Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

guesses on the upcoming climate change?

:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As anyone who has been in the video game scene long enough knows, there are 2 notable trends that are a common occurrence in the gaming lands.

The first trend is the "3 year cycle", which (un)officially began in the year 1998. since then,every 3 years saw releases of amazing, top quality games that stood out amongst the rest. 98 had Pokémon(in the US), Ocarina, Half-Life, Parasite Eve, and so forth.2001 had GTA3, Halo, Smash Bros.Melee, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and so forth. 2004 had Halo 2, GTA San Andreas, Jak II, Half-Life 2, the Sims 2, etc. 2007 had Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, COD4, The Orange Box,Halo 3, and more. and 2010 had Super Mario Galaxy 2, DKCR, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2, and more. Now obviously there isn't 100% evidence to prove this-as some years like 2011,2005 and 2002 saw an onslaught of damn good games as well-but it does explain to an extent why many major games suddenly got delayed to 2013, as they caught the trend that "every 3 years consumers hunt down top-quality games."

The second trend is of course the trend of "Eras"- when a certain game has so huge an impact on the market that that genre dominates the market for the next 5 or so years. In the late 80s, it was 2D Platformers, the Super Mario Bros. era. in the early 90s, it was Fighting games,the Street Fighter 2 era. In the late 90s, it was the 3D Platformer, the Super Mario 64 era. in the early 00s, it was the Sandbox, the Grand Theft Auto III era. and currently, it is the First Person Shooter, the Call of Duty 4 era.

my question is this: do you believe that there are hints of another era change next year? the last two eras-GTA3 and COD4's- both happen in the era of the 3-year cycle(2001 and 2007.) on top of that, the popularity of COD online has slowly gone down in recent years, as shown by Minecraft surpassing a COD game as the most played game on Live-the first time since the era began. has there been hints in the recent years that lead to this possibility? and form these hints, can we decipher what genre of game will rule the next several years?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Interesting observation. If there is any truth to it, it could be because good games take longer to develop, or it could be because it may take a couple of years for gaming companies to start realizing "Our sales aren't getting any better since we're letting too much shit slip through the cracks. Time to once again give fans what they actually want" :idea:

Next gaming phase could be party games, even though I cringe at the thought. I think the Wii U might make them more popular if they do a better job of them than the Wii did. Large amounts of people can be attracted to games that aren't 100% photo-realistic and filled with blood and violence, provided they are fun enough. Just look at Angry Birds for instance. Such a simple game concept and graphic-wise, yet you can't turn around in a store without seeing hot-selling Angry Birds crap :crazy: I think maybe some people might start getting bored of these hyper-realistic shooters and racers and may start favouring things that look and feel unique. That is something I would look forward to, a little more colour and diversity in the top-charters :)
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
The future is paid downloads. Steam is the leading example.

The future after that is paid downloads, DRM free :B
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Overall, I see that things may shift towards more Linux/Unix in the near future, if Windows continues to be so incredibly closed about who gets to use the store; having cashed in way too late once again. Nintendo has made a mistake of being the first to move once again, and the tablet is doing little to innovate or win favors.
Add a Comment: