Buying a Game Console [PS3 vs XBOX Elite]

Years and years ago, I bought the regular XBOX360. I was unaware of its RRoD syndrome since the past game consoles we have like PSX and PS2 doesn't have any issues AFAIK, the RRoD flashed after a 30 minute play on a hot weather.

Now, I'm choosing between the two, PS3 or XBOX360 Elite.
I'm not sure if Microsoft had learned their lesson from the RRoD case and somehow fixed the problem with the Elite version so I'm still wondering if it's a good pick.

In my place,
PS3 = ≈340USD (Bundled with 10 free games)
X360 Elite = ≈450USD (Bundled with 5 free games / No kinect)

Can anyone suggest which one is better? Any pros and cons with the two? Like system failures (like X360's RRoD or similar case), endurance with heat/temperature etc.
Comments64
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've owned 2 XBox 360's and I won't buy another... both had the RRoD. My friend bought an Elite and also has the RRoD! My other friend had 2 and they all had the RRoD! Forget 360. Buy a PS3. Online gameplay is FREE and I have not had any issues!
Yeah, they say the Slim version doesn't have RRoD anymore.
PS3. Definitely.
I'd go for ps3. But the n ext gen is coming soon so if i was going for a console i 'd probably get the same as i would for the next gen.
If you want free multiplayer, choose the PS3 , if you also have a HD telly, as it will look great on it :)
I never played any Xbox games so I could not give you a fair revierw of both but I do like my PS3 (and since I do not go into wole console war mindset no I will not say anything bad any other system) so from me for my point view only downside to ps3 is sometimes games they get some of them just not my cup of tea
I'm not into the console wars either. I just wanted to play and I wanna know both console's durability since my regular xbox360 got RRoD after half a year.
Xbox is better media device, but I like my ps3 with free internet no paid account of online content. Both systems are due for a refresh some time next year so bear that in mind, I would get the cheep versions. Are you a fan of Halo or Final Fantasy ? Uncharted or gears of war Games and controls make the difference. I like the ps3 try both out if you can at your local electronic store.. Neighter motion control is very good in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm hearing there will be a successor console next year so I'm taking that into account too :noes:
If you're looking to play games, base your decision on what games you want to play. For example, if you want all the Halo games, you gotta get an XBOX. If you want Metal Gear or Final Fantasy, you gotta get PS3. There's no point in spending your time picking out a console based on loading times or anecdotal accounts of (fixable) RRoDs a few people experience that are actually quite rare these days (or because they had older versions) if the console can't play any of the games you want to play. The games and how much you want them should be your top concern, seeing as how that's the whole point of having a game console, right? Everything else, like which has the better web browser or which games other people like to play, should all be less important to you.

The bottom line is both systems are great and they each have their downsides and occasionally people get a lemon, but ultimately it's the games that you're buying a console for and either console will be a great buy as long as you make the purchase worthwhile. If that's not the main reason you're buying it for, then maybe a game console isn't what you need.
You've got a point there - buying console for the games.

I'm not really after exclusive games for PS3/X360 though. I just wanted to play (any game) with a console that will last because I was shocked how my old X360 died for a mere half a month.
I wouldn't say buy one just for an exclusive game, but if there are any games you want that are exclusive to one console and not the other, then you need to weigh how much you want each one. Personally, I would get a PS3 and an 360 if I had the money (and a TV :lol:), because I love both Resistence and Halo.
:iconotlplz: We could only choose one T_T
Get a fucking PC!
The best choice is a PC. That aside, I'd usually recommend the XBox, but damn, that's one hell of a deal you're getting for that PS3.
Full disclosure, I do own a PS3. The PS3 is more reliable (it still has its own "Yellow Light of Death" problem, but not as frequently as the 'box with RROD), and you can swap out the HDD with an off-the-shelf one without voiding the warranty. Playstation Plus service gets you free games and content all the time, so it's worth the money if you play a lot. There's PS Move, if you care about that sort of thing.

On the other hand, Microsoft just recently got a patent on a system that would have the XBOX spy on you with the Kinect. Just on principle, you ought not to be giving them any money. The 360 Elite will scratch the f**k out of your game disc if you move the console at all while the disc is spinning. The system runs hotter and is less reliable, storage is all Microsoft's proprietary crap, etc. However, web browsing on the XBOX is actually functional whereas the PS3's web browser is basically useless, so that's one saving grace.

Other than that, it comes down to which exclusive games you want (or would miss) the most, Halo & Gears or the things the PS3 has (Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, I dunno what else) Overall, the PS3 is a smarter choice.
Thanks for the input :thumbsup:
Why would you EVER move a console, ANY console, when the disc is spinning? :facepalm:
Not by choice. Suppose it's standing on end and it gets bumped? Most systems wouldn't make a difference, maybe skip, but only the 360 elite would gouge a ring on the disc and render it unusable. I'm just mentioning it as a factor, that's all.
Not really. Any system scratches a disc if it's bumped with it spinning, that accident has happened to me as well. But you mention it as some sort of gamebreaker, which it's not, unless you're careless. :bucktooth:
They're both fine these days. The RRoD 360 problems were worked out years ago. Of course, if you still fuck up your system by mistreating it that's on you. The actual RRoD manufacturing defect is long gone though.

PS3s are fine. The updates aren't annoying at all :shrug:

It really just comes down to what games you want to play and if they're exclusive.
I read somewhere that MS reworked on the RRoD case for the Elite but someone said it still appears on the elite version except for the Slim.