video game facts

wanna share some?
here's some that i know (and are probably obvious)
*Rayman was recolored from purple to blue  in its Japanese release because in Japanese culture, purple is the color of Death (i'm not sure though)
* The boos in the Sunken Airship in Mario World are actually Bowser's dead crew from Mario 3.
want proof?, each time you kill Boom Boom a glowing orb with a question mark appears and how  does the Sunken Airship end? by tapping a question mark of course 
*in the Japanese version of Paper Mario: the thousand year door, The house in the back alley of Rogueport's main square originally had a Toad-shaped chalk outline and dried blood on the floor. These signs of violence were removed for the U.S. version.
* According to the instruction booklet,  each time you hit a block with your fist in Super Mario Bros for the NES  you are actually  killing innocent toads, the koopas turned them into blocks before the Mario Bros came to save Princess Peach
Comments74
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nintendo has been around since 1889.
-Republic Commando had its campaign cut in half, and the second half was to be repurposed for the sequel game that was then cancelled in early 2003-2004 when TFU was conceived. It is also suspected Battlefront 3 may have been held back from release because of TFU

-GoldenEye 64's multiplayer was made in about a month's time, without any approval by the publisher

-Same-sex romances were supposed to be available in Mass Effect 1 (All) and in Mass Effect 2 (Miranda)

-Bioshock 2 had a significantly different storyline, an economy mechanic, underwater combat, and several other things that were cut due to a forced rewrite by the publisher. Thus the game out beneath its potential.

-The Force Unleashed has a multiplayer component on-disc, although it is disabled and only had two functional game modes when they gave up on it because of a bug. The developers even left their comments in the code. Hackers also found a way to extract models from the game (upon discovering the model use a custom file type) and change the sequence of levels on a whim.

-KotOR 1 had a cut forth Starforge map. There's a mod in the works that intends to restore it, but the planet was mostly unfinished.

-Yavin 4, while on disc for PC, had to be made DLC for the Xbox version of KotOR

-Rogue Squadron 4 was in development for the Wii before being cancelled
- Donkey Kong got his name because Shigeru Miyamoto thought it would get the idea across that's he's a stubborn, stupid ape.

- Miyamoto got the idea for Star Fox from his regular visits to a temple dedicated to a flying fox.

- Spyro was originally going to be green. However, Insomniac felt he would blend with the grass, so they made him purple instead (which is also a unique color for a dragon).

- Pokémon has been pitched to Nintendo as early as 1990 in the form of "Capsule Monsters".

- David Jaffe's original idea for God of War III was to have Kratos kill Zeus early on, only to end up fighting the Greek, Norse, and Egyptian gods who are competing for world ownership. Supposed to gain Thor's hammer and Ra's magic along the way, he is joined by a Norse and Egyptian counterpart of him. Together, they defeat the gods and form a new religion under a single god, Christianity, with them being the three wise men as described in the Bible.

- The character Wario was originally conceived by disgruntled artists creating a mock drawing of Mario.

- Bowser was originally intended to be an ox. But when concept art of him was presented, the artist was told that the character looked more like a turtle. So Bowser was re-worked into his present form.

I got more where those came from. ;)
Intelligent Systems was once a one-person company. The same company that made Paper Mario, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and others, was once just run by one guy. Same with Blizzard. That company was once just three college students working together. Pretty amazing, it inspires me to have a go at making a game. Going indie, I guess is the phrase =)
i got the golden god achievement in super meat boy :P
The voice actor for Ezio is the voice actor for Sonic.
he is the same voice actor for chris redfield for re5-6 as well
Did you happen to watch Game Grumps today? ;)
Nope, what's that?
Basically a guy called Jontron (who is my favorite youtuber) and Egorapter play video games and then make fun of them too :P.

I thought it might have been a reference because in their Sonic Video they put that fact thing in their video description XD Sorry for the confusion.
Oh, I see. I usually learn about voice actor connections from my friends or random Wikipedia surfing. No need to apologize, though (:
Loving reading these facts.

Here are a few I found:

-Solid Snake of Metal Gear Solid fame is heavily based on Kurt Russell's 'Snake Plissken' from Escape from New York and Escape form LA

-The Original Playstation was supposed to be a Nintendo console, made by Sony. But in it's later stages of development, Nintendo ditched Sony to work on the N64. Sony felt they had been stitched up, but decided to release the console anyway and the PSone was born

-'Mario' was the Italian landlord of a young Miyamoto

-Devil May Cry was originally intended to be a new game in the Resident Evil Franchise

-Since the release of Mario Bros in 1983, many kids in the US have been named Mario. Since the release of The Secret of Monkey Island in 1990, no children have been named Guybrush
You are more or less correct about the PS1.

The way I heard it was this, Nintendo felt as though they needed to compete with the moderately successful SEGA CD but being the rubbish company that they are they (unlike the geniuses at SEGA) felt that they couldn't do it themselves and so brought in Sony to help them.

But after a while arguments ensued as to what the console could do so Nintendo pulled out but Sony meanwhile thought to themselves "Wait a minute here we have put in all this time, effort and money in to this console and have a working prototype".

So they continued to work on it and in 1994 released the PS1 to the world.

So it is thanks to Nintendo that we have the Playstation.
I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing tbh.

I don't want to incur the wraith of the Playstation fanboys but Sony seem to have lost their way and the PS3 is somewhat of a copy cat console.
Well I have always thought that the PS was junk in terms of graphics, gameplay the lot.

The PS1 was clobbered by the Saturn, the PS2 was clobbered senseless at first by the Dreamcast and then the Xbox and Gamecube and the PS3 gets clobbered by the 360.

I don't exactly get your final point. What do you mean that the PS3 is a copycat console?
I quite liked the PS1 lol

The copy cat console comment...I sort of feel Microsoft and Nintendo are innovators. The Wii was a revolution, the Kinect took it one step further. Sony's playstation move was a cheap rip off of the wii controller and consumers could see that.

Sony have lost their edge and so you are left with a console which is OK at most things, but excellent at nothing.

When it was originally released the Blu-ray player was an big selling point. But now pretty much all media can be streamed in HD and the Blu Ray is an old model without quick play so it's old hat.

It wouldn't surprise me is the PS4 (or whatever) comes out with a giant screen in the controller and a rudimentary kinect like add on. They play it safe, which I don't think is what the industry needs at the moment
I have always thought that Sony was crap. Not just at consoles but at everything.

In my opinion VHS kicked the living crap out of Betamax and I have never owned a Sony product i.e TV's, videos whatever in my life.

Blu-Ray has NEVER interested me in my life. Reasons being 1. Why pay more for a movie when you can get it cheaper on DVD. 2. Later DVDs were almost on a par with Blu-Ray. Heck some of them were actually better than Blu-Ray and 3. Like you said most things can be streamed these days. Cant remember the last time I bought a DVD.

Sony coping someone isn't new. They copied SEGA twice. By copying their CD based gaming systems in the SEGA CD and Saturn. Yep the Saturn came out first.

I always though that Sony was behind in the consoles. Every time I look at games that came out on multiple platforms the PS versions always seemed to get the lower score. I can't think of a game where the PS version beat the other consoles.

That was a great reply that you made. I totally agree with it.
Thanks very much :)

I got a PSone which my Dad brought me one xmas. I loved it but I was quite young so didnt really know any better (and Croc kicked so much ass lol)

However after that its was the dreamcast (which we got with a free DVD player in a deal to rival thebrand new PS2) then xbox.

I did get a PS2 though, cost me £10 and i got 2 controllers 2 games and a mem card. So it would have been rude to say no to that.

I've also just recently acquired a ps3. I plan to mess around with the firmware, but ultimately I just wanted to play the Uncharted Games and MGS 4. However while playing uncharted 2 I noticed some annoyances with the console, the biggest was the PS3 Dual shock 3 (or whatever it's called now).

1. The Controller feels like a cheap children's toy
2. Fundamentally speaking you're using a controller which (aside from a few modifications) is the same controller you used on the PSone in 1994! Thats 18 years!

I don't have a hatred of Sony, I just don't like the way they do things. I don't really get why anyone would have a PS3 over a Xbox 360 Wii combo?
View all replies
Here did you know that Star Fox was originally called Star Wing in Europe and Australia because a company called Mythicon had created a game called Star Fox in 1983 for the Atari 2600 and had trademarked the name in Europe but not the US meaning Nintendo were able to release it as Star Fox in the US.

It hadn't been resolved when Star Fox 64 was released in 1997 and it was released as Lylat Wars in Europe and Australia.

The issue has now been resolved and it is called Star Fox here in Europe although when Star Fox 64 was re-released on the Wii Virtua Console it was re-released as Lylat Wars.

There was a THIRD game called Starfox that was released in 1987 by a company called Reaktor for the ZX Spectrum. Amstrad and Commodore 64.
*is speechless* awesome D: