Things that need to change in RPG games

1: No more Random battles.
Seriously it's 2012, get with the times.
Battle System in FF 12 was awesome, story kind of sucked, and gambits were awesome. maybe an auto learn gambit system?

2: No more Separate "areas" for battles to take place.
Star Ocean TLH has this and it's annoying seeing the battle swirl / fade every time for a battle

3: If I change my armor or weapon I expect it to reflect in the game.

4: Give me some actual "choices" that affect the story.

5: "new Game plus" should be mandatory for all RPGs

6: Maps that you can't move around.
Star Ocean TLH had this and I didn't realize how much it made me mad that I couldn't move it.

7: The ability to set way-points.
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword had this and it was Awesome-amzing-genius.
I also wouldn't mind if it was like Fable's golden trail thing.

8: Not being able to get a treasure chest because I have to many.
I really applaud Star Ocean TLH in this regard because it didn't waste items by giving me items i was already maxed out on. This was helpful at the beginning but later on it became annoying.
Maybe have an option to just get whatever is in the treasure chest and ignore the values?

9: "Treasure sense" Every RPG should have this. Thank you Star Ocean TLH from having me obsess over every inch of real estate.

10: Special locked treasure boxes not recorded. So many I forgot about, it'd be nice if the hero made a note of it. I know I would if I was the hero.

11: Confusing and small icons.
Icons should be large (20X20) and tell me exactly what's in them.
*Stares menacingly at Star Ocean TLH*
Sword = Weapons
Shield = Armor
Potion = Items
Drum stick = Food store
Book = Book store
Bed = INN

RPG's feel like barren fields and hallways, I want to see packs of enemies roaming together... more of what FF13 was doing on the Steppe and more options for transportation I'm tired of walking EVERYWHERE.

Do you have any other ideas for RPG's?
Comments116
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Besides the whole lot of samey JRPGs that I'd never stick my head in, I actually don't know any RPG that does those things. One or two at a pinch, but mostly coherent to your wishes.
Maybe you should look on the more western-side of RPGs.
I could list and describe a few examples if you want...
nah, i've already got some.
Personally, I thought the battle system in FF12 was an absolute joke. And random battles are completely fine. Quit whining when you encounter too many and be thankful for the extra EXP that'll help you against the next boss.

That being said, while I do enjoy the classic Dragon Warrior/Classic Final Fantasy turn based RPGs, I think some more action RPGs like Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur would be nice. (The class system in KoA was also amazing)

And yeah. Star Ocean TLH was a god-awful game.
This seems like a thread about star ocean, which i don't think that many ppl play and I don't know what have your complaints are even about
too much random encounters that too same gameplay too
I want random battles back in my jrpgs and a roundbased gameplay, but more advanced, with more tactical elements
I kind of don't want random battles, but instead maybe ambush or sneak attacks? Like they hide behind bushes, jump down from above, jump from a trench... etc. It wouldn't be random but it'd add some excitement.

"roundbased gameplay?"
yeah well like the old atb system of FF
I don't think we'll ever see it again.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it will be back after the whole fast battle hype has flaten down and the developpers realize that no one really liked the new way of (j)rpg
Here's my list

- Less dialogue, especially in the beginning. I'm playing a GBA Rom of Summon Knights 2. And it actually took over an hour of "gameplay" (including two very short scripted battle sequences) before I was able to roam free and fight monsters. There's the golden rule of entertainment where if you don't capture your audience within the first 15 minutes, you've lost them. Final Fantasy VII got it right. Barely 2 minutes after starting a new game and not a word of exposition, and you're set into battle exploring a reactor on a mission to blow it up.

- Full control of characters in battles. I know you said that you like the FF12 battle engine, but I hated it. The way that I see it, any game that takes interactivity away from the player has failed in design. And the idea that you can set every character up with combat AI just meant that when I got into a battle while grinding, I could actually put the controller down and go do something else until I've won. Now, I know that this is done to make the battles more realistic as opposed to old-school RPG battles where everyone forms in ranks and takes turns. But look at the battle system of the Grandia series where they take turn-based combat where you do have full control over every character's actions, and it looks like a right proper brawl.
yeah, opening sequences should be skippable if you have at least one save past that point.

OOOH i'll have to play this Grandia series. that sounds awesome
The Grandia series is a heavy in the JRPG cliches when it comes to story. But the battle engine is where it shines. fortunately, It's like the Final Fantasy series in that there is no continuing storyline, so you can pick up the series wherever. I'm not really talking about long opening sequences that should be skippable. I'm talking more like games where it has you run around and just talking to characters for a long ass time before it eventually lets you roam free and fight monsters. A big offender in my opinion is Kindgom Hearts 2. A game that expects you to follow along with the convoluted story line including what happened in the GBA card battle game, yet somehow assumes that you've never held a controller before in your life. So, it spends the first 3 hours or so holding your hand as you do boring fetch quests, non-threatening baby combat, and just talk to character before it eventually just lets you play the game.
Freakin more intelligent AI. Seriously, don't use an attack if you already used it and proved it wasn't effective in the first place. You're making the game easy for us.
for ally or enemy AI?
yeah, I hate it when one of my allies use an ice spell and it HEALS them and then continues to use it.

for enemy AI that sounds kind of scary. I APPROVE!
Oh and I am sick of all the typical nerdy twinky settings. Stop using those.
But what if I want to look at the map? Like what if I want to zoom in on something?
"twinky settings" example please?
Like having effeminate boys as the main characters.
Or having the aristocratic man with the long hair being the obvious villain who's entire motivation boils down to "the world is full of suffering, the only way to end suffering is to destroy the world".
-Get away from the "Fantasy" setting.

You don't have to be all stereotypical science-fiction or Ye Olde British Isles. How about something like an Urban Fantasy? Or maybe something set in an African looking area? How about Dieselpunk? How about something set 20 minutes in the future like in Moxyland? How about something more globalized, too? What about ripping off Skies of Arcadia and setting it in some kind of weird Jules Verne like world?

-Quit just carbon-copying Dungeons and Dragons or d20.

Seriously guys, that's getting old. At least you've been making your own systems for awhile where I can't import a party from one game into another and still work. Also, don't go "Because your skill in swords is too low, you can't hit something that is four cm away from your face." If I'm missing something that's right in my face, then I expect it to be because I'm blind - not because I'm that bad with something. Seriously, pick up some weapon you're not familiar with in real life and try swinging it at something htat's two feet away from your face. -_-; IT does not work that way. It didn't make sense in d&D, and it doesn't make any sense now, especially if you're trying to be realistic.

-Don't overcomplicate things just to make it more complex. There comes a part where it just starts to become tedious. If I'm having to slog through four menus just to equip a weapon or have to take out the manual just to find out how to drop things, then it doesn't really start being a game, does it? It just starts to be annoying.

-Actually fucking tell us where we're supposed to go.

It's just fine and dandy if you're telling us to talk to all the people...but if the only person who knows where this location is happens to be that old man huddled in a corner, then that's just inviting us to go to GameFAQs. If you're putting in something like a quest marker? Allow us to shut it off just so those self-proclaimed "Thinkers" can act like they're feeling smart by "Figuring it out yourself". If you want us to figure something out ourselves, then provide us with the necessary information. Don't just expect us to flat out divine where something is supposed to be because the directions you get is incredibly vague.

-RPG players: Sorry, if you want to tell a story, you're gonna have to be linear.

Sorry guys, but if you notice a lot of games that give you the illusion of non-linearity, when you get down to the plot, it's actually pretty darn linear. Reason? Because that's how storytelling works. When you read a book, you don't just go to whatever page you want and start reading. Know why? Because it wouldn't make sense. In fact there is a reason a lot of games don't have the plot progress until you yourself trigger an event flag - because if you just hop into the plot whenever, it'll just not make any bit of sense when you do and they're talking about stuff that happened when you weren't around.
There's a reason they're handing the plot and the challenge right to you instead of just letting you find it out yourselves: Because you'll inevitably just skip it or go "tl;dr, what're they talking about?"

-Give me a reason why I can't just walk to the end if it's right in front of us.

Why am I being forced to take the scenic route? Why do I have to do a bunch of errands for someone before he'll let me in this zone? When I enter some zone and are told "oh hey great, it happens to be here but you have to go through this dungeon before you can accomplish what you can here to do", it starts to get annoying. Is there a reason we can't just waltz right in, apart from "Well, then you'd have a 10 hour game"? Explain why there is no ships going to the continent where I have to go, not just "oh sorry there are no ships there".

-Try and give alternate ways to accomplish a particular goal. And make them as equally rewarding.

So give me a reason for engaging in corporate espionage when I can get more experience by just shooting everything that moves. Give me a reason for taking this path if the only reward is gear that I'll never ever use since I am a warrior. Give me a reason for completing a puzzle if I can get more experience by just blowing it up.

-Cut back on the arbitrary plot barriers.

Why aren't you here waiting for me at the castle? Oh! Because I didn't speak to everyone in the village first. Seriously, stuff like this is just annoying. -_-;