Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 113

Indie Games

:icongingerbaron:
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So I watch a few youtube videos and surf the internet about up and coming indie games.

I was just wondering if you have played any or found an intresting game to play recently or to be released.

For example one of the games I have purchased is FTL (Faster Than Light)
I wont explain to much but your a space ship and you must fight your way to your base before the rebels destroy it. On the way you level up weapons systems and crew. It has brilliant micro management as well. Simple graphics but the music is pretty good as well.

Another example is Prison Architect an game that is currently in alpha or beta. It just reminds me of the sims, making rooms and amenities available.

Anyone have any thoughts or any other games that look good or awful?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaprilmcguire:
AprilMcGuire Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012   Digital Artist
Indie games?
I've played the demo for Limbo, super great game. Funny enough, there is another indie game with very similar aspects (panoramic style left-to-right gameplay, puzzle solving) called Deadlight. Deadlight I bought, but I got epically stuck. Before being stuck, it was a fantastic game where you're a father trying to get back to his wife and child in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. The background detail is gorgeous. But the autosave feature doesn't save as frequently as it should and I find myself having to escape a corrupt army holdout over & over & over because the person I am trying to rescue is a tard and can't keep up, thus resetting my progress to 0 everytime. :iconimhorrifiedplz: So yeah, I stopped playing that.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ah that sounds like a good game apart from the suck autosave, its always frustrating like rescue and lead missions cause the NPC's never do what they are told
:iconaprilmcguire:
AprilMcGuire Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012   Digital Artist
The problem was the NPC I "rescued" wasn't fast enough. We'd have to jump gaps and I'd have to help her, quickly shoot the oncoming guys, help her again.. rinse & repeat. *headdesk*
Tts the ones that either get in the way or get lost on the way that is a face palm moment so I feel your pain
:iconlunchmuffin:
lunchmuffin Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Some of these aren't Indie, but I enjoy playing them. ;)

Fez (XBLA): 2D/3D Puzzle Platformer with a nice 8Bit feel.

Journey (PSN): Love this one! It's an adventure/exploration game with beautiful music, characters, and environments. There is a pseudo co-op mechanic, too.

Don't Starve (Browser): It's a silly survival game where you're dropped into a randomly generated map and have to collect items, do crafting, and fight monsters to see how long you can go without starving to death. [link]

ChronoBlade (Browser): This one isn't out yet, but you can sign up to be part of the closed beta testing. It's a 3D Side-Scroller Action RPG that is set in a Multiverse. It's like DFO meets Diablo. I'm the VFX Artist on ChronoBlade and I'm having a lot of fun working on it and playing it. :) [link]
I've played fez and enjoyed that.

Don't Starve is the kind of game I enjoy as well because I enjoy the gathering before the monsters come etc... More fun than vanilla minecraft as well.

Never played the other two but they sound good as well so I will be looking them up.
:iconlunchmuffin:
lunchmuffin Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You should! They're really fun. :D
:icontherealpadster:
theRealPadster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Interface Designer
Torchlight II :D
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've seen a lot of videos about it but never played it myself, do you prefer it to diablo?
tbh, I've never played Diablo.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Not even the first 2? The 3rd came out roughly the same time but I'm not sure it was as good as its counterparts.You enjoy playing torchlight II?
Yeah, never played Diablo. Torchlight was good, and Torchlight II is even better :)
Does look like a fun game, plus the fact you can have a pet is cool
theRealPadster Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Interface Designer
yep :)
:iconorangeboombox:
orangeboombox Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
ahaha whoah i made a whole seperate thread talking about/giving a list of a lot of indie games that i've played and enjoyed! i didn't even see this one aaa
[link]
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Its cool now you will have to trawl through the thread and add all the games said :P
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Cube World. Makes Minecraft look like crap. I play a great shooter called Satazius. Has some lovely level design.
Guxt, Crimzon Clover, and a few others I can't remember right now.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Haven't heard of cube world. What differences does it have to minecraft? I haven't played minecraft or at least the vanilla version in an age
XoPachi Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
It's not exactly comparable to Minecraft, but put Minecraft in 3rd person, give your character HIGH mobility with RPG elements and an actual goal in a preset world and you have Cube World. It's not finished, but the creator was thinking of putting some sort of house crafting in the game and you can make your own weapons block by block.
Yer I always found that the problem with minecraft not having an outstanding goal to aim for. Cube World does sound good thought I will look into it.
I can't wait for Wollay to finish it.
Is it still in beta and constantly added or will it be finished in the next few months?
He is not sure. It could be available in a few weeks (doubtful) or a few months. I can tell you one thing, he shows about everything he puts in it as he works on it. There's a crap ton of decent length videos and meaningful screenshots.
Hes got his heart in it which is good then
:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Photographer
Penumbra: Overture was pretty slick
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
How scary is it to play? Is it more fun with friends or in darkness alone?
:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Photographer
Not as scary as hotel626.
Love the idea of only being able to play between 6pm to 6am!
:iconterranabassador:
TerranAbassador Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Kerbal Space Program. It might still be only 18 bucks, and you'll get all the future updates for free after buying it. They've also got the .13 version downloadable for free if you want to give it a try before buying.

[link]
Ah I've heard of that and watched my friend play it. For only 18 dollars and you get the rest of the game as they update it, definitely worth a buy.
TerranAbassador Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Definitely.

Oh, I forgot to mention a little MMO called Vendetta Online. It's a space sandbox. It's got a small community, and it's still kinda basic (and the graphics aren't crysis, if you're shallow enough to judge a game's worth based on that...:X), but it's devs are dedicated to it, listen to the community, patch and update it on an almost weekly basis, it's player-skill based, classless, skill-less , twitch controlled with 6 DoF, it's only 10 bucks a month (less if you buy larger chunks of time(down to 7)), and there's weekly events.

[link]
Now that sounds like a game I will have to look at, it seems like a lot of space themed game are coming out recently. Then again I supposed the gaming industry is so large you could say that about most genres and themes. So in this game is it just to survive and visit various locations? Or something else?
TerranAbassador Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
No. You can fight in a war between two of the NPC nations, become a pirate, a miner, a mercenary, a capital ship manfucturer, a space-faring dog (yes, someone actually does roleplay that); when I've got the money to subscribe I usually do double duty as a nationalist privateer/militiaman and a teacher in a pvp school.

Pvp is fully open pretty much everywhere ('I see you *pew pew*' open), so watch your back.
You just keep selling it to me! This does sound really awesome. I wish my damn internet connection would be quicker I can't even load the website in like 5 minutes grrr...
TerranAbassador Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah. It's, and I hate to make this analogy, an EVE that's built around fun instead of grind.

And the reason I hate that analogy is because VO is a year older than EVE.
I can see your point there but its fine. Thanks for bring this game to my attention hopefully I will be playing with you on it soon.
:iconfairyfaily:
FairyFaily Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, i wiil definetely recomend "To the moon" from Kan Gao. This game really is a piece of art.
I really like the idea of this game, I will have to have a bit more of an in depth look at it thanks!
:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Since I'm an Extra Credits fan,I've been looking forward to Mental Drift and Firefall.

also Battle Kid 2,though I need to get a NES for that game.
I really like the look of the graphics for mental drift, battle kid 2 what's that about?
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
to sum it up, the Battle Kid series is a series of homebrew NES games made by a guy named Sivak he sells on Retrozone.com. it's pretty much like a harder version of the Mega Man games, set in a big area like Metroid. the first game is already out on the site, and the second one is supposed to come out this month. he released demos you can play on a NES emulator if you want to try it out, but be warned-the first game was #8 on Screwattack's list of hardest NES games... and they weren't kidding.

BK1 demo:sivak.nintendoage.com/BK-demo.zip

BK2 demo:sivak.nintendoage.com/BK2-NewDemo.zip

and yep,I'm mad hyped for Mental Drift.another game I'm looking forward to on the indie end is BaraBaraBall,if you wanna check that out.
I never played the mega man series but that does sound hard then, worth the hours of frustration then. How many is he thinking on developing or is he going by sales?
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
all I really know is he has a contract with the publisher of the Retrozone Carts, and that they make a cart every time they recieve an order, so I guess unless they say otherwise, the cart numbers are unlimited. As for the series Sivak says that he's gonna take a break for a while after the 2nd game gets released.

here is the site, btw: [link]
:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If they haven't been said already, I have a few.
-Limbo:
a 2D monochrome/atmospheric/grim plattformer, with astounding asthetics. You've got to settle down a bit to enjoy it though, can't just hop in and play 20 minutes and then pull out again. Darken your room to a comfortable degree, close your doors and windows so it's silent. I'd recommend a headphone and NONE of your music playing to completly sink into the game... Just start and let the game catch you

-EDGE:
a 3D arcade-y plattformer, where you controll a block through many levels and really have to watch your timing. simple and fast fun.

-Bastion:
an indie-rpg isometric perspective. The graphical style, the original narrative and storytelling-way really sold it to me. It's good in the gameplay department too, for me atleast.

-MirrorsEdge:
A first person parkour-plattformer.
Pretty much my favorite game. High quality graphics combined with unmatched visual effects and astounding asthetics, plus a fluid and intuitive gameplay that I had never seen up to that point. You should really check it out! The story falls pretty flat though and it's really short.
Not really an Indie-Game though since it's published by EA, but it plays and looks like one, and costs only 10 €/$ average.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I bought bastion on xbox because its a good game plus the narration over it is just so well thought out.

Limbo another game that brings a game back to simplicity for a puzzle game but makes it work so well you never forget that game.

Mirrors Edge I have never played but I have heard various good and bad reviews.

Edge sounds like a good game that could be very addictive

Good shouts all round
:iconvic-viper-001:
vic-viper-001 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hydorah!! If you like SHMUPs even the slightest bit, you should download this one NOW!
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Try flash games.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What ones would you recommend?
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Fancy Pants, The Quest for Icambocem, Territory WAR, The adventures of Guy RPG. There are so many. And you should try braid.
Gingerbaron Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Will do thanks very much!
Add a Comment: