Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Rayman Origins... thoughts?

:iconmemmil:
Memmil Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What do you think about Rayman origins? If you've played previous games in the main series do you think taht it is as good? If you don't like it, why?

I have enjoyed every game in the series and even Rayman M spinoff was fun. Series has been a huge influence in my imagination and was one of the things which made me interested in drawing as a kid.

Every game has had it's totally own atmosphere and clear identity still having the same art design, interesting soundtracks and funny characters.

Rayman Origins left me a bit confused because it didn't feel the same as previous games in the series. It was very well designed and enjoyable game but it had lost something i liked in other installments. I'll make you a list of small and big things that annoys me.

- Too few characters. The Glade of Dreams had always felt very saturated with interesting and weird characters but there they're all missing. just Rayman, Globox, Teensies, Nymphs and Bubble Dreamer (re-designed Polokus?). It feels like only good guys are this small group and the rest are villains. More stuff like Tarayzan, Joe and Musician in Rayman 1!

- Minimal story and dialog. Story has never been important part of these games but they've always been clear and never really stupid. Here the story is totally unclear and makes gamer think what it all is about. There should've been even some sort of tiny side stories in each world at least. Dialog is also totally missing and makes game a bit boring.

- Feels a bit incomplete and rushed. First the whole game's idea was to tell origins of Rayman and Globox and tell something new about their world. That seemed very interesting but all that potential was lost when they changed the whole consept. In the beginning Rayman was stupid, but because this is sequel to Rayman 3 it feels a bit weird that he is left with the same design as in the original idea. Origins as a title is now a bit questionable.

- Doing the same thing over and over again. This is like Mario. Every world is similiar despite visual differences and music. When i had finished two first world i knew excactly what was going to happen in the next one. Different characters, locations (like houses/buildings) and dialog could've brought a lot to this game.

- Too easy. Difficulty being mostly based on memorizing the levels is quite well executed - game is as difficult and easy to both young and old. You don't even have to collect every electoon to get to the land of Livid Dead. It doesn't feel very rewarding to collect them just to get couple new skins. I loved how you had to get everything 100% in Rayman 1 and old Spyros if you wanted to enter the very last level.

- Enemies. They're more like obstacles you can pass by hitting them once. Most of them are even standing still and doing nothing to make you suffer.

- Design. Everyone has that stupid smile on their face. I've always thought that Rayman is smart and witty guy but here he is like a fool. What happened to you Rayman? Did someone brainwahs you after Rayman 3?

I really appreciate you Michel Ancel and you're a great game designer and all, but why did you not make use of all that potential that lies behind Rayman's amazing world? This game is well designed to achieve as wide audience as possible but as a Rayman fan im not very pleased with the results. Designers must hate to do the same game over and over again, but maybe you should concentrate more on the world and story instead of simplistic mario-like gameplay. If you want to make games like that please use someone else but not Rayman! He is way too interesting character for such games.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadowangel3:
ShadowAngel3 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Based on the demo I've played, I think it's a good game. It's kinda weird, but I'm willing to overlook that because it's fun and I like the art style.
:icongh-mongo:
GH-MoNGo Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional
Those "chase the treasure chest" levels are a pain in the crotch. Also the visual style is nice, but a poor mask for some fundamental flaws in gameplay.
:iconbre-ishurna:
Bre-Ishurna Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Seems cute. Speaking of cute, I saw a little girl playing Rayman Origins at Gamestop. It was adorable :iconawwplz:
:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think you may mean Rayman Legends(the new one for Wii-U.)

still adorable moment is adorable. :)
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
And yes, everyone in the game looks so forced-happy it's like they're tormented and crying on the inside
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
A generic platformer that focuses too much on the visuals, which is like some kind of a weird french humor I don't get
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Sort of wished it had an ending.
Add a Comment: