Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 86

Oversexualized video games

:iconmikethelgnd:
MikeTheLGND Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
So I read this article about the one-sided problem of oversexualization in video games (link below) and I kind of agree with it. Women in video games are normally sexual but only because thats how people view them, no one feels like superman or the flash arent sexual even though they have bulging muscles and their packages sticking out. If some of these girls were real plenty of men would be foaming out of the mouth for a chance to just get to know them but no one thinks about what would happen to women if a man with a steel six pack could appear to save them any second. Its not just girls with skimpy outfits and big jugs in video games/comics but there is also guys with in-human sized biceps and abs.
I understand that not every girls is attracted to the most perfect male body they've ever seen but not every guys is attracted to a girl wearing a thong for a full body bathing suit (both of those comments seem kinda wrong lol)
So tell me how you feel about this topic and lets have a convo :)

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

MikeTheLGND Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
A game with a great lead character and no overly sexual characters in sight is far cry 3, just picked it up and didnt stop playing it until 2:00am last night, truly amazing
:iconzazill:
Zazill Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Jill Valentine, Tifa Lockheart, Lara Croft, Female Sheppard, Asuka Kazama and Female Mercs in Lost planet. These are the characters from the top of my head I have liked playing the most. And they all have one thing in common, they have a form of strength that seems they really worked hard for to obtain, in other words, right off the bat I'm attracted (not in a weird way)to playing if possible the character that seemed like she needed to work hard to get where she is, not because she has tits the size of astroids. Asuka in particular I always use against my friends in two player, I find her the most fun anyway to play with, her and Roger Jr. Varsity re-affirmed one conclusion I've already had about over-sexualization in any medium, and that is when you resort to such measures, you essentially have no confidence in you're audience, granted I've had that problem as well, fortunately for me though my audience isn't large.
Incidentally, the only title from this year I have is prototype 2, but the game gives me headaches, so I don't play it anymore.
On the other hand I feel that all these bulky male leads is akin to fulfill some gay fetish(nothing against gays, but I don't know what you call straight guys who like the look of straight burly men), I for one don't want to look like some steroids overdosing muscle builder, and neither does any of my friends look like that. On a side not one of my teachers said that men play tough physical sports to get in touch with their feminine side.
:iconayior:
Ayior Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I have to admit, I am pretty feminist when it comes to myself, but I also like beautiful women in games.
I just hate when they have ridiculous big breasts for no reason. This makes to sense.
Sure, the men have their big muscles to be stronger (if there was this logic to it) but there is simply NO REASON for such enormous breasts O.o
What I read in the comments below the article is true, women seem to rather go for the "inner beauty" more than men and I also have to say that though not being a lesbian or not even bi, I find women bodies far more appealing than men ones.... just saying... My main opinion in this is in the middle of the post ^
MikeTheLGND Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
like Natsu in soul calibur 5, and orihime in bleach (not a game but still lol), enormous boobs for no reason except for them to be there
Ayior Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
yes :I
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Dec 9, 2012  Student Filmographer
Well, for one that doesn't apply to video-games alone, to different extents it's present in many forms of entertainment, and even real life... You always hear about sexual harasment of women, but I know a few guys who model for a living and they get their junk or ass grabbed all the time, and they hate it... sooo, I find it hard to believe that having an attractive male protagonist is purely coincidental - a good-looking guy is no less of an eye-candy, as shallow as it sounds... However, there are still developers and people who put effort into character design, focusing on things other than sex...

Having said that, lets not dwell too much on this - once in a while I still like my fantasy of a big ripped hunk saving poor lil me, carrying me to his safe place and holding me through the nigh :D
:iconloki-odin:
Wrong title, dude :/

Anyway, the follow up to the article you posted explains what i had to say in the matter.
[link]
:iconangelsinspiration:
AngelsInspiration Dec 5, 2012   General Artist
Bayonetta. I don't usually care about the whole "objectifying women" trip but there's no way I'd go out and buy the game.
Ayior Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I think bayonetta was actually humorist on this - I just laughed all the time during the game for it being so over the top XD
:iconangelsinspiration:
AngelsInspiration Dec 9, 2012   General Artist
Fair enough :greetings:
Add a Comment: