November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 115

Things that need to change in RPG games

:iconlightdemoncodeh:
LightDemonCodeH Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
1: No more Random battles.
Seriously it's 2012, get with the times.
Battle System in FF 12 was awesome, story kind of sucked, and gambits were awesome. maybe an auto learn gambit system?

2: No more Separate "areas" for battles to take place.
Star Ocean TLH has this and it's annoying seeing the battle swirl / fade every time for a battle

3: If I change my armor or weapon I expect it to reflect in the game.

4: Give me some actual "choices" that affect the story.

5: "new Game plus" should be mandatory for all RPGs

6: Maps that you can't move around.
Star Ocean TLH had this and I didn't realize how much it made me mad that I couldn't move it.

7: The ability to set way-points.
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword had this and it was Awesome-amzing-genius.
I also wouldn't mind if it was like Fable's golden trail thing.

8: Not being able to get a treasure chest because I have to many.
I really applaud Star Ocean TLH in this regard because it didn't waste items by giving me items i was already maxed out on. This was helpful at the beginning but later on it became annoying.
Maybe have an option to just get whatever is in the treasure chest and ignore the values?

9: "Treasure sense" Every RPG should have this. Thank you Star Ocean TLH from having me obsess over every inch of real estate.

10: Special locked treasure boxes not recorded. So many I forgot about, it'd be nice if the hero made a note of it. I know I would if I was the hero.

11: Confusing and small icons.
Icons should be large (20X20) and tell me exactly what's in them.
*Stares menacingly at Star Ocean TLH*
Sword = Weapons
Shield = Armor
Potion = Items
Drum stick = Food store
Book = Book store
Bed = INN

RPG's feel like barren fields and hallways, I want to see packs of enemies roaming together... more of what FF13 was doing on the Steppe and more options for transportation I'm tired of walking EVERYWHERE.

Do you have any other ideas for RPG's?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Besides the whole lot of samey JRPGs that I'd never stick my head in, I actually don't know any RPG that does those things. One or two at a pinch, but mostly coherent to your wishes.
Maybe you should look on the more western-side of RPGs.
I could list and describe a few examples if you want...
LightDemonCodeH Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
nah, i've already got some.
:iconvaz612:
Vaz612 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Personally, I thought the battle system in FF12 was an absolute joke. And random battles are completely fine. Quit whining when you encounter too many and be thankful for the extra EXP that'll help you against the next boss.

That being said, while I do enjoy the classic Dragon Warrior/Classic Final Fantasy turn based RPGs, I think some more action RPGs like Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur would be nice. (The class system in KoA was also amazing)

And yeah. Star Ocean TLH was a god-awful game.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
This seems like a thread about star ocean, which i don't think that many ppl play and I don't know what have your complaints are even about
:icondiapermansex:
Diapermansex Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
too much random encounters that too same gameplay too
:iconsandrorybak:
SandroRybak Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I want random battles back in my jrpgs and a roundbased gameplay, but more advanced, with more tactical elements
LightDemonCodeH Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I kind of don't want random battles, but instead maybe ambush or sneak attacks? Like they hide behind bushes, jump down from above, jump from a trench... etc. It wouldn't be random but it'd add some excitement.

"roundbased gameplay?"
SandroRybak Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
yeah well like the old atb system of FF
LightDemonCodeH Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I don't think we'll ever see it again.
SandroRybak Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. it will be back after the whole fast battle hype has flaten down and the developpers realize that no one really liked the new way of (j)rpg
Add a Comment: