Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 66

Nintendo announces the Wii mini for bigger price than OUYA, but gives it no online features.

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
And a single skeptic thinks its simply the Wii killer, like the Gameboy Micro was made to kill off the Gameboy line.

But enough opinion from me, what do you think of the Wii Mini?

An utter triumph in pointlessness that only Reggie could come up with, or do you think there is actually a market for this thing?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcederbom:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Would've gotten it if I wasn't planning on getting a wii u eventually. My wii games are currently homeless after I moved out and left the wii with my brother. :( :lol:

Dammit, now I wanna play Okami.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Can't you play Okami on the PS2?
I don't own Okami on the ps2. Or a ps2 for that matter. :P
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Yeah but they'd both be cheap buys.
Eh, it's not worth the space wasted or dust they would gather afterwards. Better move on to downloading or HD version later.

Besides, it's one of the games where I actually thought the motion controls were a good idea. Sure, they were flawed, but still fun
and didn't break the pace as much as it did on the ps2.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Can't we move on from the fucking motion controls now? Please?
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Only if you want to move on to something even worse.
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
First, they get rid of GameCube compatibility, and now they get rid of Internet capabilities?!? I'm willing to bet that given the sheer number of Wii systems sold up to now, this one will be a commercial failure in no time! Even the Wii U will be likely to outsell this unnecessary piece of hardware!
:iconvicsor-s3:
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Of course the Wii U is going to outsell this one. This is just a model they quickly put out to extend the Wii's life slightly.
And to nobody, the surprise would be?
:icontoxicisland:
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
So do you think Nintendo is going uphill or downhill?
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Uphill with their newer systems, but from the looks of it, downhill with the original Wii, because they just came out with a Canada-only redesign that could potentially be the next Virtual Boy: a system nobody wanted, that went absolutely nowhere.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I'll be honest, I don't use the internet on my Wii anyway, so if I didn't have the console, I'd probably get one :shrug: But considering the WiiU's already here, I don't really see the point in releasing a new version of the Wii, but then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They haven't exactly been on their A game for the past few years.
Since the Wii tanked after all the third parties left it, I fear for the Wii-U, since its only a single step above the current generation. I don't mind innovation, but I really think Nintendo could have given themselves a technological edge instead of using decade old tech.
:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hardly a wii killer. For an extra $30 you can get the original Wii which has Gamecube compatibility and internet capabilities. And it looks way nicer, IMO. Hell, you can probably get a full Wii with a bunch of games for less than what this new thing costs.

Wouldn't the Wii killer be the next-gen Wii U? This is hardly more than a cashgrab from Nintendo to put a bunch of relatively cheap and relevant game consoles under the trees this holiday season. Imagine the faces of kids everywhere when they ask for the new wii and get this thing.

Also: Canada only.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
No, what I'm saying is that its 'poor performance' will help in getting rid of the Wii, like the Gameboy Micro.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think Nintendo really has a clue anymore. Where did they suddenly get the idea Canada doesn't have internet?
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Canada has electricity? When did this happen?
I think it happened in 1958 around abouts. After the novelty of non-canadians saying "eh" wore off.
I think its more like Nintendo is treating Canada like a test market, instead of trying it out in a small state. You have to wonder how many angry parents and kids there will be this Holiday.
Question is why should they? Canada is no different a market from any other. I'm sure they're selling WiiU's there so why bother making a cut price version of a six year old system for a single market?
I could think of several reasons, but they'd all reek of a lack of ethics or simply be niche, since everyone who has a Wii likely already has one, and it wouldn't be too expensive to get a family edition, refurbished, or used!
:iconwigglewaddle:
WiggleWaddle Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
So it's just a Wii with no backwards compatibility or online? Why not just, you know, buy a Wii?
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Especially since, you know, it's a six year old system.
The only vaguely relevant reason I've heard is for small kids who don't need to be online or holding a Wiimote, or old people who don't care about all the classics on Netflix.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
"Wii Mini". WII...MINI...no, it's too easy. It's too goddamn easy.

I'd say "insert obvious Japanese Joke here", but with a wii that mini, I don't think anyone is doing any insertion any time soon.
I understand that Japan really doesn't have much land to work with, but I don't think a full console should be small enough to stuff in your pants.
:iconzyl5:
ZYL5 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Seems largely pointless since the basic Wii is only 50$ more, and you get soo much more out of it to boot.

Will probably flop like the GBA micro: Far too niche.
I mean the SP was the superior model anyway as it was still backwards compatible and was cool looking!
:iconzyl5:
ZYL5 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, the SP was far superior to even the original GBA model, even today I still enjoy playing my Famicon/NES modeled SP. The only thing the SP came up short was the fact that it does not have a 3.3mm headphone jack like 99% of other gaming handhelds. Otherwise, it's THE example on how to properly redesign a game system.
:iconprofessormegaman:
ProfessorMegaman Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Awesome! A contemporary game console that's all about the games and nothing else! And I thought that notion was dead!

But why not? Nintendo of America has neglected the Hell out of the Wii's virtual console. And since Wii U's are in short supply, offer a cheap, but similar, substitution. Does mommy know the difference between a Wii and a Wii U? Probably not. But she knows the difference between $100 at a Canadian game store and $500 on Amazon.com.

If Microsoft can release 1001 different 360's why can't Nintendo have ONE variation that's cut back to save the uptight consumer a few bucks during the holidays?
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
If Microsoft can release 1001 different 360's why can't Nintendo have ONE variation that's cut back to save the uptight consumer a few bucks during the holidays?
Because they're Nintendo, and the OP hates Nintendo.
You'd be a bit off. As a corporate entity, I've begun to loathe Nintendo's decisions. As a developer, its rather hit or miss. But otherwise, I'm tolerant of them.
:iconawesomeblossompossum:
AwesomeBlossomPossum Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't believe OP hates Nintendo at all.
Because they already had one and the X-Boxes actually improve on the system.
ProfessorMegaman Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well there's no doubt that many versions of the Xbox 360 had room for improvement, what with the lack of memory, that pesky "Red Ring of Death", no built-in Wi-Fi... As time went on and sales started slipping, they really just took some of the things they forced you to buy separately and included them with the console, which is what they should have done from Day One, but what can you expect from Microsoft?

Besides, didn't the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB console come out two months after the Slim 250GB? They probably could have made an online-free Xbox, but it would negate the purpose of even owning the system in the first place.
I wouldn't know, I never messed with the system.
I pray you didn't get suckered in by the PS3.

Rather than killing the Wii, the Mini looks like one last ditch effort to squeeze some holiday revenue out of the system. Because it looks to me like they've been killing the Wii for over a year and a half, that's how long it's been since they released games that I considered "must-haves".

Maybe the third-party developers won't miss the boat with the Wii U and it won't leave a legacy of motion-gimmicks and half-assed party games like it's predecessor. Though I dread a legacy of ports of half-assed PS3/360 titles even more.
Well, considering that the Wii-U is only just as powerful as both systems but only with more gimmick, I have to err to skepticism. Also, I'm not seeing Virtual Console for the Wii-U at the moment; one of the few reasons I'd invest into the eShop, seeing as I find WiiWare to be of questionable value, DSiWare to be garbage, and 3DSware to be a strange pivot between actual quality and shovelware.
If only they saw the unlimited potential in releasing classic games as DLC and all the piles of money they bring. Well... I guess it's better to have nothing than stuff we already have on the Wii U, except we're being encouraged to buy $60 games we already have on PS3/360 instead of $5 games we already have on the NES...

Aww, it's too depressing. Video games are finished. FOR THE THIRD TIME!(*Curls up with Double Dragon Neon and waits for game consoles to die out in favor of mobile*)
Actually, I'd wait for consoles to die out in favor of PC.
(1 Reply)
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As long as it plays Mario Galaxy, it's fine by me.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I guess if you want to play Wii games for cheap and don't care about the online, it's a good system; I actually know a few people who would fall into that category, and I myself would if I didn't already own a normal Wii and Wii U. But that's what confuses me: why release it now, when nearly all of the people who would buy it already own a Wii or are getting the Wii U? I guess that Nintendo knows more about running a business than I do.
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Remember when people bitched at Nintendo for dropping the GameCube the minute the Wii came out? Well now they are bitching because they AREN'T dropping the Wii when the Wii U comes out. :lol:
Actually, I feel that since Nintendo of Japan is being run by a programmer and not a businessman, I feel that he may NOT actually know better.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I dunno. You don't get to be a CEO for nothing, and given that his track record consists almost entirely of increasing profits (except for that hiccup after the 3DS) and has been named one of the world's top CEOs, I'm going to assume that he knows what he's doing.
Sure, but I feel he'd be much more comfortable behind the curtain.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Yeah, the Wii mini for a dollar more than the Ouya. :lol:

It doesn't have backwards compatibility for Gamecube games, so I'm automatically out. I think it's just a pointless money-grab and another way to confuse customers this holiday season, since a lot of parents will be clueless to the 4 different Wiis (including the Wii U), especially with the bundles. Nintendo is definitely going to go under next gen. :bucktooth:
The founder of old Atari and Peter from Bullfrog may be right after all.
Vicsor-S3 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It seems like a nice way to bring along a Wii to parties. Also the design looks 80's to me which is awesome.

The lack of online features is rather disturbing though. The only way I see that working is if they make it possible to easily swap save files between a normal Wii and this one.
Add a Comment: