Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Any RPG suggestions?

:iconmarvelouschester:
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Well I have run flat up against a wall, I am a huge gamer and have run out of games to play w/o having to resort to online multiplayer games such as Battlefield and Child Online Daycare. Any suggestions that fall related to these?
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Borderlands 1 & 2
Heavy Rain
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Deus Ex,Elder Scroll,Ultima, and Final Fantasy are the best.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Shooter RPGs
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (beware that the first 2 games can be glitchy messes)
Metro 2033
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Fallout: New Vegas (if you're into DLC, get Old World Blues)
Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines
Pathologic
Alpha Protocol (gameplay is a tolerate/hate it deal, otherwise very rough gem)
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy (indie Deus Ex spiritual successor, download latest version)

ARPGs
Gothic II Gold, Gothic, Gothic 3 + community patch (avoid Gothic 4)
Risen
King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame (has strategy elements)
Dragon's Dogma (Monster Hunter meets Skyrim)
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
Those aren't really RPGs. RPGs are like Final Fantasy or Pokemon.

If you're looking for a current gen RPG, I would suggest Resonance of Fate. It's really under rated, a real sleeper hit but I love it.
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
There is action-based and turn-based
A majority I listed are action-based(if not all), what you just said was turn-based.

I'll check out Resonance though
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Not Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts that's for damn sure. If you can get your hands on Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, or Elder Scrolls 3-5, get them. My opinion, but that's that...
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I really want to play Pandora's Tower, will pick up Xenoblade when it drops a bit more considering I got so much stuff I need to buy atm(including software and stuff)
The Elder Scrolls are fun and all but sometimes I feel they are either too empty by having visuals but not as many enemies.
:iconazuregundam:
azuregundam Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Traditional Artist
Final fantasy 7 ,Final fantasy 13 , final fantasy 13-2, and Tales of Vesperia
:icononlyelisha:
onlyelisha Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Avoid Final Fantasy XIII is probably the best suggestion I can ever give you.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Just avoid post-Amano era Final Fantasy and that pedo-fest that is Kingdom Hearts and you should be okay.

What you really need to do is to get some SNES era games going.
:iconaustin-tyler:
Austin-Tyler Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Final Fantasy (Any of the franchise)
Kingdom Hearts (I and 2)
Diablo III

These are personal some of the best RPG games that I have played!
:iconskyfire2008:
SkyFire2008 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Morrowind,
Gothic,
Witcher,
Diablo 2,
Sacred,
Planescape: Torment,
Arcanum,
Fallout.
:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   General Artist
My favorite RPGs are Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim of the Elder Scrolls series. I also loved Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't know if I could recommend its sequel as I haven't played very far into it and they changed the gameplay in all the wrong ways for me.
Someone else suggested Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, and I second their picks. Either one is great, though they have completely different atmospheres, in my opinion.

You'll notice that most of my preferred RPGs are western ones, especially the kind with swords and mythical creatures. The Fallout series is an exception for me, as I don't usually like shooters. You mentioned the Legend of Zelda debate, and Fallout kind of falls into the same thing, where some people want to call it a shooter, and others think it should just be considered an RPG. The gunplay in it isn't as perfected as in most full shooters. If you've played Battlefield, you'll notice that should you try it out.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I second this, the open world RPGs are the best ones, though DA: O doesn't come far behind. DA2? Not a fan. It was okay for me, but inferior to the prequel.
:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   General Artist
I've never been a fan of RPGs with a linear world and no exploration between major quest areas. It's just not as immersive as a game that lets you wander and explore anything you might see as you look out at the world from a hilltop.

DA: O is an exception, but I don't love it for the world as much as for the characters and companions. However, I felt that the expansion, Awakening, lacked character depth in not letting you talk to your companions and get to know them in the same way you got to know Wynne, Alistair, Leliana.... I would have loved to have some sort of back story with Nathaniel, especially considering his father killed my character's family and they supposedly grew up with their families being close friends.

I didn't get very far into DA2. I got Anders to join my party and then lost interest. I think I maybe played a total of six hours of the game. I've been meaning to give it another try, but I would much rather replay DA: O if I'm in the mood for that sort of RPG.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I know what you mean, the open world of TES and Fallout is something that is very hard to match. It is not enough that it is open, it must encourage exploration.

Yeah, Awakening is bad in that regard and sadly DA2 is much the same, just with more hack'n'slash combat, overthetop animations and restricted companion customization. Still, the Architect was an interesting fella.
:iconkarmageddin:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
PS3

Final Fantasy XIII

Hyperdimension Neptuina mk2

PS2

Final Fantasy X

Xenosga trilogy

and any PS1 area Final Fantasy game except 9
:iconkarmageddin:
Karmageddin Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
era not area
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
By chance, what systems do you have?

Dragon's Dogma (still has an online function, but the interaction with other people is limited and only for getting a partner from them and for them to "train" your character. All done automatically.)
Final Fantasy XIII (only if you don't mind a linear gameplay with a few major cutscenes and playing RPGs differently. Ignore the peanut gallery as this is a pretty good game.)
Tales of Symphonia / Phantasia / Abyss / anything with "Tales of" at the beginning and does not have a number.
Fallout 3 & New Vegas (note: the order is suppose to be 3 then New Vegas, but one could go New Vegas then 3. 3 also starts off a little harsh like you know what to do once you exit the tutorial while New Vegas does a lot of hand holding for a while. So pick your poison.)
Morrowind for PC and with an HD mod.
Baten Kaitos: Wings of Eternal Darkness & Origin (order does not matter, they actually play differently.)
The World Ends With You.
:icondamonwakes:
DamonWakes Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Writer
I'm afraid that out of the games you've mentioned, Borderlands is the only one I'm familiar with. ^^;

Weirdly, the thing I found Borderlands most similar to was Diablo II. If you like filling out skill trees and collecting rare loot, it might be worth a look, even though the actual gameplay is not at all the same.
:iconmrgamezone:
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Too many to list.

However, I really recommend the first two Golden Sun games.
:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Final fantasy XIII -2 or just Final Fantasy XIII. once you get to grand pulse its awsome.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Phantasy Star Universe/Portable/Online!!!
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Xenoblade!

Also, I'm pretty sure Heavy Rain isn't an RPG.
MarvelousChester Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I will be sure to check it out!

Heavy Rains is a game that DOES have RPG qualities yet also lacks so that is why I got it up there, think of it as a Legend of Zelda debate but the difference is I will admit this is more of an interactive thriller than an RPG.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Heavy Rain is a adventure game. Games that people forgot about along time ago. Just because half life has jumping and crow bar swinging does not make it a platformer/beat em up.
Add a Comment: