Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

Soo.. about MMORPG's..

:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm a huge gamer junkie, I'll be honest. I moved into my dorm in August and couldn't take my ps2 with me. :cry: So, I use my old school gameboy and pc! Woot! I quit WoW becuase of the money circumstances and started on Aion, which isn't half bad..
Does anyone else play Aion?
Or have other mmo's that they think are le shit? :meow:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Not many I know that are le shit, but I know plenty that are shit like fucking La Tale, Elsword, and Grand Chase. The only ones I play are Dragon Nest and...that's it. I play anything P2P.
Elyssea Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Dragon Nest? Never heard of it..
3rd person dungeon crawling RPG that actually doesn't get as stale as every other eastern MMORPG.
O.O
I should check that outtt!
Use the archer...she rocks my socks.
If I do it, I definitely will. :)
:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
The new Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Rebourne is coming out next year and that should be pretty good. They've fixed it up alot from what i've heard.
Elyssea Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
NO WAY?!
I didn't know they were gonna make an Final Fantasy MMO?! :O
:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
XI was also, and now XIV. Thats the only two.
THAT IS SO BAD ASS. :love:
:iconporkkish:
Porkkish Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Digital Artist
But note that you will have to pay monthly fee in FF XIV (around $13-15) :/
Oohh...
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
I love Latale and Trickster online, they're both 2D and very pretty. :D
I like pretty games! :happybounce:
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The only decent free MMO I've played in recent memory is Star Trek Online.
Unlike Star Wars: The Old Republic, it isn't "Pay to Win".
Ohhhh, I did't know they had those.:3
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Star Trek one was a lot of fun, but I hit the level cap way too fast. I had the flag ship, a rank of Vice Admiral, and the new episode missions were just trickling in way to slowly to keep me interested.
Ooohh.. boo :O
:icongodesscall:
Godesscall Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Runescape

Sometimes I stop playing because the level-up system is slow and boring, but I will start playing it again when they release new quests or events.
Is it really that great?:O Everyone talks pretty big.
:icongodesscall:
Godesscall Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I thought the game was underrated, since I haven't seen or heard any people talking about it. Besides, I don't think it's the "best game ever", it's just a fun game to play when you're bored
Shit, bored games are good games. :meow:
:iconmabusthedark:
MabusTheDark Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't play MMOs anymore, they're pure evil. Runescape let me down hard after EIGHT years, and I'm glad I haven't went back. Now I plug away at Minecraft, Terraria, and various old games via emulators. I also try to write and draw too. :mwahaha:
:D:D:D:D Minecraft!<3
:iconmabusthedark:
MabusTheDark Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Mmm, yes. A rather entertaining game.
:iconmechakraken:
MechaKraken Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't play MMO's anymore, since I'm a recovering gamer. At my worst, I spent about 20 hours a day, non-stop, playing MMOs like Guildwars, Priston Tale, Ragnarok, Maple Story, Ultima, Runescape, and Everquest. Needless to say, during those dark days I had no social life of any kind, lived in a filthy room, no job, no respect for myself, no prospects or dreams. I finally realized that in the end, all that time I spent is meaningless, because I no longer have any of those characters, accounts, or things to show for the time. Other people have fond memories of going out, dating, spending time with friends, learning a skill, etc. Meanwhile I know how to get a +9 titan bow on Priston Tale, or have a completed 100% HOM to import into Guildwars 2.

I realized that MMO's are really a waste of time, especially when the grind begins. Those games are designed to keep people playing if you think about it, by having never-ending quests, obscene material requirements for creating anything good, and time limits on how long something will be useful, like epic gear or cash shop clothes. These days, I try to forget the time I spent and focus on attempting to become an artist, something I can do with my life. And something that I can show people with all the time I spent on it.
Dear.. I understand where you're coming from but I can handle it. I'm a full time student, I have a job, I still fit in volunteering, I go out more than I should ;), and I have a shitty fucking roommate. Sometimes arts not the best way to vent my anger and brutally killing things is.
I'm sorry you went through that but I can handle myself. :love:
Thank you! :hug:
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Guild Wars 2
Test Drive Unlimited 2 (MMORacer)

As well as on rare occasions...
Perfect World International
Rusty Hearts
DC Universe (which is actually good)
Need for Speed: World (another MMORacer)
DC has an mmo?:O
:iconcup-of-javo:
Cup-of-Javo Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Seconding Guild Wars. :la: I used to play Guild Wars 1, and it seriously was the only MMO I played that wasn't a total grindfest and had an awesome storyline and mythos, etc.. I haven't played the second one yet, but they say if you liked WoW, then you'll like this game. Plus it's free! You only need to pay for the box! :3
I loved WoW, so I'll definitely look into it. I trust the people of dA. ;P
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I currently play GW2. It is really great in that it has 80 levels but you can get about 4-6 levels a day if you're a casual laid back person like me. Hardcore people make it to 80 on a character in 4-5 days, there's no massive grindfest but there's still heart quests that make it feel a bit grindy. At least it's not "go kill xxx mobs then get exp".
:iconcup-of-javo:
Cup-of-Javo Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
If I played GW1 but hated the grindiness of the later games like Eye of the North and somewhat Nightfall, will I like GW2? :saddummy:

I've heard so many complaints that GW2 is worst in terms of gear and grind; I don't know if I want to spend 40-60 bucks on it.
It really depends on what kind of person you are I think. If we look at GW2 and compare it to other traditional MMOs like WoW or most MMOs developed from asia - calling GW2 a grindfest would be laughable.

The best thing about only having to pay for the box is that you're not forced to play it. If you get tired of it you can always come back to it later and pick up where you left off - and since there's no retarded increase of exp to level (after level 20 it takes about 1.5 hours to gain a level up to 80) you're not really being left behind by hardcore friends. Also higher level players can come back to lower level zones and get temporarily de-leveled in that zone to play with their friends.

I think if you're the type to make one character only and use it forever as a main you'd do really well. But making alts can be a bit of a snore especially when you've already visited all the zones already (if you make alts it's highly recommended to not do the map completion achievement.) The gear in Gw2 is a bit weird, it's all about collection the best looking sets via karma (a soulbound currency) or tokens you get from completing dungeons. So naturally the best looking sets are the most expensive ones - there's no focus on which has what stats.

You basically level up via doing heart quests and dynamic events. Heart quests act as pit stops between events in a way, but they get you to do a lot of unique and obscure sometimes-fun, sometimes-boring tasks. Like a heart in the Norn starter area gets you to pick up raven eggs on the ground and put them back in the raven roosts. Since those quests are stationary having to re-do them on alts gets a bit old. Dynamic events can feel the same way sometimes since they have cycles and the same ones will eventually recur. You can also level up to 80 purely via crafting however it's obviously resource heavy and by consequence expensive. Then there's World vs World (3 servers fighting) which is another means of levelling but not as reliable or consistent in experience gain as pve.

I'd still say give it a try, they've reinvented and improved on a lot of the issues with older mmo models but at the same time it's by no means perfect.
Oohhhh, I love lots of levels. Do they have dungeons and raids?:O Do they need healers?!
Yup, they have plenty of dungeons though you don't get invited (you open them via your personal story line) to your first one until level 30 and unless you're in a guild you won't have much luck getting in to any unless you're level 80. Good news is that getting to level 80 isn't hard at all and each level after about 20 takes 1.5 hours to gain.

There's no such thing as dedicated healers/ tanks or damage dealers though in GW2. The closest thing to a healer would be a Guardian who's skills are heavily designed around supporting other classes - but unless your team mates are dodging + using their own survival skills it won't matter how much a guardian will heal them or give them a regeneration buff - they'll still die. The game play has some pseudo FPS elements in that to stay alive you can't just sit in front of a boss and take a beating as long as someone heals you. Heal skills have long cooldowns and thus you're expected to utilizing dodging and a myriad of tricks, traps and conditions at your disposal to negate damage and kill difficult enemies.

So you can expect to see teams of all kinds of classes going into dungeons. You can however still spec yourself out to have higher toughness (damage resistance) and vitality - or you could trait into Power and Precision for heavy damage. These help a lot but at the same time those traits alone aren't going to keep you alive if you're going to stand in one spot and whack away. ;P
OOhhhh,.. this seems.. intense! :blush:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hahaha. It's definitely more involved than the average MMO but you learn it all as you go. ;P
That's cool! :D
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ragnarok Online. The. Best. Game. Ever. Or you can try LoL. :lol:
Ragnarok?
And I've played LoL:)
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ragnarok Online. Quite an old game, but worth it. ;)[link]
It looks fun! :O
:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   General Artist
There are a few decent free-to-play games on Steam, but if you can shell out a little money to buy the game itself, Guild Wars 2 is a great game with no monthly fee. Better than any of the free games I've played thus far.
Ohhh! I'll look into that! :la:
:iconrussell-lecroy:
Russell-LeCroy Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
SWTOR (Star Wars The Old Republic)
In my opinion is the best out there right now. It just went free to play also. :)
NO WAY!!!?!
I wanted to play that and now nothing will stop me. :meow:
Russell-LeCroy Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'm sure you'll love it. :aww: The story for each class is fantastic to say the least and space battles are really cool too.
:D:D:D:DD
JIZZ.
The End.
Russell-LeCroy Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
lol! :happybounce:
Add a Comment: