Favorite Super Mario title?

The Super Mario series has been out since the 1980s and still going quite strong. Which title of the mustached plumber is your most favorite? Mine would certainly be Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64 system. It was a blast exlporing the Mushroom Kingdom in 3D, collecting all those power stars.
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
yoshi's island
Well, I'll tell you what Mario games I DIDN'T like so to break the monotony:
-Super Mario Galaxy. It was sooo easy, and the parts that were extremely hard weren't much fun to play because of the semi-awkward controls. I also though that the player never really got a chance to move around because of the segmented level design. But on the other hand, the music was really nice and visually it was very creative. Still, I'd have to say that this is the most overrated Mario title.
-Super Mario Sunshine. Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game. The controls are excellent and the level design allows for some really fun platforming. But something...depressing about it. It didn't have the catchy or beautiful music that we've come to expect from the series. And the voice acting and storyline was atrocious. With those arguments aside, it's still a pretty fun game. Just don't walk into this Mario title expecting the greatness that the series is known for.
Now, for the BEST in the series: Super Mario World. I say this because I actually haven't spent enough time with the other 2d mario games, such as Super Mario Bros 3 and Yoshi's island. And honorable mention for this title: Super Mario 64.
Super Mario Galaxy. It was sooo easy, and the parts that were extremely hard weren't much fun to play because of the semi-awkward controls. I also though that the player never really got a chance to move around because of the segmented level design. But on the other hand, the music was really nice and visually it was very creative. Still, I'd have to say that this is the most overrated Mario title.

It may be worth checking the sequel out, since it's generally regarded as being more challenging without making you feel like it's the game's fault when you die all the time. A few of the levels are pretty easy, but my hat's off to you if you can get all 242 stars.
Also, these soundtracks:
[link]
[link]
Does it have motion controls?
You point at the screen to shoot little star bits at enemies, and you shake it to spin, but aside from that there isn't any.
Well I do like the three NES games, Mario & Luigi series, Super Mario Galaxy 2, not the first one, New Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 and even Wii, and Super Mario 3D Land. I do kinda like Super Mario Land 2: the Six Golden Coins. The Mario Vs. Donkey Kong series is good as well as the Paper Mario series. I love Dr Mario and Luigi's Mansion.
Super Mario 2, Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi Island series. =P
Apart from the obvious answer of Super Mario 64, I absolutely loved Sunshine. I loved the environment, and even though a lot of people disliked Fludd, I thought it was an interesting addition and actually could have been a lot worse. I also really loved the throwback levels. And the enemies were just so silly and awesome...so overall, one of my favorite games.
So many to choose from. I really liked Super Mario Sunshine because I'm a sucker for colourful, tropical level themes in games and Sunshine was full of it :sun: I actually feel like it's a good game to play during the Summertime and it was very challenging too which I liked. In fact, I still haven't gotten all shine sprites. I always fall a couple short due to some blue coins I'll never find. But I like getting them via the actual stages, including the extra/secret ones each land holds. A lot of people complained about FLUDD, but with the amount of times FLUDD's hover nozzle saved my ass after doing a poorly-judged jump - all I can say is that I could have really used that in Super Mario 64 :lmao:

The Super Mario Galaxy games are great too. Sorta like a more refined version of Super Mario 64, with the crazy and unique feature to be able to walk all the way around some of those mini-planets which is very fun and also add to the challenge. Plus they are visually beautiful as well.

For side-scrollers I'd have to say Super Mario Bros 3 (nostalgia alert :D) and New Super Mario Bros Wii :)
I really don't understand why Sunshine got so much flack. I fucking loved it! :dummy: I had the same problem though, couldn't 100% the game because of those like 17 blue coins I missed somewhere that I'll never be able to find. :stare:
Same here. I could even say the same thing about Sonic with "Sonic Heroes" - I loved that game to death, but the Sonic community seems to bitch about it as much as the Mario community bitches about Sunshine. And neither game really deserves it :no:

I did notice that some blue coins would only appear in one or two "stages" within each level, as each time you re-entered the same level to get the next shine sprite from that area, a few minor things changed or were added (like those graffiti walls that give you blue coins when you spray them off which appear in only certain levels, as well as those blue butterflies that you make Yoshi eat to give you blue coins etc) But even when scouring each stage of each level, I still fell short. Like you it was probably by around that much :hmm:
Yoshi's Island and Mario Galaxies for me.

Yoshi's Island for being incredibly fun and full of variety without feeling too brief or too overused.

Mario Galaxy for boiling down the frankly clunky level design of Mario 64 and Sunshine and having an incredible sense of progression through levels.
2D
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 (if it counts)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World

2.5D
New Super Mario Bros. 2 + Coin Rush Mode

3D
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Brothers 3 is a classic. The Toonaki suit was a blast to use.
Indeed.:nod: Although my favorite suit is the Hammer suit. Beating up those stone monsters and boos are so satisfying.8-)
I loved Mario Galaxy 2, but my all-time favorite Mario game has to be Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Also, Mario Stikers Charged is my favorite Mario sports game.
Super Mario World is the greatest Mario game of all time. And Mario should stay in 2D sidescrollers/platformers; aside from Sunshine, all the other 3D games I've played have been terrible.
Sunshine was the worst 3D title for me. The gameplay with FLUDD felt out of place. Maybe I should give it another playthrough soon.
The 3D title I thought was the worst was Galaxy. I just didn't like the movement or how the levels were split into many little planets and you hop planet to planet.
That bothered me as well at first, but I got used to it.
Super Mario 64 was really special to me because it was my first game. :D But my favorite...that's hard to decide. I really liked the RPG series and the Paper series.