Can't Install Warcraft: 3: The Frozen Throne on Windows 7

Ok after I installed Warcraft 3 I started to install the Frozen Throne expansion pack. When the autorun menu opened up it says I need to install Warcraft 3. What do I do?

I've got Windows 7 but I've heard it happens on Vista as well.

P.S: I put this thread in the Gaming Forum instead of the Software one cos that's more for stuff like photoshop.
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you were trying to install the EXPANSION PACK, then should it be safe to assume you HAVE the main game already installed? If not, there is your problem. Frozen throne is not a stand-alone game. You are required to have Warcraft III already installed before installing Warcaft III: the Frozen Throne expansion pack.

If you DO have Warcraft III installed already and are trying to install the expansion pack, insert the disc for the expansion into your CD/DVD tray, and close it. Go to 'My Computer'. Right-click on the drive that has the disc in it, and choose explore. Look for an executable file in the root directory of the disc named something along the lines of installer. Right-click on that, go to properties, and go to the compatibility tab. There will be a dropdown bar with choices. You want to choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and hit ok. Now rightclick on that executable again, and choose run as administrator, and it should work.
Frozen Throne isn't standalone

And with that he can't install it without installing Reign of Chaos first, which he did mention doing. :bucktooth:
There is sometimes a small error when installing, whether it is due to a small scratch on the disk causing data loss, or your cd drive just hiccup'd. Try uninstalling and completely re-installing.
If your Warcraft III discs are registered with Blizzard via a battle.net account (Required to register the CD Keys online at installation) you can download the game installer for free. There may be an updated version of the installer that is up to date for Windows 7 there.
Try copying the CD's files to a hard drive directory and running from there with the compatibility mode 'run as admin' (right click, properties, compatibility).
why play the old games anyway?? there is WoW now.
WoW sucks now and they are entirely different games.

Warcraft 3- Strategy/RPG

WoW- MMORPG
i used to play wc3...and i disagree with u. WOW is way better.
They're still entirely different game genres. You can't do any real comparison between them without looking like a doofus. :bucktooth:
Subjective and irrelevant.
well, considering they are two entirely different genres of game... that could possibly be the reason why. :P