Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

What pokemon starter should i chose?

:iconblue-diamond-shadow:
Blue-Diamond-Shadow Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hi Deviants! im going to start pokemon platinum and i have no idea which starter to pick! i've done some research on moves stats and all of that but they all look so epic! im thinking about chimchar but i could do with some advice...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhusyada:
HusYada Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I prefer Turtwig because:
1) High Attack and Defense despite loss of Speed
2) It can use recovery abitlities such as Synethsis and Mega Drain
3) Strong dual atttacks like Eathquake and Rock Slide
Overall - He's a tank good for withstanding long batles, either on WiFi or just Battle Frontier in genral
:icondeithmare:
Deithmare Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just go with what you enjoy. People can't tell you what -you- enjoy.
:icondarkflow215:
Darkflow215 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i always choose the fire starter.
Blue-Diamond-Shadow Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you sound like me! :lol:
:icondarkflow215:
Darkflow215 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lol:
:iconeverpetals:
EverPetals Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No matter what I always pick a fire pokemon as my starter. Even if that's weird it's just how I am. I only use about four or five pokemon for the whole game.
lol you sound like me!
The starter or how I play the game or both if you like.
either. i dont mind =D
Alright~
:icontakoto:
Takoto Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I went with Piplup in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. I hate monkeys and Turtwig was boring ;;
Blue-Diamond-Shadow Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
fair enough...
:iconurahameshi:
UraHameshi Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I always go with fire types, in Pearl I picked Chimchar :)
:iconbananaspliit:
BananaSpliit Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
I would answer if it was one of the first 3 gens, but I cannot tell anything for 4th and 5th gen since I hate them anyway :P
fair play... i don't like 5th gen but 4th gen's my favorite! and i like all of the others aswell!
BananaSpliit Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
4th is actually okay, but I can't stand some pokemon's design.
Though I start kind of liking 5th gen since I started playing Black 2
lol i think i might have to get white 2 then because A: you can get riolu early one in the game B: i hate 5th gen and if it makes me like them more im all for it!
BananaSpliit Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Yeah, when I saw Riolu in the Ranch, I jumped on him.
5th gen problem are that some pokemon designs are... lazy. Like that trash bag pokemon, really...
But Black 2 and White 2 do have a lot of pokemons from older gen, so it kind of compensate the problem.
Blue-Diamond-Shadow Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
cool! and i know... i like the zoura line but thats it...
:iconmizukiimoon:
MizukiiMoon Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I would go with Piplup ^_^
from what i have so far im most likely to use chimchar because i like the hit fast and hard types... if chimchar didn't exist i would go for piplup cause there cute!
:iconmadnessofmana:
MadnessOfMana Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I chose Piplup on Diamond, and used him through to the end, but on Pearl, Chimchar kicked ass. I was trying to make an entire PMD-L team, so I got a female shiny chimchar and named her Melody, and accidentally captured a shiny Arceus who I just used now and then in case Melody died (It was a low level anyway). I only used Melody until I was able to get a Roselia that I could evolve into Roserade, a female Pichu who I evolved into a Pikachu and named Alice and gather the rest of my team (Shuppet named Ebony, a Nincada and a male Riolu named Aaron who knew explosion).

But try to do a lot of training before the first gym and evolve it into Monferno. Because that should get rid of most of the weakness to rock types. And you should even have some good fighting-type moves by then.
ok thanks for the advice!
MadnessOfMana Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Welkcome! Excuse typos ^^; anyway who did you pick, accidentally deleted journal ^^;
Blue-Diamond-Shadow Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i chose chimchar.
MadnessOfMana Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nice ^^
:iconmrgamezone:
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
I think it's best just to let yourself pick. These people are very different from you, and therefore have different opinions about the starters. You can tell very clearly from the replies you've received so far. It is YOUR opinion that matters. They're not playing your game.
hrmm... ok thanks... i'll do just that!
:iconmrgamezone:
MrGameZone Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
You're welcome.
:iconskytch:
Skytch Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Just always go with grass. Grass types kick ass.
:iconh3ll0mynameiskibs:
H3LL0mynameiskibs Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Chimchar is great for attack and speed. for a well balanced team have a flying type and a grass type. I know from experience that almost no team is greater than an Infernape and a Staraptor.

Piplup's evolution, Empoleon is great because it's part steel type. Give it a quick claw for speed. Balance it with a fire type and an electric type.

Turtwig is my personal favorite. It has great power and speed if you have a quick claw. Balance it out with a flying type and a electric type.

That's my opinion and advice after growing up with pokemon stuff everywhere in my house.
hrrmmm... im considering all of the starters but im leaning towards chimchar myself... im a real hit fast and hard person... not to mention the fact if you but a level 60 torterra against my level 20 garyados torterra goes down in 2 turns... the hail and blizzard combo send's it down like a sack of spuds!
Yes true... And I still think you'd do great with a Infernape Staraptor combo so...
yeah but it's so damn hard! i like chimchar and it's part of my childhood upbringing... he was my starter in pearl and my cousin who was 4 at the time didn't understand pokemon and called infernape fire monkey so it became Blitz's (my infernape) new nickname...
Hmm... I'm doing Platinum with a Piplup and I think it's good, but choose whoever you think is best for you.
i have tried piplup... i used it on my cousins game and that would most likely be my second choice...
Aah.
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Chimchar will maul the first two badges provided you evolve him into a Monferno before the first. Infernape is a bit of a slow learner in regards of good moves, but he'll get into the swing of things when you need him to. Close Combat and Mach Punch are his ace cards, and Flame Wheel has a nice base power until you teach him Fire Punch or wait 'till Flare Blitz. The fire monkey is an offensive beast, but one good smack and he's got a glass jaw. The good thing is he can learn Thunder Punch and Shadow Claw to cover his weaknesses, but keep in mind that an Alakazam will outspeed him by a mile. (A hard lesson I learned during a Platinum Nuzlocke...)

Turtwig is an interesting sort, carrying a lot of nice bulk, but horrible defensive typing when he goes Torterra. One frosty blast and his bulk counts for nothing, which doesn't help that ice-types are generally swift as a rule. Make sure to nab a good fire type to compliment him! The fact that he learns Reflect and Bite early on make him a nice little wall, and the catastrophic damage he does with Wood Hammer and Earthquake are aided by the benefit of Leech Seed. His TM/tutor versatility is awful, but with incredible STAB attacks and a little help from Leech Seed, he compensates for it.

Piplup starts off with the worst STAB move of the three: Bubble, at a mere 20 base power. Your little penguin isn't going to be killing much, but that's natural for the amazing defensive typing he has in being water/steel as an Empoleon. He'll be lacking in STAB moves until you have your 7th badge, (yikes) but after that, he'll have a nice setup which can include Surf, Flash Cannon, Ice beam, and Grass Knot/Stealth Rock. Like Torterra, he has amazing bulk, but do keep in mind that his unique typing comes with weaknesses to Fighting and Ground attacks while removing his resistance to Fire. To his benefit, he only takes 1/4 damage from ice types, half from dragon, and is completely IMMUNE to poison attacks! Empoleon can be a nice little specially-offensive wall, and much better at the setup game than Torterra.
right from what you said im thinking about piplup but from other comments im thinking about chimchar this is HARD! and thanks for giving me this info it's really helpful!
Between Chimchar and Piplup, here's some things to think about.

Infernape has great versatility and sheer power, but he's made of glass.

Empoleon has great bulk and defenses, but he can't dole out the damage too fast.

In addition, water is one of the more common types in the Sinnoh region (Floatzel, Gastrodon, Gyarados) where as fire types are exceedingly rare. (Your other option being Rapidash).

So with that in mind, do want a rare fire type that hits all types fast and hard, or a water type with bulk and support options instead of power? (Keep in mind that Gastrodon also has excellent bulk)
ummm...
god damn this is hard! but looking at your previous message... when infernape comes with moves like shadow claw and thunder punch which are both badass i think i'll go for chimchar...thanks a bunch for the help!
Good luck, trainer!
:iconprofessoroakplz:
professor oak? where did you come from?!
:iconprofessoroakplz:
The Portal of Convenience, how else would I know when you plan to ride your bike in a building?
have you been following me?
have you been following me?
flash backs to yesterday when i tried too...
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Get a Totodile.
ummm... this is for the shinnoh region... but i have to agree totodile is epic!
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Challenge yourself to 251 and below.
:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
It probably depends on your playstyle; Infernape hits fast and hard whether he's using special or physical attacks, but don't expect him to take a ton of hits. Torterra is slow, but he also hits hard and can tank like a champ. Empoleon doesn't have any specific strengths, but has an awesome typing and is an all-around great Pokemon to have.

In the end, you should probably pick the one you like the best.
Add a Comment: