Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

Buying a Game Console [PS3 vs XBOX Elite]

:iconjmoa:
JMOA Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Years and years ago, I bought the regular XBOX360. I was unaware of its RRoD syndrome since the past game consoles we have like PSX and PS2 doesn't have any issues AFAIK, the RRoD flashed after a 30 minute play on a hot weather.

Now, I'm choosing between the two, PS3 or XBOX360 Elite.
I'm not sure if Microsoft had learned their lesson from the RRoD case and somehow fixed the problem with the Elite version so I'm still wondering if it's a good pick.

In my place,
PS3 = ≈340USD (Bundled with 10 free games)
X360 Elite = ≈450USD (Bundled with 5 free games / No kinect)

Can anyone suggest which one is better? Any pros and cons with the two? Like system failures (like X360's RRoD or similar case), endurance with heat/temperature etc.

Devious Comments

:iconyashachan:
yashachan Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
OP's request.

:lock:
:icongstevensart:
GStevensArt Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I've owned 2 XBox 360's and I won't buy another... both had the RRoD. My friend bought an Elite and also has the RRoD! My other friend had 2 and they all had the RRoD! Forget 360. Buy a PS3. Online gameplay is FREE and I have not had any issues!
JMOA Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, they say the Slim version doesn't have RRoD anymore.
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
PS3. Definitely.
:iconsuitandarmour:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I'd go for ps3. But the n ext gen is coming soon so if i was going for a console i 'd probably get the same as i would for the next gen.
:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Photographer
If you want free multiplayer, choose the PS3 , if you also have a HD telly, as it will look great on it :)
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
PS3
:iconxanthiran:
Xanthiran Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Writer
I never played any Xbox games so I could not give you a fair revierw of both but I do like my PS3 (and since I do not go into wole console war mindset no I will not say anything bad any other system) so from me for my point view only downside to ps3 is sometimes games they get some of them just not my cup of tea
I'm not into the console wars either. I just wanted to play and I wanna know both console's durability since my regular xbox360 got RRoD after half a year.
:iconcr43:
cr43 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Xbox is better media device, but I like my ps3 with free internet no paid account of online content. Both systems are due for a refresh some time next year so bear that in mind, I would get the cheep versions. Are you a fan of Halo or Final Fantasy ? Uncharted or gears of war Games and controls make the difference. I like the ps3 try both out if you can at your local electronic store.. Neighter motion control is very good in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm hearing there will be a successor console next year so I'm taking that into account too :noes:
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
If you're looking to play games, base your decision on what games you want to play. For example, if you want all the Halo games, you gotta get an XBOX. If you want Metal Gear or Final Fantasy, you gotta get PS3. There's no point in spending your time picking out a console based on loading times or anecdotal accounts of (fixable) RRoDs a few people experience that are actually quite rare these days (or because they had older versions) if the console can't play any of the games you want to play. The games and how much you want them should be your top concern, seeing as how that's the whole point of having a game console, right? Everything else, like which has the better web browser or which games other people like to play, should all be less important to you.

The bottom line is both systems are great and they each have their downsides and occasionally people get a lemon, but ultimately it's the games that you're buying a console for and either console will be a great buy as long as you make the purchase worthwhile. If that's not the main reason you're buying it for, then maybe a game console isn't what you need.
You've got a point there - buying console for the games.

I'm not really after exclusive games for PS3/X360 though. I just wanted to play (any game) with a console that will last because I was shocked how my old X360 died for a mere half a month.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I wouldn't say buy one just for an exclusive game, but if there are any games you want that are exclusive to one console and not the other, then you need to weigh how much you want each one. Personally, I would get a PS3 and an 360 if I had the money (and a TV :lol:), because I love both Resistence and Halo.
:iconotlplz: We could only choose one T_T
:iconflacidpenis:
FlacidPenis Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional
Get a fucking PC!
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
The best choice is a PC. That aside, I'd usually recommend the XBox, but damn, that's one hell of a deal you're getting for that PS3.
:icononihikage:
Onihikage Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Full disclosure, I do own a PS3. The PS3 is more reliable (it still has its own "Yellow Light of Death" problem, but not as frequently as the 'box with RROD), and you can swap out the HDD with an off-the-shelf one without voiding the warranty. Playstation Plus service gets you free games and content all the time, so it's worth the money if you play a lot. There's PS Move, if you care about that sort of thing.

On the other hand, Microsoft just recently got a patent on a system that would have the XBOX spy on you with the Kinect. Just on principle, you ought not to be giving them any money. The 360 Elite will scratch the f**k out of your game disc if you move the console at all while the disc is spinning. The system runs hotter and is less reliable, storage is all Microsoft's proprietary crap, etc. However, web browsing on the XBOX is actually functional whereas the PS3's web browser is basically useless, so that's one saving grace.

Other than that, it comes down to which exclusive games you want (or would miss) the most, Halo & Gears or the things the PS3 has (Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, I dunno what else) Overall, the PS3 is a smarter choice.
Thanks for the input :thumbsup:
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Why would you EVER move a console, ANY console, when the disc is spinning? :facepalm:
:icononihikage:
Onihikage Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Not by choice. Suppose it's standing on end and it gets bumped? Most systems wouldn't make a difference, maybe skip, but only the 360 elite would gouge a ring on the disc and render it unusable. I'm just mentioning it as a factor, that's all.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Not really. Any system scratches a disc if it's bumped with it spinning, that accident has happened to me as well. But you mention it as some sort of gamebreaker, which it's not, unless you're careless. :bucktooth:
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
They're both fine these days. The RRoD 360 problems were worked out years ago. Of course, if you still fuck up your system by mistreating it that's on you. The actual RRoD manufacturing defect is long gone though.

PS3s are fine. The updates aren't annoying at all :shrug:

It really just comes down to what games you want to play and if they're exclusive.
I read somewhere that MS reworked on the RRoD case for the Elite but someone said it still appears on the elite version except for the Slim.
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
They reworked the thermal compound that was causing the problems almost immediately after it was discovered. So that's been a non-issue more or less for about 6 years now. There was also an issue with PS3's failing near release. It happens with all newly released hardware :shrug: The bugs are worked out quickly.

That being said, if you mistreat your xbox you'll get a red-ring. The red ring just means that there has been hardware failure. So you've knocked it over and broken the disk drive/HDD. Or let it overheat because it doesn't have adequate airflow. Strapping fans to the side of the thing actually makes it more likely to overheat because those fans are just poorly designed gimmicks. If you take care of the systems, they will last damn near forever. For instance, I'm still running both my 360 and ps3 that I got at their respective launches all those years ago.
Any suggestion with the fans?
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artist
Never use an external fan. The systems are designed to keep themselves cool with no problems so long as you follow the instructions and give them enough space. Sometimes people will try to shove the things under the tv or in a cabinet and then wonder why it overheats.

External fans on a console do nothing that the console can't handle itself.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I've got the Metal Gear PS3 and the Resident Evil 360, and the PS3's had more issues. Had to send it in to be fixed once, and it crashes out and makes funny noises sometimes. So IMO it's a bit of a crapshoot with both of them. Try not to overheat your console, whatever you get.

But I'd say the biggest deciding factor ought to be if you have friends that you may want to play online with. Keep in mind that playing online is free with the PS3. Also I like the Move better than the Kinect, as much as I hate to say that. It's especially awesome for shooting games (eg House of the Dead, Child of Eden). So that might be something to consider too.

Oh yeah, and the PS3 plays blu-ray discs. That's pretty nice if you don't already have a blu-ray player. Gosh, I guess I'm coming out in favor of the PS3.
I wanted to play Resident Evil 6 too but it's on 360 only.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I have both and I prefer the xbox because my friends have it so I can play with them, and I think that the controller is superior for everything except fighting games. Don't forget to take the controller into account ;)
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not Xbox 360 Elite, you want the Xbox 360 S as that one no longer has the Red Ring of Death occuring. And both are fine, but in different ways.
Since both are fine then I guess it's OK.
I just hope I can find 360 S around.
It is the only thing that Microsoft sells now. The Elite are no longer in production.
Our nearest electronic store still sells Elite though. So yeah, I better choose between PS3 and X360 Slim.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
What are the PS3 games, because that sounds like a far better deal.

The PS3's online is free, plus its premium plan, Playstation Plus, now offers rouguhly 5-10 additional games you'd then get just with one fifty dollar purchase (and they change the roster a little bit every year, so you always have at least something new coming up). It also usually has good performance. It can have issues with heat, but instead of doing the PS3 equivelant of a RRoD, it'll just crash the game you're playing (at least in my experience). It also has probably some of the best exclusives out there (inFamous, Killzone, Uncharted, The Unfinished Swan, Resistance, Flower, Flow, Journey, Sly Cooper, Rachet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter -- just to name the more notable ones. There's even PSN exclusive RTS games). Also, getting movies on it has so far been enjoyable. Also, if you're a big anime fan, they just added an app to the PS3 that lets you watch free anime 24/7.

The biggest con is... well, for one, they just updated the store so now it's not nearly as comprehensible since they ****ed with the layout. They tried to make it look like the 360's store and... it didn't turn out well at all. Also, expect downloads for DLC, video, demos, and games to take longer than they would on PC (it's not too bad, but it's notably slower). And last but not least... firmware updates. They're long, annoying, and often don't really improve anything -- and yet you can't connect to anything online unless you have the latest required update. This will take especially long when you first plug in the console, as it will have to give you all the updates the PS3 has had since launch.

In my experience, most people just get the 360 for the same type of games you could just get on PC for cheaper. I like Halo as much as the next guy but most of the exclusives beyond that haven't seemed that great. And while you do get better online service from XBL, you also have to pay for it, then still have to deal with adverts getting in your way. And Microsoft's mainly focusing on casual audiences at this point, so their first party titles are getting more limited as time goes on. Rather ironic, when you consider the original Xbox pretty much launched with tons of Microsoft made IPs.
Some people did say that updates are quite annoying. I don't think I'll go online much, I'll just stick to playing via the DVD game.
Um, Blu-Ray. PS3 uses Blu-Ray discs for its games. That's why they were able to stick Dead Space Extaction along with Dead Space 2, and so many demos along with Resistance 3.

And while playing online might not be the highlight, Killzone 3 and the various demos you can get from PSN would be the primary reasons I ever use online.
lolz, yeah, Blu-ray sorry about that :bucktooth:
It's fine. I really am curious though -- what games are they offering? Or do you get to pick?
You can't pick, it's bundled random.
I didn't remember what games but there's one thing for sure - I don't like any of the games bundled with both consoles at all :)
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artist
You can't say that if ye haven't played the games yet.
JMOA Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm pretty much sure I don't like them.
(1 Reply)
:iconhironatashima:
Hironatashima Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Don't just assume the RRoD is still around. I've had my Xbox for well over a year, and it's endured quite a bit. It's still running, no RROD. However I also have a PS3... both are good systems. I would recommend PS3, because of the games they have though.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They're both going to be outdated in a year by successor consoles. You're best waiting. They'll probably be backwards compatible as well (in Sony's case, the PS4 needs to be or they're fucked)
The PS4 will probably not have direct backwards compatibility due to design issues in the CPU (seriously, you will either get a relabel and lightly modified, barely any more CPU power than before, much more expensive, or no backwards compatibility.) I think I also heard that Sony wants to avoid having another console that is much more expensive than the competitors.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Didn't stop them with the PS2 playing old ps1 games and being one of the best selling systems of all time.
That is because at the time, a PS1's CPU costed a quarter a pop. Literally. It handled all controller input for any PS2 game then became the sole CPU for a PS1 game. The PS3 Slim's master-slave CPU structure (which, by the way, looks nothing like the PS2, PS1, Wii, Xbox 360, or any modern PC's CPU structure) is still expensive and argued as something that is not fully explored compared to parallel processing (which just about everyone else in the world does and the video game industry in perticular is not very fond of change when no one else does it.)
I don't think it really matters if they're old so long as the games are enjoyable. I recently grabbed some used titles for the PS2, so I'd say a console's life is as long as you want it to be. I'm not even planning on getting another console unless its a handheld system.
I've been hearing PS4 :)
:iconmuady:
Muady Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
i got a xbox years ago and ive only had one problem (the disc reader broke) but they fixed on the warranty for me.

Its really all about what games you want, look at what etch of them have to offer and go with that. The machines positives and negatives cancel etch other out. The 360 can break and you have to pay for multiplayer. The ps3 is poorly managed and have tons of patches.
Add a Comment: