Closed to new replies
November 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

My ZombiU review

:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Well folks, the Wii U launched today, and we've gotten some reviews of my personal favorite game for it, ZombiU. They've been polarizing. GameSpot gave it a 4.3/10, and IGN's Greg Miller gave it a 3/5. On the other side of the spectrum, VentureBeat gave it an 88/100 (calling it "the end of the world done right"), Eurogamer a 9/10, Edge a 7/10, and while Kotaku hasn't released a review yet, they said it "is surprisingly full of good ideas and is designed for hardcore players who want a challenge," so I'll assume a 8/10-9/10.

The reason for the polarization, in my opinion, is the fact that this is strictly a niche game. The game is brutally hard; the zombies aren't one-hit kills any more, but they still present a huge threat. Regenerating health? You wish. Save points? Spare me. There's no reloading save points when shit hits the fan; you make do or die. This game is brutal.

The game also takes ammo conservation up to eleven. Finding five handgun bullets is cause for celebration, and if you try to play this like Dead Space you'll find yourself having to spend most of your time beating zombies to death with a stick. Another surprisingly deep aspect is the Gamepad; everything, from switching weapons to picking locks, is handled on it, drawing your attention away from the TV and the horrible things trying to chew your face off. It racks up the tension, which brings me to another point: ZombiU is genuinely scary. In an era of gaming where games that claim to be scary aren't (RE6), this is suprising. The game has its downsides, though: the constant backtracking gets tedious after a while, and the multiplayer feels weak.

Ultimately, though, this is one of those games where you'll decide whether or not you like it based on what you want out of it. If you're hoping for Kill Everything Ever: Zombie Edition, stick with RE6 and Dead Space; you'll hate everything about this game, from the slow-pacing to the punishing ammo conservation and the backtracking. This game is strictly for survivalists and true survival horror fanatics; it scary, gory, and doesn't make any effort to coddle the player. It's the antithesis to the endless casualized shooters and action-horror games made by other companies, and an ode to those who want a sadistic challenge.

And here's to hoping that the inevitable sequels stay that way.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icond-bandersnatch:
D-bandersnatch Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
well this makes me wish i had money so i could get the wii u. its nice to hear that there is actually a decent survival horror that actually lives up to its genre.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
The game is brutally hard; the zombies aren't one-hit kills any more, but they still present a huge threat. Regenerating health? You wish. Save points? Spare me. There's no reloading save points when shit hits the fan; you make do or die. This game is brutal.

Sounds like my type of game. I hope this game is good, despite how polarizing the reviews for the game is. I seriously doubt that it deserves 4.5 from Gamespot. Forget the horror part, we need more of the survival part of the genre.
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Any game that tries to be genuine survival horror instead of the pseudo-horror action shlock we get is invariably going to get hammered by a few reviewers hoping for CoD Zombies; my main hope is that the mixed reception doesn't scare away gamers and, ultimately, developers.

On a side note, this could actually be a big moment for Nintendo. Given the Michael Bay Action Syndrome that seems to be affecting developers, Nintendo should take advantage by funding and developing genuine horror titles. My recommendations:
1) Demand that a sequel to this game doesn't change radically.
2) Release Fatal Frame IV in the West.
3) "Encourage" Capcom to remake RE2 similarly to the original REmake.
4) Make a sequel to Eternal Darkness.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I hope for more unique titles as well. Unfortunately, niche games, especially on a Nintendo system, don't get enough respect.

I really do hope Nintendo does avert the, as you put it, "Michael Bay Action Syndrome". Only time will tell if Nintendo will take their chances. I like your recommendations, although a Eternal Darkness sequel will be a miracle and hears hoping that Capcom does not remake RE2 into a Gears of War clone.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I can't help but furrow my brow in how the gamepad was used for sniper sections, when anyone who's played a light-gun game with a scope should know that you don't actually need the scope. Then again, being a crotchety old gamer who grew up in the era where all gimmick in games was actually to be found in the game and not the console, I can't help but feel that I have a major bias against just how big a gimmick the Wii-U is. Who is the target? Sure, its marketable; except now that I recall, most of the Nintendo Directs were whinging on endlessly on how the Wii-U is supposed to bring people together and that its a social machine, the worse thing for a person like me who can't even keep a single friend, and has trouble getting streetpass hits.

Can I just have the option to sit back and use a normal controller? Is it too much to ask for a no frills controller anymore? Aside from the PSX, who found a great controller and stayed with it?
I can't help but furrow my brow in how the gamepad was used for sniper sections, when anyone who's played a light-gun game with a scope should know that you don't actually need the scope.

It isn't a light-gun game, and the Gamepad isn't shaped anything like a gun. Without the second screen, it would have a pretty normal scope.

Can I just have the option to sit back and use a normal controller? Is it too much to ask for a no frills controller anymore? Aside from the PSX, who found a great controller and stayed with it?

You can get a normal controller for Wii U if you want, but you'll be gimping yourself. Which controller is best is also subjective: "normal" controllers pale in comparison to, say, mouses and keyboards (and, IMO, the Gamepad). Is it too much to ask for a keyboard now?
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Jesus already!? I'm surprised people have bought it and finished it by now.

Gamespot sucks because apparently they complained about it being too difficult. Really!? Isn't that what most games should be aiming for? It's like Dark Souls all over again...(So much for "hardcore gamers". They seem to die off when a real challenge appears.)

I haven't read Greg Millers score, but since he gets a massive hard-on for anything Sony related, I'm not holding my breath.

"The reason for the polarization, in my opinion, is the fact that this is strictly a niche game. The game is brutally hard; the zombies aren't one-hit kills any more, but they still present a huge threat. Regenerating health? You wish. Save points? Spare me. There's no reloading save points when shit hits the fan; you make do or die. This game is brutal."

This sums up a true survival horror game. I was saving my money out of fear it would be like another Dead Island game, but I'm going to buy it now. Thanks RedSnifit. :D Also, how do you feel about the multiplayer?
Also, how do you feel about the multiplayer?

It's alright, I guess. The run 'n gun gameplay doesn't work quite so well, but it's still reasonably entertaining. The real killer is the lack of online multiplayer; unless some DLC lets you play online, you'll probably end up ignoring the multiplayer altogether.

Yeah, I got the feeling that the Gamespot reviewer went in expecting Left 4 Dead; of course, I stopped taking them seriously after they fired a reviewer for giving a certain game an unfavorable rating. And nobody takes Greg Miller seriously after his Dead Space 2 and Uncharted 3 reviews.
:iconno-doves-fly-here:
no-doves-fly-here Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
So how is the Wii U? Is it gimmicky or do you feel that it actually has potential to be a decent system?
Add a Comment: