Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Adverts in games.

:icondukedragoon:
DukeDragoon Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
This was inspiresd by a discussion I had with a fellow Deviant.
We were debating about adverts in T.V compared to adverts in gaming. Now there is huge exploitation available in games for advertising, just look up Alan Wake Energiser batteries.
Of course in the future when T.V has submerged into the digital age you may just watch one advert for one episode. This alrerady occours on many sites.
It then horribly struck me. What if they did this for games? Would I be submitted to Mountain Dew in Halo 4s lobbies or showered with Lynx on Saints Row?
Take Xbox for example. The "I Love Film" advert plays on the lobby though you're not forced to look at it, but it's still there. When I change games or want to use another service I am exposed to this advert everytime. I can see whiplash occuring if they forced adverts on us for a payed service.
But what about PSN they can justify adverts with free online, but still thats the same as T.V justifying adverts between shows.
Are we going to end up in a future dominated by advertisement, or a strong unity of gamers that will repulse this coming tide.
What are your thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsuitandarmour:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
So long as there not too obvious i don't mind cause they'll make more money and make better games and benifit we all will.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
as long as it doesn't interrupt or interfere with gameplay in any form I generally won't complain about it
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
Same here. I had a small advert for a movie for my PS3 copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but it was so small and just in the loading screen that I couldn't really care. It wasn't like it drew the loading screen out or anything.
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
I think a lot of companies have yet to find a way to deal with the rising cost of making games that doesn't fuck the consumer over (DLC I mean). In game ads could be a good way to do that, if done tastefully.

If a game had straight up commercials or "Have it your way" loading screens, I'd have a shit fit but if a game has billboards and radio ads for made up companies and products in the background, they may as well be for real things and help absorb the cost of producing a game.
DukeDragoon Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
You know they've gone too far if they have a 'DewThrower'.
:iconalexapdos:
alexapdos Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I don't really like it, but it can be more or less acceptable depending on the genre of game. Like if it was a nascar game, then sure I could see advertisements in it. Even games like GTA or other such games that are supposed to take place within the "real world" I could see, yet would probably throw me off a little.

Also this discussion reminds me of Code Geass, otherwise known as the most elaborate Pizza Hut commercial on the planet.
:icondorkface4:
dorkface4 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
So long as the advert isn't shown during gameplay it's ok.
DukeDragoon Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Want to play the next round?
Sit the feck down and watch this advert bitch.
:iconcoolcat10189:
coolcat10189 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I really wouldn't like that. Subliminal messages have a lot more power than most people would suspect.

Hopefully the "advertise everything" phase is starting to die out.
DukeDragoon Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
I hope so.
Add a Comment: