Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 49

Halo 4, who thinks the Librarian sort of ruined John 117?

:icondraconicparagon:
DraconicParagon Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Now hear me out, this doesn't mean I don't like Halo anymore, I was just a little disappointed when John meets the Librarian in the campaign and in the cut scene she explains his ability to succeed as some magic thing he has received in his genetics or something. I didn't like that plot explanation because it felt like they were turning John from Batman type into Superman.

Why do they always have to do that?

Oh, the Force is for EVERYONE, it is all around us, if you train hard enough and hone your skills you can master the Force and you can be an EXCELLENT JEDI! BUUUUUUT NOOOOOOOO, look at Anakin, he has a ton of midiclorins in his blood, so he will automatically be an awesome jedi.

John doesn't have to be a "culmination of thousands of years of evolution" or whatever it was the librarian said he was, why can't John just be awesome because he tries hard?

He was trained and taught the tactics of UNSC military via the Spartan program, and was augmented with the best Humans could do, but it is INDEED because he tries his BEST that he succeeds at what he does. He does it to protect humanity, and he does it because he loves Cortana. I was just disappointed that they explained all that effort away with "he is able to do it because of special thing X"

just throwing my thinking out there...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbullet-magnet:
It wasn't John specifically, it was that someone like John would emerge. The alterations she made are in everyone, though they show themselves in different ways (if at all) and often need to be turned on. Such as the memories of pre-devolution humans from the war that were put into humanity by the Librarian, so that personalities from that time can be awakened and recovered.
DraconicParagon Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I guess, but, I dunno, it was the same way with squibs in Harry Potter. I just think, J.K. Rowling, you bothered to make an awesome universe with magic and whatnot, and then you create a rule where a few just simply cannot use magic, no matter how hard they try? That's sucky if you ask me. I wouldn't want to be a squib in the Harry Potter world. I dunno.
Makes sense for there to be magical disabilities.
true, but even those with disabilities can succeed in our world, Bethany Hamilton anyone? just off the top of my head, there are many stories about those with disabilities who succeed at amazing things, that one guy who can play the guitar with his feet cause he has no arms... dunno, just thinking aloud.
Sure. But another theme of the Harry Potter books is a really fucked up political system that rewards privilege based on genealogy.
Isn't that the bad guys system? ...
It's also the system (outside of Hogwarts) that existed before Voldemort's defeat. The system that let known Death Eaters reach the highest echelons of society, that Let Lucius Malfoy keep the Minister for Magic at his beck and call.
True, true.
(1 Reply)
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's just as easy to ignore it. :I
Yay to ignoring it! :D
Add a Comment: