Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

The best free to play games you ever played?

:iconcommanderhavoc:
commanderhavoc Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
A fellow deviant suggested in my previous thread about what was the worst free to play game you ever played that I made one for what we consider the best.
And the rules are fairly simple, the game has to be free to play and not a level limited trial like World of Warcraft or any other titles.
And so, here are what I consider some of the best free to play games I ever played.

1: Blacklight: Retribution
This is actually a sequel to a download-only game called Blacklight: Tango Down that got a lot of praise for its weapon customizing mechanic and the idea of having a helmet that allows all players to see where their foes are for a limited time.
And oh boy, they really improved a lot with this one.
It is actually among the first free to play titles to actually use Direct X 11 graphics and it looks absolutely stunning.
And the weapon customizing has been vastly improved too.
A really cool thing is that you don't need to buy any of Perfect World's currency, the publisher of the game, to get any of the gun parts for perm.
I infact quite enjoy slowly building up the ingame currency until I have enough for perhaps a scope, a different barrel or a whole new body for the gun.
And you can also buy different sets of armor and gadgets for perm too with the ingame currency, although some will be quite expensive.

2: Champions Online
I just absolutely love this game.
The fact that it was the second MMO to ever focus on being a superhero of somekind, even a vigilante, makes it quite unique.
It has this colorful graphical style that reminds you a bit of the Golden Age comics, heck some of the enemies will make you think of the foes that Spiderman, Captain America and other superheroes fought back in those days.
And you can create a truely unique hero with all the various clothing attires you can aquire, I actually once saw a player who had a Luchador in a suit hero.

3: Gotham City Impostors: Free to Play
This game here used to be a buy to play download-only game that used the simply dreadful Games for Windows Live interface.
However, Monolith then decided to switch over to a free to play model and also to Steam's own service.
And oh boy, this game is a barrel of laughs.
This is what happens when you cross the world of Batman with Team Fortress 2, except instead of mercenaries , its fanatical fans of the Joker and Batman who duke it out against each other with all sorts of crazy gadgets.
There's for example a glider gadget that allows the player to glide around, provided they've either jumped from a ledge or used a vent that is blowing out hot air to fly around.
You can even divebomb other players and you even hear that classic cartoon sound effect of an airplane flying towards you.
You can also customize the character's looks, even change their voices so that they perhaps have a really low or high pitch in another language.

4: Fallen Earth
This is another one of those unique MMOs.
It is set in a post-apocalyptic US about a hundred years after a horrific nuclear war took place.
The war was caused by the goverments of the world blaming each other for releasing a virus that was called the Shiva Virus.
It first sprang up somewhere between India and Pakistan, people who contracted it experienced incredibly painful muscle contractions that made it look like they were dancing, nobody who contracted it survived.
And soon it was discovered that it was man-made, which lead to the war where nobody won.
Now over 99 % of humanity is gone and you play as one of the 1 % who struggle to survive in this hostile new world.
One of the main features of the game is that you have to scavange the wasteland for components so you can make guns, swords, armor and so on.
But first you have to visit a trainer who can sell you a book that will allow you to make the things you need.
And this game is HUGE.
Over a 1000 square miles to explore along with plenty of missions to do.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconskoochie:
Skoochie Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
League of Legends - at first i was like meh about it just seeing it on videos. But then a friend kinda forced me into playing it and i love it now. Definetively worth a try

Team Fortress 2 - Hats. Properly the best free online shooter i have played(i have like 500hours into it XD) it is free, but you have a limited bank space and can't trade.. however you can pay for premium (5€)
:iconpltnm06ghost:
Pltnm06Ghost Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
Vindictus and Dungeon Fighter Online. Been hooked on these two Nexon gems for MONTHS x_x
:icondraconicparagon:
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I didn't like Gotham City Imposters. It felt like an insult to the awesomeness and seriousness of the super sweet Batman games!
:iconsou1forged:
Sou1forged Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Writer
Lord of the Rings Online is one of the most enjoyable F2P MMO's I have played. Beautiful and nostalgic environments taken from the books, and you can take the exact same path as the Fellowship of the Ring. Too bad the music is such a lackluster. Muting the game and playing Blind Guardian music in the background does the trick though.
:iconlady-amigdala:
Lady-Amigdala Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'll say Team Fortress 2.

I didn't want to play it because before I wasn't too much into online games but it is highly addictive and I've put too many hours in it so far. :D
:iconitaliandragon:
ItalianDragon Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Blacklight Retribution & Champions Online for me ;)
:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
World of Tanks, you learn to love the grind and shit teams.
:iconakiratang:
Akiratang Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Team fortress 2,
put so many hrs into that game
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Katawa Shoujo! I'm such a girl :lol:
:iconkandorsknight:
KandorsKnight Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Team Fortress 2.
It doesn't leave you on the outside if you only play Free-To-Play, comapred to premium.
Add a Comment: