's the best-selling console of all time.

I have no doubts the Wii U will be amazing, just trust me.

Also, if it interests you, Gabe Newell said he liked the Wii U. ;)
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Gabe Newell is also a bit of a fan of non-traditional games and equipment. Heck, Valve released a controller for Steam that is meant to be used with PC gaming (despite that plenty of people use the Xbox 360 controller for Windows and it works with Steam Big Picture.) Though it is a bit surprising since he apparently isn't overly fond of consoles (though he has never worked with Nintendo.)
Add a Comment: