Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

PS3 Consoles?

:iconurfallenangel90:
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I bought the original PS3 about a year after it was released. I didn't have any kind of problems until 3 years ago when the blu-ray player stopped reading discs, and the console started to overheat pretty fast. I got it repaired and the blue-ray was fixed, but not long after it started overheating again, and stopped working.
I was gonna get another one, but a friend of mine had gotten an original console right after mine stopped working, and he ended up having to take it apart several times, almost right outta the box, and had several issues with it. I don't wanna get another original, but I've heard that the slimeline models were having some kinda issues, but I'm not really sure if that's true or not.

So, which would be the better nodel to get? Do the slimlines work better than the originals, or have just as many issues? I wanna get another one for my kids for Yule, but I don't wanna have to take it back, or get stuck with it if it's gonna break after the warranty runs out, lol. Opinions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Isn't there a function to make the fan spin in reverse direction to dislodge dust? Because things can overheat from too much dust.
Not as I've seen or heard of. It would definitely help, so I wouldn't have to dust every-other-day; it kills my sinuses, lol.
:iconmrgamer01:
MRGamer01 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you mean the fan test, there's that big concern that it actually damages the system rather than doing it any good. It's been debated back and forth on Playstation forums and Youtube. I did a quick search for it again after this being the first time in a long time of hearing about it, and seems like only the 40GB may be immune to the overheat issue.
:iconanimperfectdream:
AnImperfectDream Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
From what I've seen the old chunky PS3s have a worse track record than the standard slim.

My own 60gb Fat PS3 eventually gave out on me after a year and a half, it developed overheating problems that literally cannot be permanently fixed. Once your console gets the YLOD, it's pretty much screwed.

As for my Slim which replaced the old PS3, I have only ever had a few problems with it, one of which seemed to fix itself and could possible have been caused by a power surge in my house, rather than an existing hardware fault. The other issue was a problem with the blu-ray player, like your PS3 did, my Slim stopped reading discs. A simple fix later and it runs smoothly again.

Good ventilation and maintenance (something as simple as dusting the damn thing once in a while) is the key to keeping a PS3 healthy . The Slim might not heat up to the same extent as the original PS3, but it still builds to a decent temperature. I can't really take care of mine as well as I'd like as I have a small room, but I do my best.

Even though I had more problems with the slim in terms of volume (one issue may not have even been an issue with the Slim itself), that grand total of two minor faults are nothing compared to the major hardware failure that my first PS3 received.

Long story short: Go for the slim, they're quieter, generate less heat and are built to be more efficient than the launch model Playstation 3.
Thanks, Caim. Mine was thr 69gb, too and I thought I was gonna die when it quit. I bought it at Wal-Mart, and even though it was the Xmas after it came out, I still paid a little over $1,000 for it, because everywhere else was out of 'em. Everyone's told me I should just go to Xbox, but I'm too much of a PSs loyalist. I don't think I've ever even touched an Xbox controler.

I know a lot of people keep their PSs on stand-by or whatever it is, but we always shut ours down completely. Hah, my friend who kept theirs on stand-by all the time never had heating problems :unimpressed:. I remember picked my PS3 up one day and it sounded like a little piece of something was loose inside, but we took it apart and never found anything.

It's like consoles are just giant dust magnets. There's a cement factory behind the 3rd house down from us, so it stays dusty in the house from it. We kept it cleaned out and ventilated pretty good... then again, we have to have 5 fans in our desktop (3 extra) to keep it from overheating.

Seems like the slims would be the better option. My kids have been bugging me for the last 2 months with "are we getting a new playstation, huh? Huh? Huh?" Lol.
Add a Comment: